Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:31 PM

10 posts, read 13,620 times

Advertisements

I received notification from my employer in January that I will be relocating to Minneapolis in the early summer. This will likely be my last relocation for some time and have started my search for a new home and school district for my three children. Comparing schools and real estate I have been drawn to the western suburban neighborhoods served by Wayzata, Chan High School and Minetonka High School. This would include the related elementary and middle schools. I have read numerous good things combined with some harsh sentiment towards newcomers. My concerns are:

Are Minnesotans truly cold and unwilling to accept new families in these upper income suburban neighborhoods?

Will the fact that my children are from out of state have any impact on the normal process of socialization for them?

My wife and I are active upper income parents who go to Catholic Church but spend little time seeking out friendships or neighborhood chit chat. We focus on our family and weekend activity plans. Will this be a hindrance to us moving into these what seems on paper "established neighborhoods".

My children will be attending school in 9, 3 and 1 grade. Any input/experiences would be appreciated.

I don't push my values on people. I just want good things for my kids and want them to succeed.

PS. We are moving from South Florida so I is it safe to assume that I will be regularly answering "So why did you move here"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 03:44 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
Minnesotans "accept" anyone but making friends or being social with new people is another story.

Quote:
spend little time seeking out friendships or neighborhood chit chat.
Sounds like you'll fit right in.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 PM

520 posts, read 776,170 times
As a recent transplant I can say with full confidence that Minnesota, including the western suburbs of Minneapolis, is full of people.

A relatively small number of these people are closed off and provincial, just as you would find anywhere. A surprisingly large number of these people are educated, cultured, worldly, physically fit and socially adept.

In other words, don't worry about it. Find a town/neighborhood that meets your needs and is occupied by at least some people that look and act like the people you want for neighbors and you will be just fine.

The metro area has a little something for everyone. Spend a little time looking around and you will find a place that feels like home.

Surprisingly, you may never have anyone ask why you moved here from South Florida. Many if not most of the people that live here realized that it's a pretty well kept secret that the Minneapolis area is a pretty great place to live when you consider all the relevant factors and look at the possible alternatives.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:12 PM

442 posts, read 593,852 times
We moved around when I was younger and came back to the Twin Cities after five years overseas — I was already off to college by that time, but my sister had no trouble integrating with a new school district and my parents have made more friends during their "second tour" in Minnesota than they did from their "first tour." The nice thing about Wayzata and other high-income areas on that side of town is that many families there will have been transferred away and back for work, or aren't from Minnesota originally, and are used to welcoming new neighbors into the area. We have the second-most Fortune 500 companies per capita in Minnesota, after all, so we're fairly accustomed to new workers coming into town.

The "harshness toward newcomers" comment you heard was probably in regards to some of our smaller, more rural communities. Of the communities in the three countries and four states I've called home, the Twin Cities can boast the most honestly nice people I've met, which is why my wife and I chose to return after living elsewhere.

The school districts on that end of town tend to be outstanding, high-quality schools. Depending on what part of the Cities you'll be working out of, there are pockets of additional good school districts on all four corners.

Best of luck.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:23 PM

10 posts, read 13,620 times
Can anybody guess what I might face commute wise from these areas to the eastern edge of the University of Minnesota?

Also if I move to a specific school zone before the year starts are my kids likely to attend the desired school?

Thanks again

Last edited by oppawaits; 02-25-2015 at 04:39 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 04:54 PM

442 posts, read 593,852 times
You'll hit traffic on 394 from Wayzata and Minnetonka and on 62 and 35W from Chanhassen, but you should still be in the 35 minute range on a good day and 45 minutes to a bit over an hour on bad days. We don't necessarily have long, prolonged stretches of traffic like other major cities (I spent 6 years in Chicago, which is my benchmark for what "bad" traffic is), but we do have really slow pockets here and there. Most are predictable, and there are plenty of side-routes once you get used to where you're going.

If you're commuting to that side of Minneapolis, you might find a shorter commute, mixed with a very strong school district, in the Mounds View district (check out North Oaks for housing). North Oaks to the U is 15 miles (about 30 minutes on most days).

You'll want to confirm with each individual school district once you pick an area to live. Yes, they're likely to be in the school you choose, but with magnets/charters/open enrollment from other districts the only people who can really tell you for sure are the districts themselves.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
For traffic purposes, you may find it easier to take an express bus; there are park-and-rides all over the suburbs, and you'll cut out the whole hassle of parking at or near the U (or dealing with traffic). It's something to keep in mind as an option, anyway. There are stops on the far eastern edge, and I know people from your part of town who have chosen to take the express bus to the U and then hop on the train/bus for the last little bit (when not on or directly adjacent to the campus) to avoid traffic.

I agree that, given your job location, you may find it worth your while to look at different locations. Why take on a longer commute than necessary? You'll find suburban districts with very good schools with an easier commute. Mahtomedi is another district that's more convenient to the eastern edge of the U of MN that has a very strong reputation.

Your kids will be fine. Granted, I don't live in the 'burbs, but there are people here from all over the country and the world. They will adjust quickly and find new friends, and no one will blink an eye about where they lived before this. (Although yes, you probably WILL get "why did you move here?" questions, at least during the winter!)

Old 02-25-2015, 09:27 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
A couple years from now there will be a green line LRT from Eden Prairie as well.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppawaits View Post
Can anybody guess what I might face commute wise from these areas to the eastern edge of the University of Minnesota?

Also if I move to a specific school zone before the year starts are my kids likely to attend the desired school?

Thanks again
Eastern edge ... of the larger Minneapolis campus (the East Bank and West Bank are separated by the Mississippi River)? Or the St. Paul campus, which is smaller but still houses the Vet School, the College of Biological Sciences, College of Continuing Education and others.

Driving in to any of them from outer second- and third-ring suburbs in any direction is time consuming in rush hour in the best of weather, for different reasons. Parking is limited on the East Bank, better in St. Paul (and there are free campus connector buses running between all three campuses on a private road - whoever got that in place deserves high praise).

Old 02-25-2015, 11:24 PM

878 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Hi, there-- just moved from South FL this past summer (I grew up in Broward, moved away for college and grad school-- and then moved back to Palm Beach County and lived there for the past 12 years) and moved to the western 'burbs (specifically Chanhassen) and I also have three children (1st, 4th and 6th graders).

My kids absolutely LOVE it here and have felt as though they fit in, almost from day one; no one was more shocked (and relieved) than I was that they adapted so quickly, I was especially concerned about my middle schooler as she was NOT happy that we moved-- but she loves it here-- the schools are amazing academically, a vast improvement in every way vs Florida (no common core, no high stakes testing, no FCAT, less homework yet more challenge) and we've found people very welcoming (the fact that we're very involved in hockey has definitely helped-- but any group activity, from church to a kid in dance/softball/whatever will suffice).

And, yes, I can ABSOLUTELY guarantee that people will ask you why you moved here from South Florida ("um, you know that it gets REALLY cold here, right?" is a common refrain)

Feel free to ask me anything-- I'm happy to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul