Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 10:08 PM

416 posts, read 560,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Almost. I am just against drugs for moral reasons and especially don't think people should smoke marijuana. Those who receive any form of money from the government should be subject to mandatory random drug testing, whether that income or support is food stamps, medicare, medicaid, student loans, disability checks, social security, veterans benefits, or pensions. Anyone receiving a taxpayer funded paycheck, such as cops, teachers, fire fighters, soldiers, senators, mayors, governors and presidents should also have to be drug tested on a regular basis. I also support random drug testing checkpoints on public roadways, in public schools, government buildings, national monuments, public transportation, federal forest land, and in state and national parks.
Well see that's why marijuana needs to be legalized, so that it's no longer a 'drug'.

Moral reasons. REALLY?

If you ever so much as take a sip of alcohol, you are a hypocrite. There is no way anyone can logically take a stance against marijuana and be okay with alcohol being legal. No way. Any story someone tells themselves to justify that is pure bull.

I suggest you study up on the history of the Temperance movement to get a REAL understanding of the lasting damage of intoxication.

You got no problem nixing weed for 'moral reasons' but I bet you're a-okay with law enforcement being allowed to take steroids and discriminate employment based on high IQ. That's right, high IQ.

Amazing the stories people tell themselves to justify their own little belief system. Luckily the science has been making strides both in horticulture and medicine to finally get the haters to shut the hell up.

I don't know what kind of morals makes it okay to accept legalization of an intoxicant that puts countless thousands in the morgue or abused or raped every year.

And don't get me started on prescription pills. Jesus.

Moral reasons. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 10:20 PM

416 posts, read 560,371 times
It really is astounding the choices people make with their arbitrary justifications. In all factual respects marijuana is the LEAST harmful narcotic yet garners the most overblown attention. Even from people who love it. The American perspective is so warped when it comes to marijuana.

I could actually make the same 'moral' arguments against taking a bath if this were the Middle Ages.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Almost. I am just against drugs for moral reasons and especially don't think people should smoke marijuana. Those who receive any form of money from the government should be subject to mandatory random drug testing, whether that income or support is food stamps, medicare, medicaid, student loans, disability checks, social security, veterans benefits, or pensions. Anyone receiving a taxpayer funded paycheck, such as cops, teachers, fire fighters, soldiers, senators, mayors, governors and presidents should also have to be drug tested on a regular basis. I also support random drug testing checkpoints on public roadways, in public schools, government buildings, national monuments, public transportation, federal forest land, and in state and national parks.
you HAVE to be trolling, right? I mean really, this is a joke, right?

Old 01-10-2015, 12:07 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
you HAVE to be trolling, right? I mean really, this is a joke, right?
I would call it satire. I'm cool with the gas. Although once it made me make out with someone who looked like Janene Garofalo.

Booze and pills are cool too, though. As are steroids, if used responsibly.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:06 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Well see that's why marijuana needs to be legalized, so that it's no longer a 'drug'.

Moral reasons. REALLY?

If you ever so much as take a sip of alcohol, you are a hypocrite. There is no way anyone can logically take a stance against marijuana and be okay with alcohol being legal. No way. Any story someone tells themselves to justify that is pure bull.

I suggest you study up on the history of the Temperance movement to get a REAL understanding of the lasting damage of intoxication.

You got no problem nixing weed for 'moral reasons' but I bet you're a-okay with law enforcement being allowed to take steroids and discriminate employment based on high IQ. That's right, high IQ.

Amazing the stories people tell themselves to justify their own little belief system. Luckily the science has been making strides both in horticulture and medicine to finally get the haters to shut the hell up.

I don't know what kind of morals makes it okay to accept legalization of an intoxicant that puts countless thousands in the morgue or abused or raped every year.

And don't get me started on prescription pills. Jesus.

Moral reasons. Wow.
Even if it's legalized plenty of people will still have to have testing because their employer requires it for safety reasons. They will still not be allowed to get high. No reason why the people listed in rzzzz's post shouldn't do the same.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:14 AM

30 posts, read 26,213 times
I'm continued to be blown away by these logical fallacies. You cite that law is a reflection of democracy in one instance yet I could give you examples where the "majority" do not get what they want because laws aren't always put to a vote by the general population.

You could infer that these officials have the power to decide based on their election into office yet we both know that politics beyond office elections don't work based on the wishes of the majority. If that was the case, the majority of the American poor and middle class could vote their way out of their social status.

You cite harm to health yet others cite the opposite and I make the claim that people are individuals and should be able to make their own decisions and reap the consequences of them, both good and bad.

You claim that their actions affect more than just them, but you refer to vague examples where the family is being hurt by their actions on the assumption that their drug use has become a problem.

This is a Minnesota forum and I was born here just like anyone else. I don't think I should have to move because I feel differently about what I can have in my life. That is, to a degree, fascism. I know I didn't sacrifice years of my life in the military for this. Quite honestly, I think that those that sacrificed their freedom for years should indeed have more freedom than others especially in regards to their own health. If you want to get philosophical, can you generate for me a source that binds every human being to the laws of their birthplace?

My parting advice is to watch your own bobber and not concern yourself with the lives of others. If you don't want others to impose their opinions on your life then respectfully give them the same adherence. It is not your job or mine to enforce or interpret these laws, maybe instead of leading a crusade against pot users you can channel that energy into a positive output.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLife View Post
I'm continued to be blown away by these logical fallacies. You cite that law is a reflection of democracy in one instance yet I could give you examples where the "majority" do not get what they want because laws aren't always put to a vote by the general population.

You could infer that these officials have the power to decide based on their election into office yet we both know that politics beyond office elections don't work based on the wishes of the majority. If that was the case, the majority of the American poor and middle class could vote their way out of their social status.

You cite harm to health yet others cite the opposite and I make the claim that people are individuals and should be able to make their own decisions and reap the consequences of them, both good and bad.

You claim that their actions affect more than just them, but you refer to vague examples where the family is being hurt by their actions on the assumption that their drug use has become a problem.

This is a Minnesota forum and I was born here just like anyone else. I don't think I should have to move because I feel differently about what I can have in my life. That is, to a degree, fascism. I know I didn't sacrifice years of my life in the military for this. Quite honestly, I think that those that sacrificed their freedom for years should indeed have more freedom than others especially in regards to their own health. If you want to get philosophical, can you generate for me a source that binds every human being to the laws of their birthplace?

My parting advice is to watch your own bobber and not concern yourself with the lives of others. If you don't want others to impose their opinions on your life then respectfully give them the same adherence. It is not your job or mine to enforce or interpret these laws, maybe instead of leading a crusade against pot users you can channel that energy into a positive output.
I'm sorry you don't feel that we can have rules that everyone in society is expected to follow, or that we can debate what those rules should be. I appreciate your service but it doesn't make you entitled to more rights than others. Frankly,I don't think you fully grasp the society you defended.

Last edited by Glenfield; 01-10-2015 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 08:09 AM

30 posts, read 26,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I'm sorry you don't feel that we can have rules that everyone in society is expected to follow, or that we can debate what those rules should be. I appreciate your service but it doesn't make you entitled to more rights than others. Frankly,I don't think you fully grasp the society you defended.
Frankly I think you're just projecting. I'm certain that there are laws that you choose not to follow and downplay them just like anyone else. Marijuana hasn't had this detrimental effect you describe on my life but it must have on yours. That's unfortunate but it doesn't make what you think have any bearing on my life. Keep in mind that laws change and once upon a time it was illegal for blacks to sit in the front of the bus or use white facilities. Feel free to keep your mindset the way it is, I didn't come here to berate you but rather to open your mind. It appears obvious that you don't appreciate my efforts so I will take them elsewhere. You will learn in time that life isn't so black and white as you make it out to be.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:32 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,056 times
Quote:
Frankly I think you're just projecting. I'm certain that there are laws that you choose not to follow and downplay them just like anyone else. Marijuana hasn't had this detrimental effect you describe on my life but it must have on yours. That's unfortunate but it doesn't make what you think have any bearing on my life. Keep in mind that laws change and once upon a time it was illegal for blacks to sit in the front of the bus or use white facilities. Feel free to keep your mindset the way it is, I didn't come here to berate you but rather to open your mind. It appears obvious that you don't appreciate my efforts so I will take them elsewhere. You will learn in time that life isn't so black and white as you make it out to be.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
That's an insult to the civil rights movement. Those people were fighting for their God-given Constitutional rights to equality. As I've tried to explain to you, there is no Constitutional right to get high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul