Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 07:03 AM

329 posts, read 460,173 times

Advertisements

Don't believe everything you read and hear. We all are at least aware of this. But I have not realized how really impacted I was by this.

Over the years, I have been concerned about various "reports" that I hear
from Twin Cities media (at least the ones that I have perused) about a variety of topics.
One example is the Twin Cities media FIRESTORM, yes the media firestorm that I don't believe was created by people actually living here, when Andrew Zimmern complained about the lack of quality Chinese restaurants in the Twin Cities. Sure, Andrew Zimmern just started his own Chinese restaurant here-however-let's be real, he's also travelled extensively outside of the Minnesota, all over America, and around the world. So he has some kind of informed opinion, right?

Some of the Twin Cities media outlets said that certain Chinese chefs were "outraged" and "insulted" and I know for a FACT that that is just not what I have heard, and seen, and experienced.

But it goes further. Twin Cities media has managed to manipulate a lot of national media outlets, websites, etc. everywhere.

Why? Why would they do such a thing? Money. Plain and simple. The more people that live here, the more money they make.

You have to ask yourself, who is benefitting from these reports? Who? I am talking about these reports about Top Ten Lists of best places to list, and Minneapolis being on every single one of them, and all the time, year after year, after year.

Yes, the Twin Cities has a LOT of jobs, a TON. You will be well-employed here if your career field is here. Also, in a number of categories, the Twin Cities really is at the top of the list. Quality of health care, fair access to services, etc.

But there are other considerations for families. What it is actually like living here, etc. The day-to-day here.

Some people are really not affected by cold weather. But some of us are. And those sentiments, and the daily life here, day to day life here, will affect you, it will affect your spouse, and it will affect your family.

If you are happy living here, that is fantastic. But if you aren't, then be at least aware of the reports you are bombarded with every day.

The Twin Cities IS a great place to host the Super Bowl. It is a great place to host the NCAA basketball tournament. But for some families, it is not a great place to LIVE.

You have to be honest with yourself, you have to talk to your spouse, you have to talk to your family, and not just listen to these reports, because some reports that you read or see just have an agenda, and they were not truly unbiased and objective.

Because it's not worth it for you and/or your family to fall apart. It's important that you, and/or your family, are truly happy living here.

Also, if you truly do like living here, and your spouse and family truly like living here, but you find that you are not making many friends, find and join a community church of some kind. Our family has found that you can meet a lot of people that way, and it gets past the "Minnesota Nice" kind of stuff. We've been here for ten years, and it's one of the quickest way to meet people in Minnesota from my experience and my family's experience.

City-Data is an amazing tool and resource, and I hope that everyone reading this can truly be happy living where they are living.

Last edited by Sunbrite; 01-10-2019 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
Don't believe everything you read and hear. We all are at least aware of this. But I have not realized how really impacted I was by this.

from Twin Cities media (at least the ones that I have perused) about a variety of topics.
One example is the Twin Cities media FIRESTORM, yes the media firestorm that I don't believe was created by people actually living here, when Andrew Zimmern complained about the lack of quality Chinese restaurants in the Twin Cities. Sure, Andrew Zimmern just started his own Chinese restaurant here-however-let's be real, he's also travelled extensively outside of the Minnesota, all over America, and around the world. So he some kind of informed opinion, right?

Some of the Twin Cities media outlets said that certain Chinese chefs were "outraged" and "insulted" and I know for a FACT that that is just not what I have heard, and seen, and experienced.

But it goes further. Twin Cities media has managed to manipulate a lot of national media outlets, websites, etc. everywhere.

Why? Why would they do such a thing? Money. Plain and simple. The more people that live here, the more money they make.

You have to ask yourself, who is benefitting from these reports? Who? I am talking about these reports about Top Ten Lists of best places to list, and Minneapolis being on every single one of them, and all the time, year after year, after year.

Yes, the Twin Cities has a LOT of jobs, a TON. You will be well-employed here if your career field is here. Also, in a number of categories, the Twin Cities really is at the top of the list. Quality of health care, fair access to services, etc.

But there are other considerations for families. What it is actually like living here, etc. The day-to-day here.

Some people are really not affected by cold weather. But some of us are. And those sentiments, and the daily life here, day to day life here, will affect you, it will affect your spouse, and it will affect your family.

If you are happy living here, that is fantastic. But if you aren't, then be at least aware of the reports you are bombarded with every day.

The Twin Cities IS a great place to host the Super Bowl. It is a great place to host the NCAA basketball tournament. But for some families, it is not a great place to LIVE.

You have to be honest with yourself, you have to talk to your spouse, you have to talk to your family, and not just listen to these reports, because some reports that you read or see just have an agenda, and they were not truly unbiased and objective.

Because it's not worth it for you and/or your family to fall apart. It's important that you, and/or your family, are truly happy living here.

Also, if you truly do like living here, and your spouse and family truly like living here, but you find that you are not making many friends, find and join a community church of some kind. Our family has found that you can meet a lot of people that way, and it gets past the "Minnesota Nice" kind of stuff. We've been here for ten years, and it's one of the quickest way to meet people in Minnesota from my experience and my family's experience.

City-Data is an amazing tool and resource, and I hope that everyone reading this can truly be happy living where they are living.
^sorry, I don't believe a word of it

Old 01-10-2019, 08:17 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times
I could swear my brain tried to squeeze itself out of my left ear while I attempted to read that post.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 AM

490 posts, read 624,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post

One example is the Twin Cities media FIRESTORM, yes the media firestorm that I don't believe was created by people actually living here, when Andrew Zimmern complained about the lack of quality Chinese restaurants in the Twin Cities. Sure, Andrew Zimmern just started his own Chinese restaurant here-however-let's be real, he's also travelled extensively outside of the Minnesota, all over America, and around the world. So he has some kind of informed opinion, right?

OMG! RuOK?

Old 01-10-2019, 08:58 AM

871 posts, read 1,089,321 times
Of all the novel conspiracy theories I've heard "Twin Cities media is manipulating the rest of the country's media to make the Twin Cities look better" is one of the more creative ones. Points for that!

Old 01-10-2019, 09:15 AM

And let's take a closer look at who is primarily on these discussion boards.

I am someone that is looking out for her family, and I have also lived in other parts of the United States and around the world.

Some folks on here have not.

It's fine if you don't agree with me, however, since City-Data is primarily a tool for those that are moving, I would hope that you would be respectful to those that actually come on here to get that information. Whether they choose to believe it or not, that's up to them.

Online discussions can be very interesting, but at the end of the day City-Data is not my entire life. For some others out there, it is, and that's why you see some of the responses that you see on here.

What I am referring to is if someone doesn't agree with you, you go off the deep end.

If this doesn't apply to you, then don't worry about it.

But if someone posts something on here about their experiences with where they have lived, and you don't agree with it, that's fine.

But what is not okay is if you try to make that person feel less than for simply stating that opinion.

And believe me, I've been reading discussions on City-Data for a long time, and there is plenty of that going on.

This is not a "conspiracy theory." I am simply saying that some folks have an agenda.

I do too. My agenda is to make sure that people get an accurate representation of life in Minnesota.

Twin Cities media outlets agenda is to make sure as many people as possible move here so that they keep making money.

All I hope for everyone that uses City-Data as a tool and resources (and for whom City-Data discussion boards is not THEIR ENTIRE LIFE) then I hope that you and your family find a place to live that you truly enjoy.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times
Ok, now my brain is out and lying on the floor whimpering. I'm trying to coax it back in with YouTube puppy videos.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:22 AM

701 posts, read 1,710,020 times
Basically, the original post boils down to this:

1. Minneapolis (like every other place) tries to present it's best to the outside world.
2. Media outlets report on positive stuff (and negative) in an effort to stay in business (and distribute information)
3. News/info sources love to use eye-catching words like "outraged, firestorm, best/worst/top 10" to support #2 above
4. The OP is unhappy and wants others to avoid being unhappy

So:
1. Read a variety of news sources and think for yourself; a city isn't going to publish a list of "10 reasons you shouldn't live here"
2. Use common sense; everyone is different, therefore not everyone will enjoy living in/visiting any specific place. Realize that everyone experiences things differently so "an accurate representation" is almost completely subjective (for example, if you made me live in Woodbury I would absolutely hate it and therefore hate Minnesota, snow, people, life, etc., but, I have friends in Woodbury that think it's the best place ever. We still manage to be friends.)

Just to not fall into the OPs bucket of 'typical forum members'--I am not a native Minnesotan, nor are any of my family members. City-Data is a minuscule part of my life, but I do enjoy the discussion and even the occasional drama.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Thank you MnMomma. This was exactly the point I was trying to make.
I would also be nice to have more women on these discussion boards because we
certainly need a variety of perspectives.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 AM

871 posts, read 1,089,321 times
Most reports you see that rate Minneapolis/St. Paul highly in various areas do not originate from local media sources and do not have a financial motivation to make the Twin Cities look better. They're done by national media outfits that decide what metrics they would like to measure various municipalities by and naturally some choose better metrics than others. Though it is a fact that the Twin Cities do well by many metrics, that is not the same as "it would be great for all people and all people will be happy here".

Cities rarely push top 10 lists of their own, but their social media outlets - like local government Facebook pages - might tout studies or surveys that show them in a good light. There's nothing wrong with that but it's pretty much common sense that they'd only shine light on positives.

Nobody went off the deep end...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul