Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times

Advertisements

And--once again, this survey shows how many IP kids at Southwest take IB tests and nothing more....if you ask anyone in education they will all say the same thing, it's meaningless because it really doesn't test any substantial information about the quality of the school. Keep in mind that kids don't have to PASS any of these tests, just take them, so a school that requires all kids to take one test get's ranked #1--meaningless....especially when they are comparing schools where 100's of kids take the AP tests to Southwest's 20 or 30 kids in the IB program...meaningless....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:04 PM

110 posts, read 261,536 times
I don't know if I would say that the list is meaningless...it correlates with a lot of people's opinions about best schools. I think that if one was to argue the best schools it may be missing Mound-Westonka, Mounds view, and Wayzata. Ultimately, every high school is based on some type of fundamental achievement. different fundamentals will breed different results--but, usually the top 10 toggle amongst themselves.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM

687 posts, read 1,255,711 times
"Best High School" means that it had the most kids take at least one IB and AP exams. If I was an administrator, I bet I could figure out how to up my schools ranking pretty easily. Note that Southwest has more IB participants than students who are proficient in math on the state exams.

The exam pass rates for Southwest are also 48% on AP and 66% on IB.

The rest of the "top 10" in the state exam pass rates:
Edina: 86% for AP
Mahtomedi: 75% for AP
St. Louis Park: 60% for AP, 67% for IB
Eastview (Apple Valley): 87% for AP
Central (St. Paul): 51% for AP, 42% for IB [Central has 81% participating in IB, but only 45% of students can pass the state math test!]
Minnetonka: 86% for AP, 83% for IB
TrekNorth (Bemidji): 67% for AP
St. Anthony: 65% for AP
Eagan: 83% for AP

At least the report has some sortable stats for Math proficiency and Reading proficiency.

Math top 10 in state:
Mounds View
Wayzata
Edina
Chanhassen
Chokio-Alberta
Leroy
Minnetonka
Mahtomedi
Centennial
Century (Rochester)

Reading top 10:
Edina
Hancock
Mounds View
Lancaster
Fertile-Beltrami
Minnetonka
Mahtomedi
Lincoln (Esko)
Greenbush-Middle River
Mound-Westonka

Old 05-08-2012, 05:09 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
I did find the Strib article. It didn't sound like there was an overwhelming movement to Southwest. I still think there's likely more movement to the suburban districts out that direction than to SW. If I'm looking at the same article, it was more about kids continuing NOT to choose North, rather than many of them flocking to Southwest specifically (although it did cite one bus that went to SW). Kids who qualify for the Choice is Yours have had that option for quite some time now. The story seemed to be more about the difficulties in changing existing trends, rather than anything new. Choice is Yours kids have, I think, been able to come to Southwest for as long as the program has been around, while North Minneapolis kids who don't qualify for that have a much tougher time getting into SW these days because of space limitations. (back when I was in school there there were more spaces available, and because IB was more limited the magnet program drew on a much larger swath of the city. That's no longer the case.). In any case, not questioning whether or not north kids are choosing SW -- I just don't believe think there's been any big change on that front.

And while this may or may not be an issue for parents who choose to send their kids out of the neighborhood anyway, I'm not kidding when I say there's a lot of resentment towards Southwest among some people in Minneapolis.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
And--once again, this survey shows how many IP kids at Southwest take IB tests and nothing more....if you ask anyone in education they will all say the same thing, it's meaningless because it really doesn't test any substantial information about the quality of the school. Keep in mind that kids don't have to PASS any of these tests, just take them, so a school that requires all kids to take one test get's ranked #1--meaningless....especially when they are comparing schools where 100's of kids take the AP tests to Southwest's 20 or 30 kids in the IB program...meaningless....
Now I respect your right to have an opinion, however unfounded it is, but I wish you would please, please, get your facts right -- we've gone over this countless times, and your ongoing assertion that there are only 20 or 30 kids in the IB program is simply factually wrong. There's no room around THAT. You're just flat-out totally wrong, and given that you've had this pointed out many, many times (or could just look up the numbers yourself if you don't believe people on this board) it's rather irresponsible to continue to spout numbers that you know are incorrect.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:37 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Quote:
....especially when they are comparing schools where 100's of kids take the AP tests to Southwest's 20 or 30 kids in the IB program...meaningless....
Once again, as uptown_urbanist points out, you are way, way off on this number, to such a degree that it can only be based on imagination.

As of July, 2008, Southwest had 750 students, about one-third of its student body, enrolled in the IB program. I'm sure more recent numbers are available, but I only spent 60 seconds finding this data.

http://ibmn.org/pdf/IB%20Profile%20S...st%2007-08.pdf

Do you care to retract your statement now?

Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Once again, as uptown_urbanist points out, you are way, way off on this number, to such a degree that it can only be based on imagination.

As of July, 2008, Southwest had 750 students, about one-third of its student body, enrolled in the IB program. I'm sure more recent numbers are available, but I only spent 60 seconds finding this data.

http://ibmn.org/pdf/IB%20Profile%20S...st%2007-08.pdf

Do you care to retract your statement now?
Again, you are comparing 1/3 of a school population to schools where 70+% of the kids take at least 1 AP test....again, the results are meaningless as it does not evaluate any output data and as northsub pointed out, only 48% of those kids are passing the tests, that is more telling than anything I think....

Feel free to keep thinking that SW is actually a "good" school, it is a school that has a handful of good students, that is quite different. What about the other 8o% of the kids that aren't graduating or barely pass their classes, let's talk about them for a while shall we? How about the 95+% graduation rate in the other schools around the state? How about talking about a meaningful measure of a school vs kids taking, yes TAKING, but not PASSING a test, one test....

Also, if you examine the data from USNWR, only 73% of the seniors in the IB program took an IB test, and of those kids they averaged a little over 2 tests each and only 66% passing rate on those tests and only 7.9% of the student body is full IB, so again you are comparing a VERY small portion of that school to the majority of the kids at the other schools....

Last edited by golfgal; 05-08-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Now I respect your right to have an opinion, however unfounded it is, but I wish you would please, please, get your facts right -- we've gone over this countless times, and your ongoing assertion that there are only 20 or 30 kids in the IB program is simply factually wrong. There's no room around THAT. You're just flat-out totally wrong, and given that you've had this pointed out many, many times (or could just look up the numbers yourself if you don't believe people on this board) it's rather irresponsible to continue to spout numbers that you know are incorrect.
88 kids at Southwest passed an IB test....according to USSWR that is..feel free to run the numbers yourself

Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferr0052 View Post
I don't know if I would say that the list is meaningless...it correlates with a lot of people's opinions about best schools. I think that if one was to argue the best schools it may be missing Mound-Westonka, Mounds view, and Wayzata. Ultimately, every high school is based on some type of fundamental achievement. different fundamentals will breed different results--but, usually the top 10 toggle amongst themselves.
They are listed, but slightly farther down...

Mounds View #13
Wayzata #16
Mound-Westonka #17

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Quote:
Again, you are comparing 1/3 of a school population to schools where 70+% of the kids take at least 1 AP test....again, the results ....etc., etc.
No, I am not. I am demonstrating that your statement that there were 20-30 kids in Southwest's IB program was wildly inaccurate. Nice try at changing the subject from your error, though. So, we get that retraction now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul