Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 AM

7 posts, read 28,734 times

Advertisements

I will be starting a new position as an Assistant Professor at the U in August. I'm looking for help on finding a diverse area to move to. I'm Af. American, my husband is Caucasian, and we have a 16 month old daughter. We currently live in a suburb of Columbus Ohio which is very diverse. In fact, in reading demographic data on MN, I realized that the population of African Americans in Columbus Ohio alone is almost equal to the entire state of MN! I'm shocked, and really worried about fitting in and feeling comfortable. I'm educated, have lived in suburbs all my life, and want to find someplace where my husband and I can go to dinner or to the grocery store without being stared at, and where our daughter will be able to interact with people who look like her mommy as well as other racial and ethnic groups. Any help? Suggestions? Low crime, good schools, diverse but safe communities --- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,303 times
I can't speak for the entire metro area since I have been in the northern suburbs my entire life, but I really don't think you'd have a problem in too many of the suburbs. The northern suburbs are pretty diverse and accepting as far as I can tell. My nephew (white) married an Af. American way back in the early 80's. They have lived in the northern suburbs their entire married life, and have not felt any different than anyone else. Their children have many, many friends; have done quite well in school; and both were star athletes. Their 'heritage' has never been an issue. By northern suburbs I mean, Ham Lake, Andover, Lino Lakes, Circle Pines, Coon Rapids, Blaine. Schools are good in those areas, crime rate is low. They are safe suburbs. Fridley is also a very diverse suburb, which is probably a little closer to where you will be working. Don't be worried about moving here, most people don't see a black person and a white person, they see a couple of people. I would definitely stay away from north Minneapolis, and Brooklyn Park. They seem to have an awful high crime rate. My suggestion to you is find a good realtor in the metro area, explain your situation and concerns, and they would be more than happy to help you find a safe neighborhood where you would feel comfortable. (check with the U of M and see if they can suggest a realtor for you, just a thought) Good luck to you, and welcome to Minnesota!!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:49 PM

34 posts, read 142,792 times
Why not live in the city? Minneapolis and St. Paul proper are definetely the most diverse and they have some really great neighborhoods. At least in Minneapolis and St. Paul, I really don't think you should have to worry. I think we are a pretty open minded place.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
We live in Rosemount and for a Minnesota suburb it is pretty diverse. I don't think you would have any issues in any of the southern suburbs either. Minnesotans are pretty open minded on the whole.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:43 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Rosemount, MN = 92.78% White, 2.03% African American...in other words, you probably won't wanna live there.

For tolerable levels of diversity check out Minneapolis, St. Paul, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Robinsdale, Columbia Heights.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Rosemount, MN = 92.78% White, 2.03% African American...in other words, you probably won't wanna live there.

For tolerable levels of diversity check out Minneapolis, St. Paul, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Robinsdale, Columbia Heights.

She also mentioned she wanted good schools and if you want the best schools, south and west suburbs would be the best. Like I said earlier, Minnesota on the whole is pretty open minded and for the most part in the suburbs you won't really encounter any issues, not to say that there are not individuals who are less educated and have some issues themselves.

I look at the kids' school and while it isn't close to 50-50 by any means, the schools seem a little more diverse then what your statistics show. I know in the marching band there are several minority students and there are NO issues with the kids at all. There are also several families in town with a black parent and a white parent and again, no issues.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 28,734 times
Thank you for the information. I am not averse to living in the cities themselves, but not knowing the area well, I just tend to fall back on what I know of surburban life. I've been reading interesting things about a development called Rivers Crossing in St. Paul. Any thoughts?

Old 04-26-2007, 03:14 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
The far out suburbs are nice and certainly open minded, but they are certainly not diverse. There won't be "issues" but you would stick out. Some of the innner suburbs are just as nice and would be slkightly more diverse (Saint Louis Park is the best example, also look at Blmgton, Brooklyns, Robbinsdale, etc.) I don't know how urban you want to live. Parts of Southwest Mpls. have wonderful schools and parks. Linden Hills has myriad families. Better and nicer than alot of suburbs. Mostly built in the 20's, close to the city lakes. Fairly expensive. I would look there for Mpls. Highland Park in Saint Paul is very similar. (The general area of river xings) Northeast Mpls. is less expensive and older. More diverse, schools are worse than SW. Look at the areas around the U also. (Marcy-Holmes, Prospect Park) South High and Southwest High Schools are as diverse as ithey come and have wonderful IB programs. In Minnesota, you can open enroll a studnet if a school has extra room. You are not bound to a neighborhood. It is important to understand that Blacks are not (historically, at least,) as well integrated here as alot of places. There is nothing to fear per se. People are open minded and liberal. But a majority Black area is not a place to raise your kids.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
You may find some of the city neighborhoods closer to campus where lots of faculty families live to your liking. These would be Prospect Park (as Minnehahapolitan said) , Seward, the neigborhood bounded by Franklin, 36 Ave, Lake and the river (can't think of the name) in Mpls., and St. Anthony Park and Desnoyer Park in St. Paul. A little farther away is Macalester-Groveland in St. Paul, which is similar in nature and lots of faculty from the private colleges in St. Paul.

All have easy access to campus by car (you don't need to use the freeway!) and bus.

Not sure about River Crossings. If it's what I think it is (large new condo development where West 7th crosses the River across from Ft. Snelling?), I'm not very impressed with it. It's kind of isolated among some busy highways giving it more of a suburban feel. Once you cross the highways, you are into a rather dicey neighborhood. If you like condos, you may like the new ones on the Mpls/St Paul border at Franklin Avenue or the ones just north of Franklin by the I-94 bridge better than River Crossings. Can't remember the names, a realtor could tell you in a flash.

I second what Minnihahapolitan said about the high schools' IB programs. My daughter graduated from Highland Park's program. In addition to South and SW Highs in Mpls., St. Paul's Central High also has an IB program. All of these schools are very diverse racially and economically. When you stand in line waiting for a conference with your child's teacher, you're just as likely to stand next to an immigrant janitor or a truck driver as an MD or a PhD.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:55 PM

8 posts, read 39,871 times
I'd say St. Paul or South Minneapolis would be your better choice for "fitting" in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul