Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,284 times

Advertisements

I live in Bloomington in 2 BD apartment. I'm a single mom with 2 boys, want to upgrade our "squarefootage". We would love to stay in Bloomington, but the prices on the houses are high. Kids go to a good charter school there and don't really want to move to another part of town at all.
My options are St.Paul, we can go to a similar charter school there(a house on the Sturgis st., not far from the 7th , almost near downtown) or town homes in the "valley". That's farther to drive to work and any of the public schools.
Is St.Paul even possibly could be good for a single mom with kids? we are russians (kids are doing great in school). Can anybody give me good advise?
I like big old houses there for a good price, historic area... but what is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,485,750 times
My answer: Absolutely. St Paul has so many great areas, I'd encourage any parent to move there. I live in Minneapolis which also has many good areas. But my sister-in-law gave birth while living in Merriam Park. Her kids are now 20 and 18. They've lived what I consider a close to ideal life. Great academics, international travel, smart and involved parents. Merriam Park is a bit more expensive than where I live, but not ridiculous. And the father of the family has worked at the U and VA and ran to work practically every day on the River Road which is about 4 blocks away. So many perks it is unbelievable. They made an amazing choice when they bought their house which I think cost $114,000. Not sure what the average is now, but when I think of all the ways they've saved money, the house might be still a fantastic bargain.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,284 times
Thanks! It sounds incouraging (too bad no spelling check here, I mentioned I'm Russian)! But the house is very close to downtown (near Smith ave)! Kind of cool feeling , but...anyway?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labtn View Post
Thanks! It sounds incouraging (too bad no spelling check here, I mentioned I'm Russian)! But the house is very close to downtown (near Smith ave)! Kind of cool feeling , but...anyway?
I am sure the house has a lot of potential but just be aware that the neighborhood there in St. Paul is one of the worst in the city. It might be worth talking to the police department from that area before you make the move.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,756,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am sure the house has a lot of potential but just be aware that the neighborhood there in St. Paul is one of the worst in the city. It might be worth talking to the police department from that area before you make the move.
Not even close to being one of the worst neighborhoods in St Paul! Frogtown, Payne/Phalen, Dayton's Bluff, West St Paul & large chunks of Hamline/Midway & Summit U are all worse than that area on W 7th & that's off the top of my head. Is it perfect, no, but it's no hot-spot for crime & should definitely be looked at. It's a blue collar, working neighborhood & one I think has a lot of value because it has great older housing stock for cheap, is close to Downtown St Paul, close to Summit/Grand Aves & has plenty of shopping, restaurants, bars, parks up & down W 7th st. There are plenty of grade schools in the area & they feed into Highland Park Jr High & High School which are both fine schools.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM

411 posts, read 993,571 times
Some people get scared just crossing the border into Mpls or St. Paul.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 PM

83 posts, read 130,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Actually, the West End is one of the safer areas of St. Paul. Below is a link to current crime statistics.

City of St. Paul, MN - Official Website

Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Not even close to being one of the worst neighborhoods in St Paul! Frogtown, Payne/Phalen, Dayton's Bluff, West St Paul & large chunks of Hamline/Midway & Summit U are all worse than that area on W 7th & that's off the top of my head. Is it perfect, no, but it's no hot-spot for crime & should definitely be looked at. It's a blue collar, working neighborhood & one I think has a lot of value because it has great older housing stock for cheap, is close to Downtown St Paul, close to Summit/Grand Aves & has plenty of shopping, restaurants, bars, parks up & down W 7th st. There are plenty of grade schools in the area & they feed into Highland Park Jr High & High School which are both fine schools.
It's better than the North End too.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM

391 posts, read 660,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
It's better than the North End too.
Yeah I thought we won worst neighborhood! Maybe it was Frogtown... so hard to keep track.

You should definitely check out the safety aspect of a neighborhood as a matter of course, but West 7th has a lot going for it, good shopping and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul