Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 07:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times

Advertisements

What a strange post for the Minneapolis/St Paul forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 08:13 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
I would seal the money in 4" or 6" diameter PVC tubing and glue end caps onto it. I think that would be pretty waterproof. I have no clue if it would be necessary to put a dessicant in the tubing, but it can't hurt.

Next I would put the PVC tubing in a Kayak bag. That should make it 100% waterproof.

Then I would put the Kayak bag in a very sturdy plastic box, that should keep the Kayak bag from being punctured.

With no metal utilized, nobody could find the money with a metal detector. Assumes there is no gold within. If you are burying gold that way, then a metal detector could find it. If you are just burying paper currency, it should be undetectable.

Also, it would be easily lost if you forgot where you buried it. Unless you toss in an apple air tag, but that then becomes traceable all by itself, until the battery dies.

FWIW, you could probably just bury the sealed PVC tube by itself and be good to go. It should be both durable and waterproof. That said, with such a sum of money, I would be pretty anal about it and want the entire system just to be sure it was there and intact when I went back for it. A big box would also make it easier for me to find while digging up than a smaller PVC tube.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:59 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post
Before burying your money, make photo copies (front and back) of each bill and hide these under your mattress. If something happens to the originals, you can bring the photo copies to a police station and by law, they have to reimburse you for your original bills.
If this is for real, who says they have to reimburse you? And why would they? If somebody took your autographed Mickey Mantle baseball card, the popo isn't gonna replace it just becasue you have a picture of it.

If you 'got me' here, then never mind!

Old 05-27-2022, 04:06 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
After you decide on a burial method, note the GPS coordinates. Buy a lottery ticket with the numbers. Ask you friend Walt to hold on to it for you.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:08 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
We have a fully fenced backyard with plenty of shade and big oak trees, patrolled 24/7 by a 60 lbs male Airedale. I have the tools to dig and I can help you with the work. Bring it by, just send a PM first to make sure we didn't leave the house for pizza. Or you can wait if it's really urgent. The closest neighbor is 200 feet from us, and we can always tell them we are planting a lemon tree, just in case if they have binoculars. Make sure to bring the tree, the 5-gallon size. Home Depot in Chico has a bunch. I'll keep the lemons, sorry.

If we must move in a hurry I'll dig it up and send you a postcard with the picture of the Golden Gate bridge. Any postcard you get without that bridge is pure FBI trick, don't fall for it.

Last edited by mgforshort; 05-27-2022 at 05:07 PM..

Old 05-29-2022, 09:05 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
For those that don't realize it: 55K in cash is 5.5 bank envelopes filled with $100 bills. Smaller than the size of two bricks stacked.

PVC pipe would be likely the easiest but I would put the money in ziplock bags first then inside the tube. A 2 ft piece of 2 inch would do it

Old 06-01-2022, 12:47 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
For those that don't realize it: 55K in cash is 5.5 bank envelopes filled with $100 bills. Smaller than the size of two bricks stacked.

PVC pipe would be likely the easiest but I would put the money in ziplock bags first then inside the tube. A 2 ft piece of 2 inch would do it
Just to be sure, and I've done it, put money in a ziploc bag, then put in in another ziploc bag, and then into an airtight container. I did that one time.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:00 PM

189 posts, read 309,203 times
The PVC pipe and ziplock bags as described in earlier posts. Saw a story on TV about a pilot / drug smuggler who kept his excess cash this way and it survived fine.

May addition, and maybe he did this as well and just didn't mention it, would be to bury a large chunk of scrap metal (old tire iron or car jack easily obtained from a junkyard) near the PVC pipe so you could find it later with a cheap toy metal detector.

Also, bury it someplace you can easily and discretely access at any time of day or night.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:51 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Good how-to article on pvc vaults.

https://wawanghunting.com/2015/03/25...ault-from-pvc/

Old 06-06-2022, 09:56 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Dry it really well before you seal it. Bury a test batch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul