Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:55 PM

573 posts, read 1,050,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
please help me know how to cope with this cold, it seems so coolddd and we are just starting. How do you locals make it this way? thanks for any of your input!
Move! I don't want to hear some out of towner complain about the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 01:47 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,607 times
For me, long johns and multiple shirts/sweaters does the trick. I never warm my car, and dressed this way I can get in it and drive away and I don't feel cold at all.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:03 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
For me, long johns and multiple shirts/sweaters does the trick. I never warm my car, and dressed this way I can get in it and drive away and I don't feel cold at all.
Just don't be the idiot ahead of me who is having trouble because the windshield on the car he hopped in and drove away is now fogging up.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Just don't be the idiot ahead of me who is having trouble because the windshield on the car he hopped in and drove away is now fogging up.
sounds like you're texting while driving, classic!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
sounds like you're texting while driving, classic!
????????????????

Better luck with wild accusations next time .

Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I drove in MN for 10 years or something. I moved out to CO and I will say this. MN is an easy state to drive in when the slippery weather comes.

Here in the springs, holey crap. I was going 30 and we have massive hills/mtns here, it had rained and temps drop like a beast here. MN is stable weather compared to here. We literally had an ice rink but at a 5% grade, I slide about 200-300 FT fishtailing back and fourth around a turn going downhill contemplating if I was going to go into the other side of the road while looking out my rear passenger window. I made it out without a scratch on the car while just steering out of it. but holey damn. MN is flat and easy to drive.

Anyway, salt works down to -9F.

A good way to put up with it is to move. I did.

------" anyway, salt works down to -9 F"

Really ?

Is that why the state of Arkansas is experimenting with a 30% sugar beet juice/70% salt brine

They stated the salt brine freezes at 22F while the mixture of 30% sugar beet juice doesn't freeze until -18. The drawback is that the salt brine costs between 10-15 cents per gallon and adding the sugar
beet juice raises the total price to 40 cents per gallon.

(Arkansas Democrat Gazette...........December 28.................page 3B)

Old 12-28-2013, 02:34 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
please help me know how to cope with this cold, it seems so coolddd and we are just starting. How do you locals make it this way? thanks for any of your input!
It depends on what activities you are into. But mainly, one thing to dress for the cold weather. Dress the right way for the cold weather. Wear layers, and make sure you have warm shoes(a warm pair of boots will help), a thick scarf, and a warm hat(and make sure it covers the ears).

And this is just me. If I were in Minneapolis(I don't live there, but I have relatives there) during winter, I would try and get into some of the winter activities, such as tobogganing, cross-country skiing, and some other things. There are other things to get into, such as going to T-Wolves games and Wild games. Mall of America and Crystal Court Mall have some interesting things. That's just what I would do if I was in the Twin Cities. You might want to do some different things.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Saw on WCCO that windchills in the metro are supposed to be in the -50 range tomorrow--the -75 range up north. That is just amazing. Good day to stay inside and read a good book.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:57 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
It's 55 in Kentucky at the moment.... god, I am so homesick for Minnesota!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Saw on WCCO that windchills in the metro are supposed to be in the -50 range tomorrow--the -75 range up north. That is just amazing. Good day to stay inside and read a good book.
I saw that WCCO graphic I honestly dont know how they got those numbers. I think someone used the old wind chill formula/graphic in use prior to 2001. With today's wind chill formula/map it wasnt even close. Minus -45 our coldest in northwestern MN. It is a shame they put that mis information up to scare folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul