Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 01:15 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Well he was running against Emmer who, frankly, is a buffoon. It seems he might be our new Rep in the 6th though...
Maybe that's the 6th District calling card: having a whacko serve the District?

Old 06-19-2013, 01:22 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Well he was running against Emmer who, frankly, is a buffoon. It seems he might be our new Rep in the 6th though...
A baffoon?? Emmer is a genius compared to govenor goofy. That is just fact. It's funny you used that term. I think if there was one governor out of the 50 that would be catagorized as a baffoon, it would hands down be Dayton. Dayton would have been dead last in the primaries if his name hadn't been Dayton.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
First he was running against Kelliher who's no "baffoon".

Old 06-19-2013, 01:28 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It's like you're arguing with yourself! Who said anything about a mass exodus, or even anything noticeable? All I said is that chronic pain sufferers sometimes prefer weed to pills, and the only reason I know that is because I met some who told me......in Minnesota. So I obviously realize that criminalizing marijuana had no impact on their decision to live here. It'd just be ONE excuse to live in a place where it was legal (for those Johnny Do-Good'ers and all).
I really don't know how I was arguing with myself. I was replying to your comment and then building off of it. No need to get riled up. Obviously some people with chronic pain prefer marijuana over pills. And like I said in the comment, I think they'll have a solution within the next five years (and who said anything about "criminalizing"?). It's bound to come up with so many people supporting legalization at this point. But I was also adding that I don't think many would leave (you mentioned chronic pain sufferers...they make up as many as 1 in 3 Americans according to some studies...so if chronic pain sufferers left Minnesota then yes, it would be an "exodus", even if what I'm doing is using the language trick of hyperbole) purely for marijuana since they can get it easily. I know several people with chronic pain who use it...the lack of prescription isn't stopping them and they'd likely have to have other reasons to also move. That's all I was saying.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 PM

You just took what I said way too literally and expanded on it well beyond its intended reach, which is why I said you were arguing with yourself. It wasn't mean to be a fact or a shocking statement.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 AM

413 posts, read 764,102 times
I didn't mean for this to end up with a debate about Dayton. Both he and Emmer were pretty bad candidates IMO, but it's tough to get good people to run for office these days. It is true that Dayton has had substance abuse issues, and despite his liberal positions on most issues, it makes him unlikely to support legalizing weed. (and Emmer has had his own issues for that matter with DWI's).

Being in recovery doesn't mean you're unfit to hold office though. Jim Ramstad was one of the best representatives this state has ever had (I wish he'd run for governor, and he'd win in a landslide, but he's not conservative enough for today's GOP), and Ramstad has been very open about his alcoholism and recovery.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 AM

Yeah, I'd like to HOPE that being a recovering addict doesn't limit my future potential either. If anything, it makes my potential much greater!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
A baffoon?? Emmer is a genius compared to govenor goofy. That is just fact. It's funny you used that term. I think if there was one governor out of the 50 that would be catagorized as a baffoon, it would hands down be Dayton. Dayton would have been dead last in the primaries if his name hadn't been Dayton.
Emmer remained convinced that we had a rash of waiters making $100,000 a year. Not exactly genius material.

I thought of all the candidates in 2010, Horner had some pretty decent ideas, but they didn't fall on party lines, so nobody liked that. I got to meet him through some circumstances (not campaigning or supporting him or anything) and he was really nice and genuine. And he comes across as pragmatic.

But I've found that Dayton did a pretty good job these past few years of promoting the policies he believes in while still getting things done even if they aren't exactly what he wants.

And I find it a bit refreshing that we have a governor who isn't using his state position to jockey for a presidential spot. You might not like Dayton, but at least you know he's there because he wants to do be...not just using it as a stepping stone.

I'll try to at least include more on the actual topic: I still think we'll see legalization of medical marijuana within a few years. The DFL will probably eventually push it and Dayton will sign a limited bill into law. That's assuming Dayton carries the next election. Obviously no guarantees on that.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Alcohol and pills and it shows (you ever look into his eyes, hear him speak publicly or watch his gestures/mannerisms). Suffers from depression. Divorced once or twice. Was a renter when he took office (probably the only mega millionaire renter in the state). Weak track record in Washington. Still wins the election.
Is there something wrong with being a renter?

Old 06-20-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Is there something wrong with being a renter?
Don't you know that home ownership is next to godliness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul