Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,266 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to hear some input from locals before I made the move to MN. I did see some threads on here that have been super helpful

The backstory
I am from Florida and my wife is from the Midwest. We have been in SE wisconsin between kenosha WI and Milwaukee WI for the last 4yrs. I have been looking at jobs that fit my background and The twin cities appear to have a bunch of opportunity in my career field and lots of opportunity.

TRAFFIC:I hear traffic is horrible. Being from Florida I think tampa traffic is horrible, as I seem to never hit any when I go through milwaukee/ Chicago or Atlanta. I would be living in the cottage grove area working in Prescott wi while the wife works in the city. Is the traffic THAT bad? How does it compare to milwaukee? I’ve done research but I don’t feel it’s accurate as some cities I drive through don’t make the “worst cities” list so I thought I would solicit the locals

The property taxes seem in line with Milwaukee and the schools in mn seem better. A typical house in my area of wisconsin is built in the 80’s and goes for $180k with 1500 sq ft. When I searched south east of the cities that same house would cost between 220-250k and is 50-100 years old . Why is that? I know it’s a sellers market but are the wages that much higher?

WEATHER: although I’ve spent the majority of my life in FL, I can handle the cold. It’s the wind that kills me and it seems to be windier here because we are on a Great Lake. If there was little to no wind, I could handle the cold. Are the twin cities really that much colder than Milwaukee?

summer: in Milwaukee there is tons to do in the summer. Lots of music, lots of fests, parks and water activities/boating . (No fun places to go indoors in the winter). How are the twin cities in the summer? Outside of sports, is there a lot to do?

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 12:51 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
The traffic is not that bad and there will be zero traffic between Cottage Grove and Prescott. For your wife, it depends on what you mean by “the city.” Is she working in St Paul or Minneapolis and where in the city? Use Google Maps or a smiler app to check commute times.

Because the air temp is usually lower and because we’re not on the lake, you don’t get that damp feeling in the winter so, when dressed appropriately, I find it doesn’t feel as cold as Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, etc. Sometimes it can be windy but not usually.

I don’t know if comparable houses are more expensive here or not.

Yes, there are tons of things to do here indoors and out year around.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:16 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,374 times
The weather is what it is It is a "dry" cold most of the time, which is better than the damp cold. This time of year is the worst, as going into March some years we are moving into spring and some years, like this year, we get dumped on and it may be a few weeks to a month before spring sets in for good. But if you love fresh snow, and I suppose a lot of people do, it's a wonderland.

Spring/Summer/Fall in the Twin Cities are the best IMO. There is a lot of stuff going on outside- a lot of people spend their whole days outside- outdoor concerts, bar patios, ball games, bike trails, the many lakes, the lush greenery; it's gorgeous - a trade off for winter. Traffic in the Cottage Grove area should not be bad. Once you get up towards 494, 94 and into Minneapolis and the SW Metro it can get worse, but not as bad as Miami or Chicago- not sure how bad Tampa is.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:35 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
Housing - put simply the Twin Coties is a more desirable area than Milwaukee. Milwaukee is on the Indy/St Louis/Cleveland tier regarding metros. Minneapolis/St Paul is one notch above (more comparable to Denver/Seattle). So that’s why homes are more.

Wages are high. Public amenities are great. Schools and parks and public festivals etc are plentiful.

Traffic isn’t that bad IF...

1. you’ve lived anywhere bigger than MSP and know what real traffic feels like
2. you avoid cross-metro commuting (ex. living in eastern burbs and working in Minneapolis or living in south metro working in north metro)
3. you can avoid peak rush hour during snow events.

Tampa area doesn’t have as good of a freeway infrastructure (especially Pinellas Co). The Twin Cities have highways/freeways everywhere in the core/inner ring suburbs.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:10 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryleyw9 View Post
I was hoping to hear some input from locals before I made the move to MN. I did see some threads on here that have been super helpful

The backstory
I am from Florida and my wife is from the Midwest. We have been in SE wisconsin between kenosha WI and Milwaukee WI for the last 4yrs. I have been looking at jobs that fit my background and The twin cities appear to have a bunch of opportunity in my career field and lots of opportunity.

TRAFFIC:I hear traffic is horrible. Being from Florida I think tampa traffic is horrible, as I seem to never hit any when I go through milwaukee/ Chicago or Atlanta. I would be living in the cottage grove area working in Prescott wi while the wife works in the city. Is the traffic THAT bad? How does it compare to milwaukee? I’ve done research but I don’t feel it’s accurate as some cities I drive through don’t make the “worst cities” list so I thought I would solicit the locals

The property taxes seem in line with Milwaukee and the schools in mn seem better. A typical house in my area of wisconsin is built in the 80’s and goes for $180k with 1500 sq ft. When I searched south east of the cities that same house would cost between 220-250k and is 50-100 years old . Why is that? I know it’s a sellers market but are the wages that much higher?

WEATHER: although I’ve spent the majority of my life in FL, I can handle the cold. It’s the wind that kills me and it seems to be windier here because we are on a Great Lake. If there was little to no wind, I could handle the cold. Are the twin cities really that much colder than Milwaukee?

summer: in Milwaukee there is tons to do in the summer. Lots of music, lots of fests, parks and water activities/boating . (No fun places to go indoors in the winter). How are the twin cities in the summer? Outside of sports, is there a lot to do?

Thanks for any help
Traffic: it's what you'd expect given the size of the city (we are ~2x the size of Milwaukee). I am amazed to hear you say you don't hit traffic in Atlanta or Chicago, as these cities seem to always have traffic, even on weekends. The commute from cottage grove should not be that bad.

Home:A good starter home probably costs $275K? We have higher wages, a better economy (Milwaukee is in the rust belt), and higher housing codes which also drive up the cost.

Wind: I don't know that I would characterize the twin Cities as windy, moreso down by Rochester and over west by South Dakota.

Summer: We are known as a festival city, and outside of Milwaukee latching on to Chicago, I'd be willing to guess we have a lot more going on than Milwaukee. We are a music city, have the best state fair in the country, lots of farmer's markets, etc.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:22 AM

733 posts, read 761,156 times
Above advice is all pretty good. Go for the move - Twin Cities area is great since you're good with the cold in the winter.

JOBS - It's a bigger market with lots of companies, so if you've done your research like you say, it's probably accurate and you'll have options.
TRAFFIC - No worse than Tampa. Cottage Grove to Minneapolis would be a long drive, to St. Paul not as bad. Can always take the bus.
HOUSING - Maybe costs are a little higher, but should not be out of line. Wages are also probably a little higher than Milwaukee.
WEATHER - It will be colder in January than Milwaukee, but not as windy.
SUMMER - Tons to do all over the Twin Cities. Very similar - Lots of music, lots of fests, parks.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:47 PM

878 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Schools are rated higher in MN than WI and, as others have mentioned, there's TONS to do here in the summer.

I'm also from FL, have been living here for almost 4 years-- there's rarely enough wind to make it feel like the cold is penetrating your bones (I travel to Chicago for work fairly often and I feel a HUGE difference when I'm there, even at comparable temps).

I can understand and appreciate your concern about housing costs, but the difference between a house for $180 and one for $250 (in monthly carrying costs) is less than $500/per month-- so as long as you and/or your wife are making a total of $8-$10K more, you shouldn't feel a difference-- and you might feel it's worth it for the "better" schools for your kids, even if you make a lateral move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul