Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,493 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone has information or suggestions for school districts (esp. on the east side of the twin cities) that are good with students who have academic needs out of the norm. Right now we are in a school that is working out fine, but may need to move. We have had negative experiences with schools being very rigid with a cookie-cutter approach to dealing with students, denying services for both academic strengths and weaknesses. We have kids with very high (tested) cognitive ability, but also are in need of special education for learning disabilities (e.g. they are "twice exceptional"). One of our kids (elementary age) is accelerated 3 grade levels for math, and that is just about the only thing he likes about school so I don't want to go to a school that will force him to do grade level work. We need a school with some flexibility rather than rigid policies. We are middle income and need to commute into St. Paul. Does anyone have any experience with South Washington County? Mahtomedi? Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:28 PM

442 posts, read 593,297 times
My brother, who has special needs, had a great experience in the Mounds View school district.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:45 PM

Thank you.
I was actually in Mounds View for a few years myself but that was almost 30 years ago. Who knows what has changed but I believe a special ed attorney mentioned that district as a possibility when I asked about the special needs aspect, and which districts have a reputation for giving decent services. I'll have to look into it more. It will be a challenge finding a school willing to put an elementary kid into very advanced math, possibly needing to bus him to the middle school or high school for part of the day.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:42 PM

442 posts, read 593,297 times
My father-in-law before he retired worked with small school districts in Iowa on individual plans for advanced math and science students — if they could it in those small districts, I'm sure most of the good districts around the Cities could handle it. Your best bet will be to call the districts you're interested in and ask them directly.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:41 PM

340 posts, read 664,557 times
FWIW, I know someone who works with special needs children in the MPLS district, and she recommended district 287. I have no personal knowledge, tho.

Last edited by Hotfeet; 10-06-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 07:22 PM

114 posts, read 136,632 times
I would suggest looking into the UMTYMP program once your son is a little older (U of M Talented Youth Mathematics Program). It is only available for grades 6-12 according to their website. Hopkins is on the wrong side of town for you, but they are known for having a good special ed program.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:11 PM

Thank you.
Right now his writing is basically illegible chicken scratches (hence, the need for special ed), so I'm not sure if UMTYMP would be able to accommodate that or not, esp. at the fast pace they go. When the time comes in a few years I'll definitely look into it though. I think my brother did that back in the late 80's and now he is a physicist.

I'll also look up district 287.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul