Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:59 PM

267 posts, read 618,871 times

Advertisements

I too have noticed a ton of Somalians for a city this size. Obviously cedar-riverside is their main neighborhood, but I also see large numbers near powderhorn and several of those neighborhoods. And then in many areas in large groups in the suburbs (specific apartment complexes?). NE Metro suburbs (mainly Maplewood and Little Canada) are known for a large presence of Hmong refugees.

Also, tangentially related, but I don't want to start an entire new thread. As a (sadly) somewhat frequent (but not anymore) goer to certain downtown clubs, around the later parts of this summer, I have noticed a dramatic increase in the number of homeless/vagrants wandering around on the streets in that general area, from around 11th and hennepin parking lots area all the way up to around by the gay 90s. Moreso than the previous two summers I've seen. They haven't caused me or anyone I know problems (yet), but I have also seen tons of scuffles between bar security and these random vagrants trying to start something. Hasn't the job market (even at retail/restaurant level) been improving a lot? Or what specifically is going on in 2018 that's drawn all this? I hear for example several years ago we had migrants after Chicago tore down some of their public housing.

And also, as one commenter mentioned, yes, there are many liberals here who love to virtue signal and brag that we're so welcoming of so many refugees, whether they themselves do anything to help out or not.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:55 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
I too have noticed a ton of Somalians for a city this size. Obviously cedar-riverside is their main neighborhood, but I also see large numbers near powderhorn and several of those neighborhoods. And then in many areas in large groups in the suburbs (specific apartment complexes?). NE Metro suburbs (mainly Maplewood and Little Canada) are known for a large presence of Hmong refugees.

Also, tangentially related, but I don't want to start an entire new thread. As a (sadly) somewhat frequent (but not anymore) goer to certain downtown clubs, around the later parts of this summer, I have noticed a dramatic increase in the number of homeless/vagrants wandering around on the streets in that general area, from around 11th and hennepin parking lots area all the way up to around by the gay 90s. Moreso than the previous two summers I've seen. They haven't caused me or anyone I know problems (yet), but I have also seen tons of scuffles between bar security and these random vagrants trying to start something. Hasn't the job market (even at retail/restaurant level) been improving a lot? Or what specifically is going on in 2018 that's drawn all this? I hear for example several years ago we had migrants after Chicago tore down some of their public housing.

And also, as one commenter mentioned, yes, there are many liberals here who love to virtue signal and brag that we're so welcoming of so many refugees, whether they themselves do anything to help out or not.
How would you say the Somali population is worsening things in Minneapolis? Just curious.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
My girlfriend came over from Kenya 10 years ago via some lottery. They ended up here because their sponsor was here. She's now a citizen.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:26 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I like that they cancel out the red-neck vote
Support of foreign immigration to artificially inflate the liberal vote, when childbirth rates of the native population would not otherwise do so, seems to be an admitted motivation for support of directed immigrant settlement in Minnesota.

Such tactics may feel good, but exploitation of immigrants for personal political ends does not do them any favors.

You are painting a political target on their back as they arrive. I don't think that they checked the "use me as a political tool" box when they were applying for refugee status.

In addition, such tactics work toward lowering trust, further than it already is, between people in the same community of differing political orientations.

There are community costs to refugee resettlement. Its not all a bed of roses. This is undeniable.

To demand an incursion of these costs, because you are scared that you might be outnumbered at the ballot box, is anti-community and borderline anti-democratic.

If you lose a vote, then you lose a vote. That's how democracy works.

Have a child and raise him / her to think like you. Use the natural community tool available to everyone, not just one party because of the natural out-group interests of all immigrants that liberal policies cater to.

You are essentially looking to replace community members, or at least their political power, with outsiders. Is this how you build a healthy, trusting community?

No, its how you create a community with opposite characteristics. If you want to experience this type of low trust community, they exist all over the United States. Try Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Atlanta to start. You don't have to recreate it in Minnesota.

Inviting foreign elements to "cancel" the votes of your fellow community members, at some greater cost to everyone, well exceeds broader social expectations for fair play in a shared democracy.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:10 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Support of foreign immigration to artificially inflate the liberal vote, when childbirth rates of the native population would not otherwise do so, seems to be an admitted motivation for support of directed immigrant settlement in Minnesota....
Inviting foreign elements to "cancel" the votes of your fellow community members, at some greater cost to everyone, well exceeds broader social expectations for fair play in a shared democracy.
If only the post you were responding to wasn't tongue-in-cheek.

Humor is a difficult concept.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:22 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I did notice quite a diverse group of people from around the world stopping by MSP. Is there a proactive movement in the local government to sponsor them vs other cities?

https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/1...ugee-cutbacks/
More or less, yes. These groups that pawn themselves as "religious" (LSS, CC - who aren't even SLIGHTLY religious) are basically planted here. They aren't in any way "Lutheran" or "Catholic". They are filled with atheistic, hostile-to religion people.

It's disturbing that the local citizens have no say in a UN and Federal government agenda that the majority of Americans don't want anything to do with.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I like that they cancel out the red-neck vote
If you think there aren't black and Asian and Latino "red necks"...how incredibly naive you are.

I took the City bus for a while here in the cities, and do you want to guess what the mother-only flock of children I would many times see while getting on bus looked like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
How would you say the Somali population is worsening things in Minneapolis? Just curious.

You obviously don't work (or live around) Minneapolis.

I think some of you people haven't seen a person of color in your entire lives, but like to say how such-and-such people who have a less-regressive view than yours are monsters.

Last edited by Kavalier; 10-12-2018 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul