Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:03 PM

597 posts, read 667,265 times

Advertisements

I grew up in MN, but left in 1991. Light rail didn't exist when I lived there, and I've never ridden it on my trips back. It's not a huge system, but it looks like it has some well-thought out stops. Is it used a decent amount? I appreciate when a city has good transit options. I know that few, if any, transit systems make enough money to cover costs and are subsidized. Is subsidization worth it in MSP's case?

My parents had a house in St. Cloud for years after I left and you could take the train from Becker (edit: Big Lake) into the city. Can you connect to light rail from that train (assuming it still runs)?

Last edited by goillini8; 09-29-2016 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 03:31 PM

367 posts, read 545,766 times
I think it's decent. It's not the fastest way to move around the overall region but it's a fine option for local destinations within the core cities. I think there are far too many stops, particularly along the Green Line on University Ave, that, coupled with the fact that the line has to stop for traffic lights, makes the ride between Minneapolis and St. Paul excruciatingly slow. The Blue Line is also slowed by traffic lights in downtown Minneapolis, but thankfully that is not the case once it leaves the downtown core and travels to the Mall of America.

Both the Blue and Green Lines currently terminate at Target Field Station (although they will be expanded in coming years to Brooklyn Park and Eden Prairie respectively). From Target Field Station, you can take the Northstar Commuter Rail to Big Lake, but officials are trying to expand it to St. Cloud (which to me would make a lot more sense and attract more riders since the current route is far from a success story).

People say light-rail is well-used at rush hour, and I can't validate that since I don't take it during commuting times, but I will say that when I've used the trains at off-peak and weekend hours the cars are pretty empty overall (unless there is a large event like a Twins or Vikings game).

Overall, I don't think light rail is worth its excessive cost.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:33 PM

256 posts, read 287,197 times
I like it. It's not as cramped as the bus, and depending where you're going, it can be a little quicker. As mentioned though, it DOES have to stop for traffic lights, which is ridiculous. The trains can get thrown out of wack because some ******* decided to run a red light and the conductor has to slam on the brakes. Or, that other special species of ******* who decides he's important enough to creep through a yellow light and park in the intersection as it turns red.... except on the train tracks.

Anyway, overall it's no worse than taking a bus, but if it were tweaked a little, it could end up being significantly faster and more worthwhile.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:43 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,940 times
Yes, it is a success:

There are more than 100 bus lines and 2 light rail lines, but those 2 light rail lines account for over a quarter of ridership.

https://www.metrotransit.org/metro-t...illion-in-2015

However, the Northstar Commuter line has pretty consistently been a dud.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:28 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
It's a failure. No one uses it except for events.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:24 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
I think where it holds the most value is for out of Towner's. I love traveling to other cities that make it easy on foreigners. If I traveled to Minneapolis on business, to think that I could go from the airport, to DT, to the mall, to St. Paul all by light rail is pretty awesome.

I think many people incorrectly just success by if ticket sales cover operating costs. But I think that's silly, as that's not the case with most roads either.

What amazes me are the city buses. Every time I take one of the MVTA buses, I'm amazed at how clean it is. I swear I've never been on a bus that feels more than a year old. Then you free Wi-Fi, and you never have to stand.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times
Meh. It's better than most cities but could have been better in many ways. I wish you it were more like the one in Phoenix which is faster and has security guards on some trains and just overall has less awkward seating.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:24 AM

65 posts, read 77,831 times
No. I recently moved here from the NYC suburbs. Rail system is what I
Miss the most. The south west suburbs are entirely cut off from the system. That
Limits my interest in traveling into the city.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
YES !
A success !

Old 09-30-2016, 04:20 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleLC View Post
No. I recently moved here from the NYC suburbs. Rail system is what I
Miss the most. The south west suburbs are entirely cut off from the system. That
Limits my interest in traveling into the city.
But within the city I would say it's a success. Light rail isn't really designed to go into the suburbs in any city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul