Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:58 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times

Advertisements

What's the definition of infinity?

4 Woodbury housewives at a 4-way stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
What's the definition of infinity?

4 Woodbury housewives at a 4-way stop.
Nope, the definition of infinity is waiting to hear laughter from THAT joke

Old 02-23-2015, 02:59 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,940 times
I think it's wise to pretty much always stay to the right unless you are quickly overtaking someone or need a left lane exit. Even if I'm going way over the speed limit, I'll tend to the right unless someone is there (and presumably I'll pass them and then be able to take the right lane shortly). It's not my job to 'block speeders' from passing me- it's actually stupid and just plain jerkish. I take puttering in the left lane as a sign of stupidity or extreme self-centeredness.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:08 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
My uncle used to tell that one (he lived in Woodbury for 10 years).

Old 02-24-2015, 12:14 PM

275 posts, read 332,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
I think it's wise to pretty much always stay to the right unless you are quickly overtaking someone or need a left lane exit. Even if I'm going way over the speed limit, I'll tend to the right unless someone is there (and presumably I'll pass them and then be able to take the right lane shortly). It's not my job to 'block speeders' from passing me- it's actually stupid and just plain jerkish. I take puttering in the left lane as a sign of stupidity or extreme self-centeredness.
Only time I am on the left is when I need to exist left onto 35w on my way to school.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:46 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
I'll add the oft-applied but little-told secret to go at the speed of traffic flow, not necessarily the limit -- whether that speed is faster or slower than the speed limit.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I'm often guessing to tell the truth, my spedometer is broken and they told me it would cost almost $300 to repair it, been relying on my GPS unless Mrs G needs it for something. Recently on a varrying section on Lexington Ave an angry looking man was next to me wildly gesticulating and mouthing something to me. He was a cop in a Dodge Challenger and obviously too rushed for donuts to pull me over but he got his point across.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Obviously you are not from Woodbury.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 PM

321 posts, read 861,477 times
Drive right, pass left.

DRIVE RIGHT, PASS LEFT.

One cannot emphasize that enough. It works in every other country. But for some reason Americans never learned it. It's all too frequent that I end up using the right lane to pass because the slow people prefer to sit in the center lane.

If you're blocking the left lane for an unreasonable amount of time so cars behind cannot pass, I WILL tailgate you. I do it all the time. At night, I flash my headlights. People in other countries do that all the time; everywhere else people just move over and let the fast car pass; America is the only place where people take offense. From watching our highways, it sure seems that blocking traffic is encouraged here.

So speed up and move over if you're blocking the left lane and traffic is behind you. It shouldn't take you five minutes to pass a slower car. Taking that long is inconsiderate. Just speed up a little, problem solved.

PS DRIVE RIGHT PASS LEFT and tell everyone you know to do the same! If we all do this, our roads will operate much more smoothly and accidents would go down.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:25 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
There are left lane hogs here, that is for certain. When I lived up state, there was the phenomena of the old rural person who just sets cruise control at 1mph over the speed limit and takes 25 minutes gradually "passing" on the left, causing weird traffic clusters in the middle of nowhere, where there should be none.

But... i think the Twin Cities are special in that the highway exits and merge lanes are so messed up.

If you stay in the right lane on I35E for example, all of the sudden you're exiting the freeway and being pummeled by semi trucks merging onto the freeway at the exact same point. Pretty much every time I pass the Larpenteur exit, someone is dangerously trying to merge back in, driving over the triangle and desperately trying to not get flattened by an oncoming truck. Then it gets even worse down by "Spaghetti Junction." Same thing in DT Minneapolis... you stay in the right lane on 94 and all of the sudden you're on Hiawatha or exiting on 10th on the other side.

This stuff is all over, like the the 36th street exit on 35W south... a traffic planning WTF if I've ever seen one. It seems like the roads were designed for a time when everyone drove 40 miles an hour. Indeed I35E even has that weird long section where the speed limit is 45mph...

I actually hate driving on the freeways here more than anywhere else I've lived or visited. The surface roads aren't too bad but that "Woodbury Housewife" thing at the 4 way stops is all too real, LOL.

Last edited by tjasse; 02-27-2015 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul