Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 AM

56 posts, read 93,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillnew View Post
So guys, I cannot thank you all enough for your opinions and suggestions. I've read through a backlog of threads dated back to 2003 and most seem to suggest that EP is fraught with both social and housing problems.

Some areas of EP have even been referred to as slums and/or ghettos. (I've never been in a ghetto where the housing cost $500k...though maybe I have but didn't know it Furthermore, it would appear that the recent housing developments encouraged by the EP planning board have not been well-received by the majority population of Eden Prairie (EP). Of greater concern would be the reconstruction/renovation of the small plane airport into a commercial hub. Yet new housing construction has not waned though there are now more older houses on the market.

Could you all elucidate the concerns about housing, education and population growth in EP? And also the traffic/road improvement projects? Its my understanding that the endeavor to bring the metro rail to EP has stalled. Elaboration of the social issues particularly in regards to the Somali immigrant population would be appreciated.

And please...I will not cast judgement on anyones opinion and hope others don't either. We are all clearly aware of how demographics and economic development/growth can impact upon real estate values and education. As we plan to move into a house/area that we live in for at least the next 10 years I'd really like to hear all the pros and cons particularly with regards to population growth and demographics.
I have lived in EP for 6 years. It is a nice community with good schools. There is a large Somalian population, but I do not find that to be a problem. A few years ago a bunch of my friends moved out of EP because of the whole school boundary mess. EP added an elementary school and changed the schools from k-4 to k-6. Of course kids needed to be moved around. What bothered people the most was that one neighborhood is not being sent past 2 schools to a school that is pretty far away. That neighborhood has huge, expensive homes and everyone was mad about racial balancing and so on. Things have settled down and we do not here about it much any more.

Where are you coming from? This is a good area and I would stay here if it weren't for the winters. My husband has been wanting to switch jobs so he is looking at some warmer places. I am iffy about moving my kids because it really is a good area except for the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 AM

104 posts, read 152,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah42 View Post
I have lived in EP for 6 years. It is a nice community with good schools. There is a large Somalian population, but I do not find that to be a problem. A few years ago a bunch of my friends moved out of EP because of the whole school boundary mess. EP added an elementary school and changed the schools from k-4 to k-6. Of course kids needed to be moved around. What bothered people the most was that one neighborhood is not being sent past 2 schools to a school that is pretty far away. That neighborhood has huge, expensive homes and everyone was mad about racial balancing and so on. Things have settled down and we do not here about it much any more.

Where are you coming from? This is a good area and I would stay here if it weren't for the winters. My husband has been wanting to switch jobs so he is looking at some warmer places. I am iffy about moving my kids because it really is a good area except for the weather.
Thank you Sarah....perhaps it's a good thing those who are opposed to diversity moved (thiugh to be fair I'd be a bit upset too if I had to bus my kids to a school further away than have them walk to the school .6 miles away from my house). My search of EP area homes yielded a few homes with such odd school assignments which had me perplexed. Thanks or the clarification. Btw, as I'm a firm believer in stability and consistency for kids I would not move my kids if I had a choice...though in all honesty Minnesota's schools are much better than most places and may be better for my kids in the long run...but kids who grow up with stability and consistency can easily overcome and weather disappointments better than kids who did not have a constant environment.

Uptown, I agree that suburban sprawl is not attractive but hopefully with EP's plans to create a more densely populated suburbia that caters to families with kids along with their promotion of more "affordable housing" (<$1M) then perhaps EP's metamorphosis into a suburban family haven might happen sooner. And their schools now are highly attractive as they appear more racially balanced and perform generally better than most outer-ring suburbs.

The "push-back" against Somalis, and the Hmong previously, is discouraging but not a deal-breaker. Apparently, it may be just another oxymoronic anti-immigrant stance that unfortunately many idiots across our nation promote while they celebrate St. Patrick's day or other such "heritage holidays"...fortunately the young of today are generally less racially or ethnically oriented so in a few years that issue may be less of an issue...

Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
GG, I just want to be prepared which is why I seek the info and opinions... especially as others have indicated that its very difficult to make friends in the metro-minneapolis area....maybe you could write a post on how to make friends and what not to do or say in the metro-minneapolis area? I'd appreciate your tips.
I appreciate your interest in the city and patience with some of the other posters, but there is no secret formula for how to make friends in Minneapolis.....at least none that's any different than anywhere else.

The primary difference between the Twin Cities and other cities is the larger Scandanavian ancestry and culture, which has been noted as being more reserved, but not necessarily unfriendly. I've spoken on this subject-matter several times and my spin on it is the same: unfriendliness (perceived or real) stems from isolation and segregation, and the way to best surround yourself with people who might be more willing to open up to you is to place yourself in areas that are integrated (culturally, racially, socioeconomically, spiritually, etc.).

The Twin Cities -- despite their "white" reputation -- are fairly integrated in most (core) areas. There are some suburbs where integration remains an issue, and I'd argue that Eden Prairie may be one of them, whether by design/intent or by accident, and they are just now dealing with the growing pains of branching outside people's comfort zones. There are other suburbs and areas within the metro where integration still hasn't truly occurred, including some predominately black/African American neighborhoods and other non-WASP areas. Integration is very much a two-way street.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Thank you Sarah....perhaps it's a good thing those who are opposed to diversity moved (thiugh to be fair I'd be a bit upset too if I had to bus my kids to a school further away than have them walk to the school .6 miles away from my house). My search of EP area homes yielded a few homes with such odd school assignments which had me perplexed. Thanks or the clarification. Btw, as I'm a firm believer in stability and consistency for kids I would not move my kids if I had a choice...though in all honesty Minnesota's schools are much better than most places and may be better for my kids in the long run...but kids who grow up with stability and consistency can easily overcome and weather disappointments better than kids who did not have a constant environment.

Uptown, I agree that suburban sprawl is not attractive but hopefully with EP's plans to create a more densely populated suburbia that caters to families with kids along with their promotion of more "affordable housing" (<$1M) then perhaps EP's metamorphosis into a suburban family haven might happen sooner. And their schools now are highly attractive as they appear more racially balanced and perform generally better than most outer-ring suburbs.

The "push-back" against Somalis, and the Hmong previously, is discouraging but not a deal-breaker. Apparently, it may be just another oxymoronic anti-immigrant stance that unfortunately many idiots across our nation promote while they celebrate St. Patrick's day or other such "heritage holidays"...fortunately the young of today are generally less racially or ethnically oriented so in a few years that issue may be less of an issue...
When you have 1200 kids in a class your stats are going to look impressive--I don't know that EP is better than any other suburban school. Schools like Mahtomedi score much higher than EP and when you are talking a class of 250 kids, that is far more impressive to have that concentrated talent. Same with sports--it's pretty easy to find 15 kids out of 4000 to field a basketball team vs doing the same with a school of 800 kids....

Old 04-07-2014, 09:27 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's not difficult to make friends for most people and if you read the tone of the posts of those that say otherwise, you will understand why they are having problems. There are no hard and fast rules of how to act other than MN's are fairly reserved and don't like in your face type people. If you are friendly and make an effort you are going to be just fine. Volunteer in the kids' schools/activities, join some clubs and you will meet plenty of people and make friends. If you complain about everything or constantly talk about how much better things were "back home", you won't.
OP just take this with a boulder of salt. There are many, many on this board that vehemently disagree. Everyone's experience is different - it will be interesting to see your conclusions once you have been here for a few years.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
OP just take this with a boulder of salt. There are many, many on this board that vehemently disagree. Everyone's experience is different - it will be interesting to see your conclusions once you have been here for a few years.
Go to any other city board on this website--even ones where people that "can't make friends" here say they had great success making friends and you will see the exact same complaints there . Sorry, but it is just not that hard to make friends if you are a friendly, personable person, but if all you do is whine and complain about the weather, the sports teams, how bad things are here--which is generally what people that post about it being hard to make friends do....well, no, it's not easy then....

Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM

104 posts, read 152,961 times
Quote:
Go to any other city board on this website--even ones where people that "can't make friends" here say they had great success making friends and you will see the exact same complaints there . Sorry, but it is just not that hard to make friends if you are a friendly, personable person, but if all you do is whine and complain about the weather, the sports teams, how bad things are here--which is generally what people that post about it being hard to make friends do....well, no, it's not easy then....
Perhaps much of one's experience with regards to friendship is greatly determined by how one defines friendship. Sadly, friendships today are still tainted by racial/ethnic overtones particularly for those of us in the above 35+ age group. Ethnic, racial and heritage identifiers appears to be less relevant with today's youth who also have less issues with a person's sexual orientation. But unfortunately, as we all know, a person/parent's social experience directly impacts the quality of care offered to offspring and partners.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Perhaps much of one's experience with regards to friendship is greatly determined by how one defines friendship. Sadly, friendships today are still tainted by racial/ethnic overtones particularly for those of us in the above 35+ age group. Ethnic, racial and heritage identifiers appears to be less relevant with today's youth who also have less issues with a person's sexual orientation. But unfortunately, as we all know, a person/parent's social experience directly impacts the quality of care offered to offspring and partners.
And I think you will find that in the areas you are considering, the color of your skin just don't matter and that is the point we are trying to make. I'm well over 35 and no one I know judges people based on the color of their skin. I'm sure you have run into this in other parts of the country but it's just a non-issue in most of the metro and the areas where it is, you won't be living anyway....I think just about everyone here will agree with that.....of course unless YOU make it an issue that is.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 PM

191 posts, read 380,452 times
Eden Prairie is a nice town and has a quaint, rural feel in a lot of it, but there's concern that it will become overdeveloped... so hard to say.

Personally I think a lot of Mpls and St Paul, hopkins st louis park and bloomington scould be redeveloped first, and places like EP should still exist where you can get large 1+ acre rural lots because people who want to live like that need somewhere to live. We don't need uber density everywhere.

Though a LRT-based downtown EP would be nice too.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 PM

413 posts, read 763,710 times
Quote:
And I think you will find that in the areas you are considering, the color of your skin just don't matter and that is the point we are trying to make. I'm well over 35 and no one I know judges people based on the color of their skin. I'm sure you have run into this in other parts of the country but it's just a non-issue in most of the metro and the areas where it is, you won't be living anyway....I think just about everyone here will agree with that.....of course unless YOU make it an issue that is.
The "issues" people seem to have aren't directed at skin color, but rather towards immigrants, specifically Somali immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul