Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,344 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been posted here time and time again (sorry!) but can anyone give me some info on the QOL in the Twin Cities area? I'm 27/M and work for a prominent water damage restoration company in the DFW area of Texas. My younger brother has visited the Minneapolis-St. Paul area and he tells me​ it's awesome there. I'm honestly getting sick of the heat, the traffic, the constant influx of illegals, and the difficulty of making friends here.
I have no kids. Just wanting to see what's out there. Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
No problem, happy to help. Every place has it's pros and cons, and the Twin Cities are no different. That being said, we constantly receive high marks for QOL for good reason. I have lived and traveled the entire US, so I have some perspective when I say I love it here. Below is a very general summary of the pros and cons of the Twin Cities:

Pros:
great economy
good relative COL
best park system in US, great for outdoor enthusiasts.
great schools
good foodie/coffee culture
a clean city with very few and isolated "bad areas" when compared to other cities
A well educated city
beautiful lakes
All the amenities of huge cities that you would need, but with an easy and approachability

Cons:
The length and depth of winter (not so much snow, but rather cold and gray)
mosquitos
"MN Nice" (passive aggressive) personality can be disingenuous to some
proximity (or lack thereof) to other cities/landscapes. One must drive 9+ hours to start to see mountains, and 19 hours to get to the ocean

Once again, just my opinion, but a good generalization to help you start. If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to help!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:03 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
As someone else considering a move from DFW to MSP, here would be your biggest con:

Minnesota: 7% state income tax for the main bracket

Texas: NO state income tax

Mic drop

Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
As someone else considering a move from DFW to MSP, here would be your biggest con:

Minnesota: 7% state income tax for the main bracket

Texas: NO state income tax

Mic drop
I need to point out that income tax is just one of several ways in which we are taxed. The better measure is to combine all state-level taxes to come up with the overall tax burden. This includes income tax, sales tax, real estate tax, property tax and local taxes.

According to WalletHub the overall tax burden between MN and TX is almost equal using the US Median household earnings (11.59% vs. 11.12%). So....you'd better pick up your mic...

Old 03-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I need to point out that income tax is just one of several ways in which we are taxed. The better measure is to combine all state-level taxes to come up with the overall tax burden. This includes income tax, sales tax, real estate tax, property tax and local taxes.

According to WalletHub the overall tax burden between MN and TX is almost equal using the US Median household earnings (11.59% vs. 11.12%). So....you'd better pick up your mic...
I was just havin' some fun. You're correct in your assessment, and I wasn't trying to paint a "Texas all the way" portrait by any means. Minnesota is an attractive place to settle for many reasons, which is why we're also considering it. Matter of fact, at this very moment I'm waiting for my phone to ring with a job offer that would have us living there by this time next month. If I get it, we're taking it.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM

101 posts, read 142,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I was just havin' some fun. You're correct in your assessment, and I wasn't trying to paint a "Texas all the way" portrait by any means. Minnesota is an attractive place to settle for many reasons, which is why we're also considering it. Matter of fact, at this very moment I'm waiting for my phone to ring with a job offer that would have us living there by this time next month. If I get it, we're taking it.

When comparing DFW and Twin Cities Real estate. Are the housing styles of newer construction more or less architecturally appealing.?

How are they the same and also how are they different.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton1433 View Post
When comparing DFW and Twin Cities Real estate. Are the housing styles of newer construction more or less architecturally appealing.?

I wouldn't know much about new housing in MSP, but here in DFW it's row after row of mass produced slab homes that come with puny fenced in yards, unless you have a budget that can afford more. In a lot of cases what passes for a single family home here is more akin to townhome living to me. Homes that are only mere feet apart from each other, where you look out your window and see directly into your neighbors, along with endless rooftops stretching to the horizon. The soil in North Texas is awful for building upon, as the composition expands and contracts wildly, leading to foundation issues for anything built over it.....homes, fences, roads, etc. It's very rare to find a home with any type of basement here, because they just aren't sustainable due to the soil and water table (so I've been told). Again, depending upon your budget, a good bit of the newer homes built here are not high quality construction, and are thrown up to sell just as quickly as they're built.......and they do. This is still one of, if not the hottest real estate markets in America. Economy is robust and the warmer weather keeps 'em coming.

What I've noticed most about MSP is that there are TONS of split level homes.......although that doesn't necessarily speak to the newer construction there, but that's mostly what I see when I scour the listings in our price range (200-300K). As in much of the Midwest, a good portion of them come with some form of basement, be it finished, unfinished, walkout, whatever.......and fencing around properties is much less prominent, which is another is one of the things I miss the most about living up there. You're more likely to see natural boundaries between properties than man made ones. There's also a lot of interior wood trim used in the homes up there, but that never bothered me.

That's just my take on some of the differences. I'm no expert on home building by any stretch, so I'm sure others can fill you in on the specifics with much more clarity and detail.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:03 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton1433 View Post

I can't speak to DFW, but I can speak to the twin cities. New construction tends to be cookie cutter (a builder has 5 models of homes), and each has just a kiss of pale color on the outside. What's worse, to keep costs down, decks, fences, finished basements are all extra. This means many of the new neighborhoods can look pretty bare bones. There are a handful of developments that defy this, but they are the exception.

We don't have front porches or shutters in MN, not sure if that's standard in DFW. 3 car garages are the norm, all the 2 car garage is making a huge comeback.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:42 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I can't speak to DFW, but I can speak to the twin cities. New construction tends to be cookie cutter (a builder has 5 models of homes), and each has just a kiss of pale color on the outside. What's worse, to keep costs down, decks, fences, finished basements are all extra. This means many of the new neighborhoods can look pretty bare bones. There are a handful of developments that defy this, but they are the exception.

We don't have front porches or shutters in MN, not sure if that's standard in DFW. 3 car garages are the norm, all the 2 car garage is making a huge comeback.
New home construction in the cities of Minneapolis and St Paul is not like this. Although early infill construction often clashed with surrounding houses, most recent construction blends much more nicely. The level of finish in the homes I've seen is very high. Of course, you are looking at a much higher price than a similar sized house in the suburbs that is something more along the lines of what you describe.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:14 AM

101 posts, read 142,782 times
Thanks for the comparisons all. I grew up in the Twin Cities and visit Dallas frequently. One thing I noticed is Dallas is that their newer houses tend to be stone and use more traditional details which seem to me a little more desirable. This seems to be a trend in the southern U.S.

Whereas the twin cities houses especially in really nice developments (North West Plymouth or Eden Prairie) tend to use nice multicolors, and or simple siding).

Twin Cities

Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul