Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 AM

6 posts, read 9,279 times

Advertisements

I have another concern. I LOVE my car. I drive a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. I've driven it since I bought it new 10 years ago. My plan was to continue driving it for several more years. It is 2wd. Is that a problem in Minneapolis. I have never driven in the snow. Opinions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9114 View Post
I have another concern. I LOVE my car. I drive a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. I've driven it since I bought it new 10 years ago. My plan was to continue driving it for several more years. It is 2wd. Is that a problem in Minneapolis. I have never driven in the snow. Opinions??
2WD in the Twin Cities is usually fine (front wheel drive is much better than read wheel drive, tho).

You will usually be dealing with packed snow and/or wet pavement due to melting agent in the metro most of the winter, anyway, not fresh snow or ice, and in the latter case 4WD or AWD will probably not help all that much.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:57 AM

270 posts, read 260,415 times
Rosemount also has the giant Pine Bend oil refinery complex (Minnesota's largest) over a square mile in area at Hwy 52 & 55. It always provides a nice light show at night and with the right wind, many wonderful smells.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil Fools View Post
Rosemount also has the giant Pine Bend oil refinery complex (Minnesota's largest) over a square mile in area at Hwy 52 & 55. It always provides a nice light show at night and with the right wind, many wonderful smells.
Can't say it's ever been an issue in town since we've lived her, 7 years and no "smells"...

Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Can't say it's ever been an issue in town since we've lived her, 7 years and no "smells"...
Perhaps you are just used to it. We usually notice it when we visit my sister who lives just east of downtown Rosemount.

Air pollution violators in Minnesota: the story behind the data | Minnesota Public Radio News

Last edited by Fossil Fools; 12-23-2012 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 12-23-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you are just used to it. We usually notice it when we visit my sister who lives just east of downtown Rosemount.

Air pollution violators in Minnesota: the story behind the data | Minnesota Public Radio News
Nope, just not an issue. Not used to it, never noticed it when we first moved here, don't notice it now because it's just not an issue in town. Sure, along 52 you can smell it but that is worse for people living in Hastings not Rosemount. Just trying to stir up trouble again, aren't you .

Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
If your Tahoe is RWD -it could be a huge issue. We have a F150 that is RWD and it is useless at the most minimal amount of ice or slush. We avoid it until the roads clear up a bit and pile into the sedan.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Nope, just not an issue. Not used to it, never noticed it when we first moved here, don't notice it now because it's just not an issue in town. Sure, along 52 you can smell it but that is worse for people living in Hastings not Rosemount. Just trying to stir up trouble again, aren't you .
Not at all. Just trying to point out to someone who may move here and probably would not know that the oil refinery is there and that this may need to be considered if they are going to plop down 20K for a down payment on a home. There are other things that should be considered too such as well water pollution from the plant which has been an issue before.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Not at all. Just trying to point out to someone who may move here and probably would not know that the oil refinery is there and that this may need to be considered if they are going to plop down 20K for a down payment on a home. There are other things that should be considered too such as well water pollution from the plant which has been an issue before.
There is pollution everywhere--3M has been polluting St. Paul for years, the Ford Plant area is FULL of ground water contamination and other crap leaching into the soil. Minneapolis with the run off from the roads has issues as well as "drinking" water from the Mississippi, etc. Have you ever smelled the water in St. Paul or Minneapolis?

Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
There is pollution everywhere--3M has been polluting St. Paul for years, the Ford Plant area is FULL of ground water contamination and other crap leaching into the soil. Minneapolis with the run off from the roads has issues as well as "drinking" water from the Mississippi, etc. Have you ever smelled the water in St. Paul or Minneapolis?
Not disputing the fact that there is pollution nearly everywhere. My point is that this huge petro/chemical complex poses larger pollution problems. Yes, 3M's pollution is also quite bad, but petro/chemicals are volatile in nature and can also explode.

There were 28 fires at oil refineries in 2012 out of 140 facilities. Not real good odds IMHO.

http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article...ss-3815770.php

Last edited by Fossil Fools; 12-23-2012 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: adde
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul