Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 07:53 PM

7 posts, read 18,113 times

Advertisements

Hello!! What are the best vehicles for driving around during the winters? Is it best to have all wheel drive or will all weather tires suffice for harsh driving conditions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 08:11 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,972 times
For most people a good front wheel drive car with good all-weather tires is sufficient. We clear the roads fairly quickly around here.

AWD is better but not crucial. Many people like a small suv like the RAV4 or Santa Fe with AWD. Subarus are very popular too.

There's an often overlooked downside to AWD though - although it helps you accelerate better it doesn't help you stop or steer any better, giving some drivers false confidence. You'll see big SUVs and trucks barreling down the freeway too fast in snow quite often and, anecdotally speaking, I feel like there are a disproportionate number of these in ditches due to this overconfidence.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:07 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Best winter car (and every other season) = Tesla Model S

Old 10-09-2016, 07:04 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
There is a difference between all wheel drive and four wheel drive. Each vehicle has a slightly different way to transmit power to the wheels and tires are probably more important than the number of drive wheels. (In short, wide, low profile tires suck in ice and snow.) My recommendation is to compile a short list of vehicles, do some research on how they operate, them test drive them during a snowstorm. Here's some background on AWD vs. 4WD. 4WD vs AWD: What's The Diff? - Tech Feature - Motor Trend

Old 10-09-2016, 07:07 AM

Wait how do you test drive all your short list vehicles in a snowstorm? Seems...excessive and also not very time efficient.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:33 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Subaru AWD or FWD with Blizzak tires.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Wait how do you test drive all your short list vehicles in a snowstorm? Seems...excessive and also not very time efficient.
I narrowed my list down to two vehicles and test drive both on the same day. I waited for a day when it snowed. It really wasn't a long wait since I was buying a car late in the year. If you're buying a car in July that clearly doesn't work but this is October and it should snow here within the next 4-6 weeks.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I narrowed my list down to two vehicles and test drive both on the same day. I waited for a day when it snowed. It really wasn't a long wait since I was buying a car late in the year. If you're buying a car in July that clearly doesn't work but this is October and it should snow here within the next 4-6 weeks.
OK but Sunday's, work days... I mean that's kinda tough to time.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
OK but Sunday's, work days... I mean that's kinda tough to time.
Car dealers are open in the evenings now so people can go after work. And whether it's convenient or not, the best way to find out how a car handles in the snow is to drive it in the snow. Maybe you have a better idea. If so, let's hear it.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Car dealers are open in the evenings now so people can go after work. And whether it's convenient or not, the best way to find out how a car handles in the snow is to drive it in the snow. Maybe you have a better idea. If so, let's hear it.
Buy a reasonable car. They are all equal-ish (fwd, rwd and AWD obviously make a difference). Tires matter far more than the car itself.

I don't buy cars for the 3 days a year I need to drive through snow. I also don't like to make people think they need to spend weeks testing cars in snow to find 'the right one.' Get a Camry with good all-wheel tires and drive reasonably. You'll be fine.

I mean if your schedule allows it great. But driving on 494 from Eden Prairie Kia to France Ave and back one time in the snow isn't gonna tell you if it's the best car or not.

Last edited by mr roboto; 10-09-2016 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul