Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 11,408 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be relocating from Milwaukee this winter and just found this board. Very helpful information, but a lot of it seems to be focused on Minneapolis.

Anyway, I'm looking to move to St. Paul and wonder how the Highland Park, Mac-Groveland, and Cathedral Hill areas stack up in terms of safety and walkability. Specifically, I am looking at places to rent near West 7th and Montreal, Dale and Marshall, and one by Macalester College. I've looked at the crime maps and they all basically get the same "score" but I'm looking more for feel/perception. I know that Mac-Groveland has a great reputation, for example, but do I need to worry about the drunken college-kid element around the bar areas? And I read something here about West 7th being a little sketchy. Are the areas of Highland Park close to West 7th of concern?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Yes, the West 7th area is not very nice. Look closer to Cleveland or around the colleges for better areas in Highland Park. I think you will find there are 'college' bars and bars for the rest of the people there so that won't be an issue.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 AM

214 posts, read 691,547 times
These areas would be my choice if I were able to live life over again. West 7th has a lot of character, and you will need to see and judge for yourself. Personally, I would not be afraid of it in its entirety.

It would be great to have a 3rd floor walk-up in one of the old mansions on Summit Avenue, as a friend of mine did years ago. To look out the window was like being in treehouse. Take advantage of something like this.

I also love the old railroad style apartments of Grand Avenue. Only problems with them are no garage, and some of them have thin interior walls.

Yes, select something in this area for your base and have a good, good life!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:01 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaS View Post
Hi, I will be relocating from Milwaukee this winter and just found this board. Very helpful information, but a lot of it seems to be focused on Minneapolis.

Anyway, I'm looking to move to St. Paul and wonder how the Highland Park, Mac-Groveland, and Cathedral Hill areas stack up in terms of safety and walkability. Specifically, I am looking at places to rent near West 7th and Montreal, Dale and Marshall, and one by Macalester College. I've looked at the crime maps and they all basically get the same "score" but I'm looking more for feel/perception. I know that Mac-Groveland has a great reputation, for example, but do I need to worry about the drunken college-kid element around the bar areas? And I read something here about West 7th being a little sketchy. Are the areas of Highland Park close to West 7th of concern?

Thanks.
West 7th and Montreal would be kind of creepy after dark. I lived in Highland Park for 5 years and loved it, however I was living about 3 blocks from the village. It was awesome to walk to the Barnes & Noble, grocery store, bank, restaurants, Starbucks etc when living that close to the "village"

Cathedral Hill is really nice too. Tons of charm in the architecture over there, plus there are restaurants etc to walk to.

Dale & Marshall has nice architecture and charm too, however there are some rougher buildings right across from the St Paul College ( about 1/2 mile east of Dale / Marshall). Probably not a great area to be walking alone at night ( by the college).

If you get an apartment close to Grand, I think you would be happy too. Tons of amenities, restaurants etc.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:15 AM

77 posts, read 378,014 times
There are a lot of nice places along Grand Avenue between Cleveland and Dale. We just moved into the Grand and Lexington Area and we really like it!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 PM

52 posts, read 209,610 times
StellaS,

You're on the right track. Anywhere in Highland Park or Mac/Groveland should be just fine. Avoid West 7th, not because it's dangerous, but mainly because it's a dull, lackluster area. In contrast, Highland Park & Mac/Grovelandare are anything but. Lots of character and highly walkable. Good locales for getting to other parts of the Twin Cities also; fairly centralized.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:19 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
I lived in Highland for 5 years just off Cleveland Ave and I loved it. It has a great small town feel altho very close to either city centre and practically everything is within walking distance. I'm sure there were some crime incidents but I never felt unsafe walking around Highland after dark.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 PM

Thank you very much for the advice!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 PM

Sorry, I thought I was done but I have one more question - are any areas of Summit-University considered safe/similar in feel as Summit Hill? I just found another place near Victoria and Laurel, which seems like a nice neighborhood with a lot of trees and older historical houses, but the "crime maps" worry me somewhat. Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 PM

52 posts, read 209,610 times
StellaS,

Victoria and Laurel in St. Paul is near a transition zone from quite lovely areas to a little more rough. Go a few blocks north of there, and then it gets real rough. Every place in the U.S. has these transition areas, so don't be alarmed. Just move to that specific location, which is actually OK, or a little south/southwest of it and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul