Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:30 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viridianforest View Post
When you mention taxes, are you referring to income tax, property tax, sales tax, etc.?

Didn't know Minnesota had a $15/hr minimum wage proposal out. Our minimum recently changed to $10/hr. Even the $10/hr minimum wage affected businesses (raised prices for services, lay offs, etc.) here after they spoke out against it in the first place. Good to know that the job market could shift a bit if that passes.

I wonder why the rise in crime or what type of crime is on the rise.

Are there any good suburbs on the outside you could suggest?
you really need to pin down where the job will be because the metro area is large. just about any suburb is going to be ok to fine, some "better" than others depending upon what is important for you. some would exclude some of the first ring suburbs (east bloomington, richfield) brooklyn park or center (i can't remember which is the "bad" one).

the hysteria about the $15/hr wage and increasing crime is part and parcel of that person's posts in general. he/she should probably move out of MN. and it's not the state with the proposal on the table, it's minneapolis proper.

other cities in the state are obviously going to have more limited job possibilities although rochester might be worth a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 02:39 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times
Quote:
I hear an awful lot about remote control starters when it comes to Minnesota, but I can imagine the convenience of them in both cold and hot climates. Some people here do have them as well. Not sure how I feel about them in general, but we don't have one. We are stuck with a stick shift, too - good mileage, but not so fun to drive sometimes lol.
There's nothing worse than sitting at work. It's 3 degrees outside. Now you have to run outside turn the car on and wait for it to warm up.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:06 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Be prepared to pay high taxes. Consider that in your overall budget.

Jobs and unemployment might be changing if Minneapolis passes the $15 hour minimum wage.
Business owners have already spoken out against this. Saying they will have to close their doors.

Crime is up 65% in St. Paul.
Minneapolis crime is bad and rising.
I wouldn't send my kids to either of those school districts.

If you at looking at moving here, i would look at the outer laying suburbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post

the hysteria about the $15/hr wage and increasing crime is part and parcel of that person's posts in general. he/she should probably move out of MN. and it's not the state with the proposal on the table, it's minneapolis proper.

Might want to clean your glasses, old fed
I did say Minneapolis

What hysteria. It's coming up for vote.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
When you mention taxes, are you referring to income tax, property tax, sales tax, etc.?

Didn't know Minnesota had a $15/hr minimum wage proposal out. Our minimum recently changed to $10/hr. Even the $10/hr minimum wage affected businesses (raised prices for services, lay offs, etc.) here after they spoke out against it in the first place. Good to know that the job market could shift a bit if that passes.

I wonder why the rise in crime or what type of crime is on the rise.

Are there any good suburbs on the outside you could suggest?
Here is sales tax by city in Minnesota
Minnesota (MN) Sales Tax Rates by City

We have a high State income tax

Here is property tax rate by County info
Minnesota Property Taxes By County - 2017

Here is crime rates by neighborhood

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/mn/st-paul/crime

In the winter the roads get plowed better in the suburbs.
St. Paul is notoriously bad for plowing.

Stillwater, Roseville, Lakeville, White Bear Lake, Woodbury are just some good ones.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:33 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,062 times
^Yes, Minnesota has a higher tax rate. But in return it offers a higher standard of living in the US. More Fortune 500 corporations per capita than anywhere else (yes, that's true - look it up). Among the best educated cities in the nation. One of the most literate states. Best public radio system in the country. Among the best places (rated annually over and over) to raise a family. The highest percentage of voter turnout in the nation.

Minnesota, and, specifically the Twin Cities (since 70% of Minnesotans live in Minneapolis-St.Paul) have consistently ranked among the best places to live in the US for over 40 years.

Last edited by Astron1000; 06-26-2017 at 09:04 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 08:42 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,062 times
If you want to get the "flavor" of what Minnesota is about, it's easy.

Go to the internet and listen to Minnesota Public Radio: mpr.org. They have three stations: the superb KNOW 91.1 for news, KSJN 99.5 for Classical Music, and The Current 89.3 which has a very eclectic mix of classic and modern rock, as well as other contemporary music. MPR also owns and runs American Public Media (APM) and Public Radio International (PRI).

Old 06-26-2017, 08:43 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
The problem for OP is moving from the hottest big city in the US to the coldest big city in the US. The extreme change may be difficult to adjust.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:15 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Might want to clean your glasses, old fed
I did say Minneapolis

What hysteria. It's coming up for vote.
clean yours. i was replying to the OP who stated minnesota. i even quoted her post.

the hysteria is tying it to increased crime.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:11 AM

274 posts, read 294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
you really need to pin down where the job will be because the metro area is large. just about any suburb is going to be ok to fine, some "better" than others depending upon what is important for you. some would exclude some of the first ring suburbs (east bloomington, richfield) brooklyn park or center (i can't remember which is the "bad" one).

other cities in the state are obviously going to have more limited job possibilities although rochester might be worth a look.
Thanks, I will see what I can find around as far as Rochester and other areas.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:20 AM

274 posts, read 294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
There's nothing worse than sitting at work. It's 3 degrees outside. Now you have to run outside turn the car on and wait for it to warm up.
Yeah, I can definitely imagine the convenience of it. If we move there, perhaps it should be something we need to look into. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul