Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:53 PM

50 posts, read 64,604 times

Advertisements

So we are taking our family vacation to Minneapolis next year and I'm really quite excited! I have been there once before, but I was basically a teenager and we only went to the Mall of America. I'm all grown up now and looking forward to doing much more than just shopping. It will be my husband and I and our 7-year-old son. We'll be there next year, late spring/early summer. We will definitely spend a few days at the Mall, and I'm looking forward to that, but I'm sure that's not all the area has to offer! What other activities (touristy or not touristy, doesn't matter to me) would you guys recommend? Also, what are some cool local places to eat? We will probably be there for a full week. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 01:21 PM

906 posts, read 1,767,313 times
There are many things to do here besides going to MOA. In fact, I would actively discourage you against going back to MOA unless your 7 year old wants to visit Nickelodeon Universe.

Here a couple of things I can think about off the top of my head that would be fun with school age child, assuming you are visiting in the summer months:
1. Visit Bde Maka Ska (formerly Lake Calhoun).
2. Visit Minnehaha Falls Park and see the waterfall and walk along the creek.
3. Como Zoo.
4. Baseball game at Target Field or CHS Field.
5. Watch a show at any of the local theatres (such as the Guthrie).
6. Visit the Mill City District and see the Stone Arch Bridge / Mill City Museum.
7. Minnesota Childrens Museum and/or Minnesota Science Museum in St Paul.
8. Hiking and driving along the St Croix River (drive from MSP to Taylor Falls, Franconia, Stillwater, Hudson WI, Red Wing, etc.). They have nice river boat rides too (out of Stillwater?).

Old 10-19-2015, 01:22 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Linden Hills in Minneapolis (your 7 year old will especially love it): take a ride on the historic streetcar, visit the Wild Rumpus children's bookstore (tons of animals there, too), watch the boats on Lake Harriet, then top it off with ice cream from Sebastian Joe's - right next to a fantastic toy store.

Mill City Museum - right by the river, focus on the city's milling history. It's VERY kid-friendly; my kid never wants to leave the water play room. And then you can walk across the Stone Arch Bridge and watch the falls and the river activity.

Unless you're REALLY into shopping and don't have many stores at home, one day at the MOA is all you'll need.

Rent a canoe and canoe around Lake of the Isles.

Visit Minnehaha Falls; if the weather is nice, bring a swimsuit for your son and let him play in the nearby splash pad pool, too.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:24 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
There is a new Hy-vee grocery store opening in Oakdale. Been quite a topic of discussion. You could try checking that out.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
There is a new Hy-vee grocery store opening in Oakdale. Been quite a topic of discussion. You could try checking that out.
Probably some history on this board with this comment I'm not aware of, but I just had to LOL. We too have just had a new Hy-Vee open and let me tell you, it is the TALK OF THE TOWN!

Old 10-19-2015, 01:32 PM

For what it's worth, I am kind of "into shopping" and there are a lot of stores not available in my town, so the Mall will be a minimum 2 days for us. But I'm open ended after that. We will go to the Nickelodeon Universe and Lego store for sure. Beyond that I'll make a list of my "must dos" before we get there!

Old 10-19-2015, 01:49 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
Spend 1 nice day, drive up to Taylor's Falls area. Light hiking and beautiful scenery. Or down to Red Wing and visit Frontenac State Park. Red Wing has an old historic river city feel. Stop into Stillwater too.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:58 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
How old are your kids? Where will you be staying? And will you have a car?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:09 AM

878 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Another vote for the Mill City Museum, my 7, 10 and 13 year olds really enjoyed it, as did my husband, father and I. Perhaps walk around the skyways in downtown Minneapolis, on the Stone Arch Bridge, in the North Loop (great restaurants!)-- go out to Stillwater or Excelsior. Depending on when you're visiting, there are boat tours of the both the Mississippi and Lake Minnetonka (and I'm sure there are additional options, those are only the ones that I know of)

Personally, I think more than a day at MOA is overkill-- yes, there are a LOT of stores, but there aren't many unique stores and virtually all have online options, so I'd rather use my time to see what IS unique here-- or perhaps dispatch your husband and son to enjoy the Cities while you shop? I know that my kids and husband would absolutely rebel if I tried to spend more than an hour or two in a mall; it's absolutely NOT their idea of fun (then again, it's not mine either, ha!)

Old 10-30-2015, 04:34 PM

687 posts, read 1,256,259 times
If you have any interest in canoeing/nature I'd check out the Rice Creek Chain of Lakes and rent canoes at the Wargo Nature Center. You'll be able to canoe for hours on a chain of something like 7 lakes that have minimally developed or completely undeveloped shoreline and you will see very few (if any) other people. It feels as wild as you'll find in the metro. Think poor man's version of the Boundary Waters. On the less wild side, one of the lakes is a takeoff/landing spot for some seaplanes. That can be interesting to see.

In any case, the Rice Creek Chain of Lakes gives an experience that is pretty unique for a metro area and possibly unique to Minnesota and Wisconsin in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul