Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 09:01 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times

Advertisements

The crime maps are only as accurate as the person putting the info in.

I have known of crimes that happened and never seen them on any crime map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 07:22 PM

878 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Where will you be working and what's your max acceptable commute (in time)? Do you have kids that will be attending schools? Will you be renting or buying-- and what is your budget?

And, to answer your question about crime, I previously lived in NYC-- I don't find (the vast majority) of MSP to be unsafe.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 PM

43 posts, read 71,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Where will you be working and what's your max acceptable commute (in time)? Do you have kids that will be attending schools? Will you be renting or buying-- and what is your budget?

And, to answer your question about crime, I previously lived in NYC-- I don't find (the vast majority) of MSP to be unsafe.
I'm not 100% sure where I'll be working but my background is in hospitality so I'll probably be looking for a fairly upscale restaurant to work in. Given that most of those seem to be in Uptown or Downtown, I suppose that's the prime area I'm focused on.

For commute times, I plan to bike pretty much every day, but I also am a fast biker and can cover a lot of distance quick. From some tooling around I did on Google Maps, it looks like pretty much anywhere in the inner ring suburbs and maybe even a bit further out than that is fine.

We plan on renting for awhile, at least until we're totally financially stable and know we'll be settling there permanently. After that, we'll definitely buy a home. Estimating budgets is tricky since I don't have a job lined up yet but for now the lower the rent, the better, simply so we can save money. Assuming I can find an equivalent or better position in Minneapolis, I should be able to afford $1000 a month at the least, but like I said, less would be preferable if possible without living in a bad area.

We do not have kids yet but we absolutely plan on it, but that probably won't be for another 3-5 years at least.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 AM

256 posts, read 287,197 times
Well, unfortunately the $1000/mo rent thing may be hard to find, at least in areas that don't show up on the crime maps. If you can budget a few hundred more, you should be good to go. Unless you know a friend of a friend of a friend or whatever, finding a cheap rental can be nearly impossible, even in the bad (crime-wise) areas.

As far as area, I know you were mentioning Dakota or Scott counties in the other thread about biking, but... I'd personally recommend you look into St. Louis Park or Hopkins. Unlike south of the river where you'd have to piece together spurts of a 10 mile bike ride that may or may not be feasible year round, both SLP and Hopkins have dedicated bike-only trails like I was mentioning in the other thread going right through them, and you could get to work in Downtown or Uptown Minneapolis no problem all year round (as long as you're dressed accordingly ).

Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 PM

43 posts, read 71,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursicinus View Post
Well, unfortunately the $1000/mo rent thing may be hard to find, at least in areas that don't show up on the crime maps. If you can budget a few hundred more, you should be good to go. Unless you know a friend of a friend of a friend or whatever, finding a cheap rental can be nearly impossible, even in the bad (crime-wise) areas.

As far as area, I know you were mentioning Dakota or Scott counties in the other thread about biking, but... I'd personally recommend you look into St. Louis Park or Hopkins. Unlike south of the river where you'd have to piece together spurts of a 10 mile bike ride that may or may not be feasible year round, both SLP and Hopkins have dedicated bike-only trails like I was mentioning in the other thread going right through them, and you could get to work in Downtown or Uptown Minneapolis no problem all year round (as long as you're dressed accordingly ).
We're not looking for much in terms of rentals, a one bedroom in a decent area is all we want. I did a bit of browsing on Craigslist and it looks like there are such options in my price range, but you're right that a few hundred more opens up many more possibilities. This is all still a bargain for me though, coming from NYC where you'd be lucky to get a studio for $1000 a month, even in a bad area.

From what you and others have been saying, it does look like Scott and Dakota are out for now. Shame, they looked quite nice.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:59 PM

256 posts, read 287,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator545 View Post
We're not looking for much in terms of rentals, a one bedroom in a decent area is all we want. I did a bit of browsing on Craigslist and it looks like there are such options in my price range, but you're right that a few hundred more opens up many more possibilities. This is all still a bargain for me though, coming from NYC where you'd be lucky to get a studio for $1000 a month, even in a bad area.

From what you and others have been saying, it does look like Scott and Dakota are out for now. Shame, they looked quite nice.
Just make sure to do your due diligence with Craigslist. I've used it to find 2 out of the last 4 places I've lived in the Cities, but there are so many fakes/phishing scams on there it can be quite a chore.

I hear you on the modest needs thing, but what was so frustrating for me with the rental market here is that if you do some digging, yeah you can find a livable 1 BR in a nice area.... but if you add another, say, 200, you might find a nice duplex or single-family in a nice area. It would be an easier decision if they weren't so close in price.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:17 PM

878 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Check padmapper.com-- it works best from a laptop, doesn't work well from a phone or a tablet. While $1000 might prove challenging, you only need ONE place to live not dozens--- you might get lucky and find a great and safe place for your budget. I also agree with staying in SLP or Hopkins rather than south of the river, if possible for a variety of reasons.

Someone a few weeks ago posted a link to a place that had 1 bedrooms for $850ish (I can't recall who posted or where the apartment was located, sorry)-- but it was definitely relatively recently and it was either in Minneapolis or close in, if I recall correctly.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:44 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I think a graph would be more accurate. It would correspond with when Bike Lane Betty and her band of misfits took over the city. It's shocking the difference from now to even 5 years ago.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:24 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Downtowns tend to be safe, but look bad because the stats are based on land area or resident population only. A true per-capita analysis would include hotel guests, worker population, shoppers, etc., whoever is around at a given time of day -- a huge increase in the denominator. But that would be hard to do, so these things tend to be half-assed.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:51 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Downtowns tend to be safe, but look bad because the stats are based on land area or resident population only. A true per-capita analysis would include hotel guests, worker population, shoppers, etc., whoever is around at a given time of day -- a huge increase in the denominator. But that would be hard to do, so these things tend to be half-assed.
Very well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul