Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Depends on what amount of "campus life" you want. The U runs shuttle buses all over the metro area. So you only have to live as close as your tolerance for rental costs permits. I actually went while living in Stillwater. We had a whole car pool arrangement out there. But I didn't party in Dinkytown or anything like that. I was an older student. Oh, and nothing will "force you to interact". You'll have to push yourself to interact. Most neighborhoods are integrated, but no one will approach you if you look standoffish. This is Minnesota, and most of us respect personal space. But if you follow your interests, that's going to put you with people like yourself.
I'm saying that if you're a doctor or even a resident, you WILL be FORCED to interact with all of your patients and co-workers, who are often of many different nationalities. I hope you don't disagree with this and you just misunderstood what I was trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,425,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm saying that if you're a doctor or even a resident, you WILL be FORCED to interact with all of your patients and co-workers, who are often of many different nationalities. I hope you don't disagree with this and you just misunderstood what I was trying to say.
He never said he's a doctor. He is moving to MN to establish residency (as in, where you live) for purposes of getting in-state college tuition down the road, not to attend a medical residency (as in, training after med school).

He said he is looking into something in the veterinary sciences, where, I agree, he will likely still need to work with people of different nationalities.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
He never said he's a doctor. He is moving to MN to establish residency (as in, where you live) for purposes of getting in-state college tuition down the road, not to attend a medical residency (as in, training after med school).

He said he is looking into something in the veterinary sciences, where, I agree, he will likely still need to work with people of different nationalities.
I totally read that as if he's a new medical resident at a local hospital (the U of M hospital) -- woops!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 18,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I totally read that as if he's a new medical resident at a local hospital (the U of M hospital) -- woops!
Quote:

Woah I am so sorry for all the confusion. I should have written in the beginning because I am a female and I do want to live there even if I weren't going to college. I love that I can experience difference. I am truly tired of feeling stuck with the same boring people. Thanks again everyone. All advice is needed!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Downtown Stillwater, especially on the weekends is very busy--so much so that the "locals" rarely venture downtown . It's a charming, Victorian town along the river that is pretty family oriented. It would be pretty quiet day to day but with plenty to keep you busy on the weekends.
Really? I love that idea of historic Victorian. When you say it's busy on the weekends is there any nature activities to do there or more like shopping areas in walkable distance? I'll certainly research on the area. Thank you. In the meantime anything on the Como area? (I may have to write another post for others to see)

Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,133 times
Plenty of stuff - Como Park is great to visit and they have the zoo and much more.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb33 View Post
Really? I love that idea of historic Victorian. When you say it's busy on the weekends is there any nature activities to do there or more like shopping areas in walkable distance? I'll certainly research on the area. Thank you. In the meantime anything on the Como area? (I may have to write another post for others to see)
Stillwater IS beautiful, but quite far from the rest of the metro and racially and socioeconomically homogenous.....not ideal for what your "wants" are, I don't think.

Como, on the other hand, is a bit closer to your needs and another BEAUTIFUL (emphasis intended!) area! I don't know a ton about its demographics, but perhaps others more familiar with St. Paul and the Como neighborhood could fill you in on that. Como is an excellent choice to consider though, and is rarely brought up in these forums to transplants primarily because it's more of an established family-friendly neighborhood than a fun place to meet new people and locals.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Plenty of stuff - Como Park is great to visit and they have the zoo and much more.
FREE zoo! Again, the Como Lake/Park area is so unbelievably beautiful to me that I was in (literal) awe when my wife and I went to the area last year. It's such a rarity in an urban setting!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,425,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb33 View Post
Como Park is great...free zoo (not the nicest ever, but they are improving it little by little, and hey, its free!) there are always people out walking, biking, and pushing their strollers around the lake. As for the area around it, west of Como Park (between the park and the fairgrounds) is a beautiful little neighborhood, although it is pricey for the size of houses. East of Como Park is not so good, crime-wise. Take a look at the crime maps of St. Paul and it becomes fairly obvious which areas to avoid.

And I'm in a minority on this forum for this part, but I'm never as convinced by all the suggestions to look at Stillwater. It is a beautiful town, with some fun stuff, but its also far enough away that I don't think it feels like part of the metro. You'd be looking at a 30 minute drive (in good traffic) to get to the UMN St. Paul campus. You'll find yourself spending lots of time on the road if you want to take advantage of lots of the amenities of the metro (museums, theatres, parks, etc).

For the people who want to live in a small town close to the metro, I think its a great option. But if you are looking to experience Minneapolis St. Paul, I'd recommend coming closer in.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 AM

Great! Well thanks everyone. I love both areas just from your thoughts. I've researched both places and seeing that I want to move there 2 years in advance perhaps Stillwater would be nice to start off with. Of course I need to make my travel plans. I wouldn't make any decisions without surveying the areas first. I'd really like to see the State fair on the 23rd. If not this year than next definitely. I truly appreciate the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul