Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 04:42 PM

35 posts, read 46,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirarose View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. After we sold our MInneapolis place we rented in west Edina for a while. It was a terrific place to dip our toes in the suburbs, and it taught us that we really wanted to be closer to the city.

We bought in Morningside, Edina, close to Mpls and SLP. We love the location - the walkability and amenities - but most of all we are BLOWN AWAY by the schools. Compared to Minneapolis Public Schools, Edina Public Schools are a gift. A Gift.

Our house is smaller than we'd like - we miss our brick colonial and our 2-car garage - but knowing that our kids are getting a top-notch education, and that the police will respond if we call them...that's priceless. That's not to say that the odd 3,500 square foot listing in Plymouth doesn't make me drool, but we can live with it ������
We moved into Edina from out of state over 12 years ago, also moving into a modest home(yes, they do exist in Edina). Zero regrets. School was one of our biggest concerns, but we also noticed that the property taxes were significantly less in Edina compared to MPLS, yet the services were better. The schools are not perfect, but they have adequately prepared our children for college. If your kids are interested in challenging themselves in school, they will not be held back, and will also have peers to compete with, and measure themselves by.

My kids are visible minorities, btw. They have felt comfortable here.

I have found that there is a mix of political views in Edina. The schools, especially the HS leans a bit too far left at times for us(we are left of center, with the operative word being center), but it's relatively harmless. I have made my voice heard a couple of times to those in the HS that I want my children to be taught how to think, not what to think.

Good luck in your new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 02:51 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Sparrow View Post
Hi Philly,

Do you care to elaborate on what you mean by EP's "own set of problems"? I'm considering purchasing a home there, but I'm slightly concerned about the possibility of encountering racism. I'm Hispanic, professional, and a considerate and quiet person. I'd like to avoid setting roots in a place where I may be overtly unwelcome or worried about my safety.
Hyperbole. I don’t think there is any reason for you to fear for your safety. If you’re a law abiding decent person you are welcome anywhere no matter your race. I’ve lived here in the metro area all my life, went to 10 Minneapolis public schools and 2 suburban, in good areas and bad. I personally know of no one that had ever been unwelcome or harassed because of their race. Welcome.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Hyperbole. I don’t think there is any reason for you to fear for your safety. If you’re a law abiding decent person you are welcome anywhere no matter your race. I’ve lived here in the metro area all my life, went to 10 Minneapolis public schools and 2 suburban, in good areas and bad. I personally know of no one that had ever been unwelcome or harassed because of their race. Welcome.
This. All law abiding citizens lives matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul