Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 15,042 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are wanting to make the move next summer to one of the suburbs of the Twin Cities. We have spent the last 10 years in Montana and are wondering if the winters are as harsh in Minnesota? It's definitely not a deal breaker though. We actually love the snow! I'm originally from the Lake Tahoe area, so cold and snowy winters are all I've ever known.
Basically we have a price range of about 250 and 350 thousand to spend on a home. We would prefer a newer community if possible, preferably no more than 15 years old. We are looking for a safe community with low crime rates, and preferably a town with a population with no more than 50,000 people. We are in a small town now here in Montana, and don't want the big city. 50,000 is about all we can handle
Any suggestions are appreciated. There are so many suburbs, we don't even know where to start

Also, work and school will not be an issue. I work from home, and our kids are homeschooled.

Last edited by Mon2Min; 10-03-2017 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Clarified employment issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 08:00 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,194 times
Where you are going to work/commute makes a big difference. Twin Cities are kind of in quadrants. North, South, West and East. If you work in the West (Minnetonka or Golden Valley) you can rule out the East and probably the North and South etc.

Where will work/school/commute be?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:05 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,140,733 times
it's unclear if you're looking for a suburb of the metro or a smaller city. some of the burbs in the metro will meet the population parameter you mention but they're all connected/border each other so you're essentially going to be in the big city.

the other big question is where is the employment located?

winters can get cold streaks with days well below zero.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:09 PM

Work and school are non-issues. My wife and I work from home, and our kids will be homeschooled after we move

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Where you are going to work/commute makes a big difference. Twin Cities are kind of in quadrants. North, South, West and East. If you work in the West (Minnetonka or Golden Valley) you can rule out the East and probably the North and South etc.

Where will work/school/commute be?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:18 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,140,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon2Min View Post
Work and school are non-issues. My wife and I work from home, and our kids will be homeschooled after we move
so do you want a suburb in the city or a smaller city away from the metro?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:51 PM

Preferably a smaller city/town away from the metro.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon2Min View Post
Preferably a smaller city/town away from the metro.
Ok. Then it's not really a suburb.

With your criteria there's hundreds of options. Can you narrow it down?

Old 10-03-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Ok. Then it's not really a suburb.

With your criteria there's hundreds of options. Can you narrow it down?
Oh I see, ok. Yeah we're really quite clueless about the area.

Basically, just low crime and population no more than around 50 thousand or so. And some nice restaurants and decent shopping either close by or within 15-20 mins driving distance. Other that that, we are really quite easy to please. As I mentioned, we live in Montana, and are used to the simple life out here. We just wanted a little bit more of a family friendly environment to raise our kids, and my wife took a trip to Minnesota when she was younger, and loved it, and has ALWAYS wanted to move there, so I'm trying to fulfill her wish once and for all

Old 10-03-2017, 09:16 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,912 times
Lake Elmo might fit the bill. We recently has a friend from out of state look around the TC and he fell in love with Lake Elmo. To be honest I hadn't thought of the place for years as it's not mentioned really. It's pretty, small and woodsy. Chaska has newer homes and is further out too. My grandparents just bought a new place over there and I was impressed with the area. Pretty far out but it sounds like that's what you want.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:01 PM

442 posts, read 593,415 times
My dad's side of the family is from Montana, so I've spent a lot of time out there. One note I would have is that my grandmother always felt claustrophobic in Minnesota — she was used to being to see mountains in at least one direction her whole life, and seeing nothing but trees in the distance always disoriented her.

You have many options for small towns with low crime and good quality of life. Stillwater might be worth looking into — it can be hectic on summer weekends, but the scenery is great and it's close enough to the Cities when you want to be close, but also feels like it's own city. Same goes with places like Forest Lake, Hastings, and even neat little towns like Lanesboro (though probably too small) in the southern part of the state.

What things are important to you — do you want wide open spaces or lakes? Do you want elevation changes or flat country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul