Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,191 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I know you have probably all heard (read) this before, but I am gonna go ahead and post anyways...
My husband has a potential job transfer opportunity to a place in Eagan. They pay would be in the area of 90K a year. We have 5 children ages 10 and under who are active in baseball/softball/basketball. We have 2 vehicles that we are making payments on for another year. We would want to rent in a safe, family friendly area with good schools, good health care, the availability of youth sports and that would be fairly close to his work. So, rent would need to be in the 2500 dollar or less range with a little bit of flexibility. Is this possible, or should we just forget about it and continue to look elsewhere for a transfer (Born and raised in Texas, currently about to finish 1 year in the Birmingham, Alabama area and absolutely hate it here-not Hispanic friendly, or interracial couple friendly at all, and that poses a problem because I am white and he is Hispanic). So fill me in, slap me with the harsh realities, just want the straight up honest truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Eagan sounds perfect for you. It's close to work, excellent schools, activities, etc. Just stay in the 196 schools or the 197 schools. Avoid the Burnsville/Savage areas of Eagan. Rent should be doable for a house in the area too.

Harsh realities--it's a lot colder up here than it is in Texas in the winter

Old 06-27-2012, 05:39 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,007 times
I would be generally inclined to agree that Eagan would be worthwhile to consider. Eagan will be family-friendly, safe, should be able to find a place within your listed budget, assuming your employer offers a decent plan no particular worries on health care and from what I hear School District 196 or 197 will offer good schools with sports options.

Eagan is suburban and highly car-oriented, though you didn't mention you specifically wanted an "urban" environment.

Realities:

--As mentioned, significantly colder a good portion of the year - love the cold and snow from about late October through March or April.
--Though you can find rentals at the price you want, cost of living is also more expensive than Birmingham, including taxes. I think you can make it on the income you list, but note what $90,000 buys in Birmingham will not buy as much in Minnesota.
--Minnesota is well known as one of the highest taxed states (on the same note of the higher cost of living).
--Though Minnesota is not known for much outright racism or racial animosity, the state in general and certainly Eagan is a highly white population. I don't think you'll have any significant problems but if you accustomed to a very diverse demographic, you will find it pretty homogenous here.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I think it's certainly doable, but $2,500 seems too high for rent on that salary, especially since you have car loans and five kids. Admittedly my recent rental experience has been in tighter rental markets, but that's a higher rent/debt/income ratio that most landlords would prefer (or that I would feel comfortable with, but obviously that's more personal) I'm not sure what the rental market is like in Eagan or the surrounding areas, but you'd probably find more landlords willing to rent to you if you drop your rental budget. A quick craigslist search shows large rentals in the $1500-$1800 price range, though, so I think you'd be able to go lower and still be able to be comfortable.

Eagan and the surrounding area is still very white, but I doubt you'll encounter racism. An old friend lives in Inver Grove Heights (Eagan-adjacent) with a Hispanic/white family, and as far as I know they haven't had any trouble. They're also not the only interracial Hispanic/white household in their neighborhood.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,007 times
Is $2500 based on 1/3 of estimated income ($90K/3 = $30,000, $30,000/12 = $2500)? That is a general rule I've seen landlords here use for income qualifications. That said, you could likely find a comfortable home on less money, which would free up dollars for other expenses (which I'll still maintain could be more expensive than Birmingham - if my other online resource is reasonably accurate.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 PM

298 posts, read 750,887 times
I believe that your family will do just fine in Eagan, which is a great suburb, and throught the Minneapolis and St. Paul Metro Area. Minnesota still has the highest rate or one of the highest percentage of Interracial marriages in the U.S. outside of Hawaii and California. Individuals of mixed race are common and welcomed in the Twin Cities. You should attempt to live close to where you work especially the first year as you learn the area and familiarize yourself with how to get around then decide where you would like to buy your home here.

Eagan has a number of residential areas along with a large corporate presence with company headquarters/multi-state regional offices etc. and is served by three school districts: the Rosemount Apple Valley Eagan School District #196; the West St. Paul Mendota Heights Eagan School District #197 ; and the Burnsville Savage Eagan School Distict #191.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Eagan is mainly white, but has been diversifying in recent decades. What is also nice about Eagan is close access to both downtowns, and Eagan is very near the latino areas of the suburb called West St. Paul along South Robert Street continuing into the city of St. Paul and the Casa Del Soul district near Robert Street and Cesar Chavez Boulevard south of the downtown St. Paul riverfront in what is known as the West Side. This has been Saint Paul's historically vibrant latino/ hispanic community since the 1930's and still going very strong in fact expanding southward into the Dakota County suburbs of: West Saint Paul , South St. Paul and Inver Grove Heights.

Directly across the Minnesota River from Eagan, on the Hennepin County side, is the eastern half of Bloomington and the suburb of Richfield stretching from the MSP International Airport on its eastern border to Southdale Shopping Mall, The Galleria Shops, and Centennial Lakes Park at its western border with Edina. Richfield and Bloomington both have growing latino populations, so I really do not feel your husband, children or yourself will have any difficulties making friends or "fitting -in". Best of luck with your relocation north!

Last edited by mn55110; 06-27-2012 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Factual Ommission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul