Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 03:36 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times

Advertisements

Hello, fellow C-Ders. My wife just got an offer for a teaching position at the Minneapolis campus of UMN and we are going to be looking to relocate around early August. We currently live in Ann Arbor, MI. I've been to Minneapolis once, she has never been, but conceptually we have always liked the city from afar (and second-hand - I know plenty of people who moved there for jobs with General Mills, Target, Cargill, etc. after MBAs and loved it).

I've already done a bit of independent research (can't post links here, but a site called 5 Safe Affordable Neighborhoods in Minneapolis kind of kicked me off), but wanted to ask for the collective wisdom of the forum to see if I can't narrow our search down to a few neighborhoods before flying out in person to look at specific housing. We're looking to rent for the first year and then, if all goes well, will see what the market looks like in terms of buying a place. Our basic requirements are:

Budget: $2K or under.
Size: At least 2 bedrooms (2 and a den or 3 is ideal), 1.5 bathrooms (type of housing we are pretty flexible on).
Location: Because I work from home, her job takes precedence above all, so I want to be able to make sure she's got a relatively easy task of getting to the Uni in her first year. We have only three requirements - easy access to UMN (either driving, public transport or a combination of the two), safety and at least a relative lack of noise. We like taking evening walks, so more of a suburban setting would probably be better than living in the middle of University Ave. It would be nice if there were amenities such as grocery stores (Trader Joe's is a particular favorite of ours) within walking distance, but that's not a hard requirement.

Appreciate any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 05:23 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
St Anthony or St Anthony Park would be a good start. Both have a shorter downtown, Main type street (Como for St Anthony Park and Johnson/29th..technically NE Mpls but nextdoor to St Anthony). The three Trader Joe’s are not next to those towns, so driving to them would way to go. I can’t recall if Instacart delivers Trader Joe’s or not?

Avoid Dinkytown and Marcy-Holmes areas next to campus. A friend had constant crime problems in Marcy Holmes area, bad enough she broke her lease early to move out. St Anthony and Main is making the news constantly with crime around Stone Arch Bridge. Surdyk’s was shot up few days ago also. Go on YouTube for downtown 4th of July mayhem also from a few days ago.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:38 AM

Instacart does not deliver Trader Joe's, but, like I said, that's not super important. I think St. Anthony (one of them) was on the list of that website I referenced in the OP, as well. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rentals there, though...

Maybe this will help narrow it down: how about anything adjacent to the light rail lines?

Old 07-07-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Instacart does not deliver Trader Joe's, but, like I said, that's not super important. I think St. Anthony (one of them) was on the list of that website I referenced in the OP, as well. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rentals there, though...

Maybe this will help narrow it down: how about anything adjacent to the light rail lines?
There’s a lot of building going on where the light rail crosses hwy 280 on both sides. There’s a giant newer complexes on Franklin just west of where it crosses hwy 280. Rentals are going in a block north of the light rail on University east of 280. Plus St Anthony Park isn’t far away. I wouldn’t want to live where there’s a light rail stop though and each block going east on University from Menards gets slightly worse.

If you want a walkable nice area and can maybe find rentals within your budget, 50th and France in Edina. I don’t know how far from it would fall in your budget, but drive is further.

Old 07-07-2022, 01:22 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
I haven't been back for a few years but what's happening with the old ford plant site? can anyone chime in?

what about prospect park neighborhood or Seward area closer to the river? not sure about apartment availability in prospect park.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:27 PM

The old Ford site would be worth looking into also. Highland is very walkable area near it. The scenic drive to the U on East River Road is awesome, full multi million dollar homes.

There’s tons of apartments going at old Ford plant, plus St Thomas bought a corner to build an ice arena and softball fields. To the OP, St Thomas is a well known locally higher end university who was forced to become D1 in sports because they whooped/embarrassed everyone in their conference. The conference voted and kicked them out. The hockey team can now play Gophers and Michigan, etc…

Old 07-08-2022, 12:54 PM

47 posts, read 29,189 times
Look at the Macalester-Groveland and Highland Park neighborhoods.

Many U of M employees reside there for the very reasons you seek.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:22 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Hello, fellow C-Ders. My wife just got an offer for a teaching position at the Minneapolis campus of UMN and we are going to be looking to relocate around early August. We currently live in Ann Arbor, MI. I've been to Minneapolis once, she has never been, but conceptually we have always liked the city from afar (and second-hand - I know plenty of people who moved there for jobs with General Mills, Target, Cargill, etc. after MBAs and loved it).

I've already done a bit of independent research (can't post links here, but a site called 5 Safe Affordable Neighborhoods in Minneapolis kind of kicked me off), but wanted to ask for the collective wisdom of the forum to see if I can't narrow our search down to a few neighborhoods before flying out in person to look at specific housing. We're looking to rent for the first year and then, if all goes well, will see what the market looks like in terms of buying a place. Our basic requirements are:

Budget: $2K or under.
Size: At least 2 bedrooms (2 and a den or 3 is ideal), 1.5 bathrooms (type of housing we are pretty flexible on).
Location: Because I work from home, her job takes precedence above all, so I want to be able to make sure she's got a relatively easy task of getting to the Uni in her first year. We have only three requirements - easy access to UMN (either driving, public transport or a combination of the two), safety and at least a relative lack of noise. We like taking evening walks, so more of a suburban setting would probably be better than living in the middle of University Ave. It would be nice if there were amenities such as grocery stores (Trader Joe's is a particular favorite of ours) within walking distance, but that's not a hard requirement.

Appreciate any and all help!

East Bank, West Bank or St. Paul campus?

Old 07-08-2022, 02:20 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
East Bank, West Bank or St. Paul campus?

OP says Minneapolis but doesn't say if east or west bank. although not for sure odds would put it at east bank, yes?

Old 07-08-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
OP says Minneapolis but doesn't say if east or west bank. although not for sure odds would put it at east bank, yes?
Yes, East Bank. Sorry, still coming to grips with the local terminology.

Appreciate all the suggestions. Will take a look at all the neighborhoods mentioned, most likely towards the end of July (wife’s appointment starts in late August) with a view of coming out to look at housing in the first or second week of August with the move shortly thereafter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul