Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:31 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,936,931 times

Advertisements

Im against texting and driving. But texting at a red light seems fine. And using an electronic device for directions is fine in my book

I think laws to be able to pull over obvious testers is good, but education is even better. I stopped because of education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 02:10 PM

5,830 posts, read 7,760,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Careful here, you might be treading on the people who want "Freedom" from Government and not a Dictatorship
Where have you actually seen anyone make an argument that they have a right to text while driving?

Old 11-16-2014, 05:12 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,540,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Where have you actually seen anyone make an argument that they have a right to text while driving?
I haven't on this topic.
But on many where its all about freedom.
I agree with the topic.
Its dangerous to text and drive.
And should be enforced.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:12 PM

171 posts, read 196,492 times
First they make me wear a seat belt, now this? Typical nanny state.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,203,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
and, what's with this whole right/wrong side of the road business anyway?!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 PM

42 posts, read 44,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post

How are more laws on this subject going to make it stop if the laws they have made haven't? It will be just as hard to enforce the law as it is now (they actually have to catch you in the act) and calling 911 on someone isn't going to do anything but waste the police's time. Besides, according to the supreme court, the 4th amendment applies to your cell phone as well. Now don't get me wrong, I agree that texting and driving is an issue and presents a lot of danger. I don't believe however that making this is a law really helps. Actually I know someone from my work and his wife was genuinely using the phone for the navigation and she got a ticket for "texting."

http://www.kaaltv.com/article/stories/s3612420.shtml

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/inv...ving/18939307/

Old 11-18-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Folks....focus...there are currently laws banning the use of the electronic device. I'm urging law makers to put some real teeth into the law that exists. It's killing people. 15% of fatals involved texting.
Please cite the source of this statistic. Is this MN alone or nationwide?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:19 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,814,178 times
Isn't using your phone for navigation just as dangerous as texting? You're still holding and looking at your phone instead of paying attention to the road.

Driving isn't a protected Constitutional right, and restrictions on texting or using cell phones isn't taking away the right to use a phone in other contexts. I don't care how people choose to use their phone when they're not behind the wheel of a driving car, but driving isn't a free-for-all without regulations.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:41 AM

I'm talking about constitutional rights in terms of enforcement, the right for the police to search someone's phone. If we are going to pursue this route then you should note that just because you are performing a task not protected by the constitution does not mean your constitutional rights are negated. Ie driving a car isn't protected but the police searching your car without probable cause is. This law is difficult to enforce and if you are supporting a more strict version of it then by the same logic you should be championing laws against all distracted forms of driving (eating, drinking coffee, doing your makeup etc.). I agree that gps usage is distracting to, but I (and many others) use it to get around. I actually bought one of those window/dash mount holders for my phone so when I'm using it it don't need to look down.

I agree with others that education is the strongest case to make against texting while driving. If you teach people (especially the next driving generation who have grown up with smartphones) the dangers of texting as well as other distracted forms of driving I believe you will save many more lives. I wear my seatbelt not because the law tells me to but because I know the facts and that it's stupid not to.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:44 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,437,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
and, what's with this whole right/wrong side of the road business anyway?!
next thing you know you won't be able to drive on the sidewalk anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul