Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblair0023 View Post
I'm going to be trying sooo hard to find a job closer, you have NO idea!! LOL
What field are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 AM

106 posts, read 223,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
What field are you in?

Right now I work as an accounting clerk. I could do office/clerical/accounting technician/etc. One thing I am hoping NOT to do is to start out at entry level clerical pay, as I have several years experience. I have a degree in Organizational Behavior and am working on a degree in Accounting. So are jobs like this (not entry level pay) difficult to find in this area? How about temp agencies to get me started?

I've been looking for jobs on indeed and Craigslist. Not just in Hastings, but also in St Paul and everywhere in between. What other sites should I be looking on?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
I'm not in your field, but I just finished a long job-hunt and Indeed was my most reliable tool. I also occasionally came across something on the MinnesotaWorks.net site that didn't show up on Indeed. I also kept a long spreadsheet of the companies I knew of in my field and made sure to check their HR websites once every couple weeks, but that's a lot more daunting task I imagine, since accounting/clerical work happens at virtually every company and that would be a long spreadsheet.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I'm not in your field, but I just finished a long job-hunt and Indeed was my most reliable tool. I also occasionally came across something on the MinnesotaWorks.net site that didn't show up on Indeed. I also kept a long spreadsheet of the companies I knew of in my field and made sure to check their HR websites once every couple weeks, but that's a lot more daunting task I imagine, since accounting/clerical work happens at virtually every company and that would be a long spreadsheet.
Thanks for the tips. I dig tracking things in spreadsheets, so I could see myself doing that!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Office Team/Robert Half has most of the accounting type temp work positions in the area, just not a lot in Hastings probably. I would get your name in at Thomson/Rueters (Law Book publishing company---easy commute from Hastings). I would also look at openings at St. Olaf and Carleton Colleges in Northfield--south of Hastings but again, an easy commute. The tuition exchange programs would be worth taking an entry level job!! Grief in Rosemount is a possibility. I would also get your name in with Dakota County since a lot of their jobs are in Hastings as well as Apple Valley and West St. Paul.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Office Team/Robert Half has most of the accounting type temp work positions in the area, just not a lot in Hastings probably. I would get your name in at Thomson/Rueters (Law Book publishing company---easy commute from Hastings). I would also look at openings at St. Olaf and Carleton Colleges in Northfield--south of Hastings but again, an easy commute. The tuition exchange programs would be worth taking an entry level job!! Grief in Rosemount is a possibility. I would also get your name in with Dakota County since a lot of their jobs are in Hastings as well as Apple Valley and West St. Paul.
Thank you for these great tips! I will definitely look into them. I am on Dakota County's list for one job but I didn't score as high as I expected to (I am a county worker already and was really bummed about my score there... and about how many applicants they had!! I thought that was my best chance to actually get a job in Hastings.) I will keep looking for Dakota county jobs to apply for, as well as checking out the other places you've mentioned!

Old 05-26-2013, 07:04 PM

I see a county clerical job in Washington county that I will probably apply for. It's a step backward from where I am at now but I have to start somewhere! So Google maps is saying this is a 33 minute drive. Is anyone familiar with this route? Would it be an easy commute?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:50 PM

Made that drive MANY times. Easy--not bad. You won't have any real traffic but in the winter, it's a hilly route with a lot of blind driveways and side roads and it will take the full 35 minutes to get there. It's a fun drive because of the hills and it's pretty. If the weather is bad you could stay on 61 and go over to 494 to 36 and then into Stillwater (Oak Park Heights is just "part" of Stillwater really. If you get that job, Stillwater would be another place to consider living though. It's very much like Hastings, a little bigger and a little nicer, schools are a bit better, but much bigger.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 PM

Good to know! I have heard Stillwater is a great place to live. I'll definitely check it out, but I'm not sure I could convince DH to be that far away from his job now that he has his heart set on being close. :-)

Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 AM

UPDATE!!!

My husband did get the job, very exciting times for us!! We have actually found a way for my son and I to stay here for the next two years, so he can finish high school here and I can finish my Accounting degree here as well. Between those two pieces and the fact that I would have had to take a big pay cut down there, it was a no-brainer for us, once we figured out how to pay for it all. But we did, and now everyone is happy!

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread (and my other one regarding the town of Hastings). You all have been very helpful for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul