Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 04:58 AM

288 posts, read 345,340 times

Advertisements

The last several mayors, the police chief, much of the police force, the CEO's.... I'm all for equal rights, but it just doesn't seem very equal in Minneapolis. Minneapolis doesn't have that much higher of a female population than any other metro, so the fact that women are the face of every in government has to be something that's being done on purpose.

For the African American males in this forum, how do you like living in Minneapolis? Does it seem as though you're afforded the same opportunities as other cities you've lived in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 06:31 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,095,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
The last several mayors, the police chief, much of the police force, the CEO's.... I'm all for equal rights, but it just doesn't seem very equal in Minneapolis. Minneapolis doesn't have that much higher of a female population than any other metro, so the fact that women are the face of every in government has to be something that's being done on purpose.

For the African American males in this forum, how do you like living in Minneapolis? Does it seem as though you're afforded the same opportunities as other cities you've lived in?
More Posts! More Posts! More Posts!

Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 AM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 16 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,728 times
I lived in the Cities for a year and liked it (or at least wanted to), since I'm from small-town MN, but job-wise I was just banging my head against the wall while rents climbed higher. I got somewhat soured to the idea of being a white-collar worker and decided to chart my own course, but that's just me.

One problem with Minneapolis was the strong link between poorness and blackness, so if you're black and not wearing something nice, you'll probably be viewed as poor. And overall, there's more separation between black people and non-blacks. With 3 mil people, of course there are black people in the middle and upper class, but by comparison I was a little shocked moving south, where there's a reasonable proportion of non-black poor people, and there's a considerable number of black people as supervisors, small business owners, etc.

I mention the previous paragraph because, while in the T.C. it's not proper to look down on black people, looking down on poor people is ok. Well, it's not but it is, if you know what I mean. Of course this happens everywhere, so it's a matter of degree, but my sense has been that the Cities lag places like OKC in this regard; then again, I hang with fewer middle/upper class people these days, so my perspective might be limited.

As for the female thing, I don't have a particular problem with it, though I could believe that being a young female is worth a good amount of points on job applications in the Cities (as well as many other places). As far as the higher levels go, one could view it as unfair, but historically women practically couldn't get such positions. Accordingly, I can't say a few years of unfairness in the other direction is the worst, even if there's a chance it could affect me negatively on the small scale.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:29 AM

871 posts, read 1,089,971 times
Quote:
Minneapolis doesn't have that much higher of a female population than any other metro, so the fact that women are the face of every in government has to be something that's being done on purpose.
I think you're right- I do believe people are voting for women on purpose rather than accidently voting for them. Seeing as how voting is done by individuals and there is nothing like affirmative action for mayor or council members I'm not sure what kind of plot could possibly be afoot.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
I think you're right- I do believe people are voting for women on purpose rather than accidently voting for them. Seeing as how voting is done by individuals and there is nothing like affirmative action for mayor or council members I'm not sure what kind of plot could possibly be afoot.
Purposefully keeping women in positions of power and voting for them regardless of their qualifications... Sorry, I'll try to be more specific and spell things out more in the future for you...

Old 08-25-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Purposefully keeping women in positions of power and voting for them regardless of their qualifications... Sorry, I'll try to be more specific and spell things out more in the future for you...
Why do you assume women are being put into positions of power regardless of their qualifications? Do you have any specifics? Do you consider the current mayor unqualified? If so, what qualification does she lack that the male mayors we've elected have?

Also, I'm curious what women CEO's you're referring to- can you expand on that?

Old 08-25-2015, 12:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,209,594 times
Minneapolis has has emerged as a "little Frisco." Far lefties have taken over - years ago. My last visit there was downright scary. A white male "center" has no business there.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,721,463 times
We are being transformed into a matriarchal society. Get used to it.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Why do you assume women are being put into positions of power regardless of their qualifications? Do you have any specifics? Do you consider the current mayor unqualified? If so, what qualification does she lack that the male mayors we've elected have?

Also, I'm curious what women CEO's you're referring to- can you expand on that?
All the aforementioned positions I mentioned in Minneapolis are and have been filled predominately by women, that can't be a coincidence. Please don't act ignorant, it's being done intentionally per Minneapolis's whole feminist movement...

Old 08-25-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
All the aforementioned positions I mentioned in Minneapolis are and have been filled predominately by women, that can't be a coincidence. Please don't act ignorant, it's being done intentionally per Minneapolis's whole feminist movement...
"All the aforementioned positions I mentioned in Minneapolis are and have been filled predominately by women"

"last several mayors, the police chief, much of the police force, the CEO's.... "

Are currently AND have been predominately filled by women
last several mayors - false, previous mayor (two term) was RT Rybak
police chief - false- we've had 1 female police chief
much of the police force - wildly false, women make up about 15% of the police force
CEO's - you can't name one, can you? Women make up, again, roughly 15% of all CEO's

It is you who are acting ignorant, and your facts are wrong. I'll never understand the psychology of people who feel they have a right to spout nonsense here and not be challenged on it. Your biases and prejudices are not precious, they're not enlightening, and if someone pops your balloon they have more right to do that than you do to talk trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul