Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 01:41 PM

428 posts, read 809,349 times

Advertisements

How many months would you say comprises "winter" (snow on ground, daily highs below 50) in the Twin Cities, particularly southern suburbs like Apple Valley? I lived in Saint Paul 30 years ago but have been in Duluth MN since then and with climate change I am wondering what the length of winter feels like now in the Twin Cities? Here in Duluth winter is easily 6 months; when I lived in St Paul if I remember right I think winter felt like about 4 months. I want out of this frozen tundra up here in Duluth, but I could manage 4 months of winter I think; 6 months is really hard psychologically. Have thought of moving more south like TN but I am not fond of the notion of poisonous snakes, having lived in Minnesota my entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 02:14 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Old 09-10-2019, 02:18 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Long answer: The DNR compiles all that data. It’s going to vary from year to year, especially how long snow is on the ground. If we have a late heavy snow followed by a cold snap, we’ll have a late spring.

The length of winter is not going to vary in the Twin Cities metro area. Spring doesn’t come earlier in Apple Valley vs. Lino Lakes.

And weather is not the same as climate. There is not going be a difference that you can notice due to climate change. Our weather varies a great deal from year to year but it’s all well within historical norms.

Short answer: At least four months minimum (Dec-Mar) but almost always longer (add on Nov and/or Apr.)

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/...1-01&edate=por

Old 09-10-2019, 03:06 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Have thought of moving more south like TN but I am not fond of the notion of poisonous snakes, having lived in Minnesota my entire life.
I've seen four rattlesnakes in my life. One was in southern Minnesota.

Just sayin'...

Old 09-10-2019, 03:50 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
I was in Ely two falls ago (mid Nov) and there was a foot of snow on the ground and was 8 degrees when I left. Drove to Silver Bay where there was an inch on the ground. Few hours later I was in Mpls and it was 65-70 degrees and grass was green and I was out cutting the next day. I've never experienced something like here before.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
It all depends what you consider winter. For me personally, that’s anything below 20 degrees because then I can’t go for a walk with my baby and dog. So generally that entails some of December, January, February, March. That’s four months. I can still go for walks into December and even some days in February and for sure in March but rarely January.

ETA: Below 50 degrees would include November through March. That’s five months minimally.

Last edited by Minntoaz; 09-10-2019 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Read original post after posting

Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I want out of this frozen tundra up here in Duluth
And Apple Valley is the solution?

How do I break this to him?

Old 09-11-2019, 05:46 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Yes, given your criteria, I'd say Nov-Mar at a minimum (5 mo), and sometimes portions of Oct. and Apr can certainly belong to winter as well.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
The OP does know that the southern suburbs aren't really in that much of a different climate zone from Minneapolis proper, right? I mean, I lived in Minneapolis for 37 years and had a friend who lived in Apple Valley, and spring didn't come any sooner for her than for me.

Five months, minimum.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
NOAA keeps stats on what you are looking for ("days with snow on ground, daily highs below 50"). Looking there, there is a ton of information but looks like you would need to create your own reports (it is an amazing amount of information and some great tools to sort and compare data).

The Minnesota DNR has some good stuff, too (https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/...al/annual.html).

Though I am not sure "days with snow on the ground, daily highs below 50" measure works, simply because I recall years recently when the first snow accumulation did not hit until late December though daily highs were below 50 as much as a month before then.

This might be of interest, as well ... "... an average of 16 fewer days from the first frost to the last, and about 12 days less of ice cover on the state’s lakes" in an article last winter citing NOAA stats:

https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/2...ons-data-show/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul