Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:19 AM

11 posts, read 72,966 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am moving to the Minniapolis area to go to school at Hennepin Tech. the south campus @

Hennepin Technical College
13100 College View Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55347

I want to move somewhere central to the school as well as not too far from Edina where I have some family. I have only been there 2 times and do not know the area at all. I am single and would like to move somewhere not too suburbia like as I would like to make some friends. I would also like some convinience to the night life. I am also concerened about affordability as I will only have a part time job.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 09:36 AM

481 posts, read 1,816,876 times
I'm afraid Eden Prairie is deepest, darkest suburbia. What are you looking for, an apartment, room, condo? There should be some affordable rentals in Edina around the Southdale area, perhaps on York or Parklawn (don't know the rental scene but there are low cost condos in that area, some are probably apartment complexes or allow sublets).
Nightlife is more of a central cities thing but at least from Southdale you can hop a bus that runs every 15 minutes or so.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 AM

I am most likely looking for a two bedroom as I will probably have my kids every other weekend. I hear Edina is expensive and I dont really wantto live in suburbia. I am recently divorced and live in Suburbia here in GA and I dont like it. GA Might be a little different because everything is so far. I heard MN is different. But I would like to live somewhere where there are a little more than just families. I do worry though that If I live in town it might be too far to go to school (It starts at 7am). How far and how is the traffic from Minneapolis to Eden Praire?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
Minneapolis is a reverse commute, but still pushing it. Richfield may be a comprimise. There are suburban characteristics, but it is built on the same city grid and has public transportation that most City people are accustomed to. Rent is pretty cheap, there are alot of people.
If you go for Mpls., look for neighborhoods like the West side of Lake Calhoun, traffic is easier from there as you don't have to navigate around the lakes. Saint Louis Park is a possibility also.
Is there a particular reason for HennTech? For instance, going to MCTC would allow you to live anywhere in the City.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
...or look at the Brooklyn Park campus instead and rent in NE Minneapolis, if thats an option.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:12 AM

501 posts, read 1,945,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
There should be some affordable rentals in Edina around the Southdale area, perhaps on York or Parklawn (don't know the rental scene but there are low cost condos in that area, some are probably apartment complexes or allow sublets).
This is NOT true. There is nothing low cost about that area...it's more "location, location, location" than most of the rest of Edina therefore not as exclusive, but apts start around $1000/month...you will not be able to find a 2-bedroom on a part-time budget anywhere around this area.

To be honest, from what you're explaining it sounds to me like you don't want anything but Mpls proper...Eden Prairie and it's surrounding cities are all suburbia.

You mention you want to live outside suburbia cause you want to make friends and I'll be quick to say that as long as you're open to making friends and personable and friendly, you shouldn't have a problem meeting neighbors, etc. The fact that you are living in an apt kind of gives you a common thread to anyone who lives in your building...

Having said all that, I'd encourage you to just do a rental search on an apt search engine specifying the rent and amenities etc you're looking for. Those websites should allow you to specify distance from HTC's address. From a quick search I did, you MIGHT get lucky and find something in Minneapolis, St Louis Park, Richfield, Bloomington.

Good luck!!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Minneapolis is a reverse commute, but still pushing it. Richfield may be a comprimise. There are suburban characteristics, but it is built on the same city grid and has public transportation that most City people are accustomed to. Rent is pretty cheap, there are alot of people.
If you go for Mpls., look for neighborhoods like the West side of Lake Calhoun, traffic is easier from there as you don't have to navigate around the lakes. Saint Louis Park is a possibility also.
Is there a particular reason for HennTech? For instance, going to MCTC would allow you to live anywhere in the City.

There is a Hydraulics pram atthe school and I liked the professor there. Also my X-Wife and my kids will be living in Edina. I dont know much about the other schools.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
My cousin did that hydraulics program.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
My cousin did that hydraulics program.
Did he say anything about it? Im actually doing a complete career change. Been told that it was pretty good. Any thoughts?

Old 06-01-2008, 05:59 PM

I was told this buy someone who is much older than I am. Does anyone have any thoughts of these areas?

"Shakopee is a great place to look, it's probably least expensive, over the river from Eden Prairie. Eden Prairie also has a lot of housing. The surrounding towns of Chaska and Chanhassen are also possibilities."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul