Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

We loved the Kicks, but we didn't drink. FWIW...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
If you weren't drinking, you were probably smoking. And if you weren't smoking you were probably having fun no matter what. Now-a-days it seems like nobody can have fun.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
You know why everybody LOVED the kicks and why they had such a great reputation in the TC? Because they allowed drinking in and around the Stadium. Something some Lefty Minnesotan lawmakers and regulaters need to look at. I was surprised that they'll actually allow people to drink in Target Field. I bet if the Vikes got a new stadium the lefties would pass a ordinance or law saying that no "tailgaiting" can be done within 1 mile of the stadium... Just like in 3 years after the luster of TCF dulls out, it will be a stadium filled with more alumni than Students..GREAT COLLEGE ATMOSPHERE U OF M! Just right up there in the ranks of UNC, MICHIGAN, and others.

Just like the left wacko who opposed any high rises over 15 stories near uptown. What a crock. 15th largest metro in the USA already struggling with sprawl issues--- "No, let's not build up, where land is free-lets build out!"
What does anything have to do with lefties? No pro stadiums would ever consider taking away alcohol first of all. Second of all, the U did it partially because of those idiot Iowans that humped in a bathroom stall against the Gophers last year. That kind of stuff can ruin college reputations. You can also blame all the other college football stadiums that banned liquor way before we did because that's another reason we decided to go that route.

Side note: As I recall it was a righty who vetoed a bill that would legalize Marijuana in the state of Minnesota...a bill which was brought through by a bunch of lefties, if I do recall. So boo to the righties.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
If you weren't drinking, you were probably smoking. And if you weren't smoking you were probably having fun no matter what. Now-a-days it seems like nobody can have fun.
We certainly had fun. And we still do.

Part of the secret to having fun is not caring so much about what other people think.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
What does anything have to do with lefties? No pro stadiums would ever consider taking away alcohol first of all. Second of all, the U did it partially because of those idiot Iowans that humped in a bathroom stall against the Gophers last year. That kind of stuff can ruin college reputations. You can also blame all the other college football stadiums that banned liquor way before we did because that's another reason we decided to go that route.

Side note: As I recall it was a righty who vetoed a bill that would legalize Marijuana in the state of Minnesota...a bill which was brought through by a bunch of lefties, if I do recall. So boo to the righties.

I don't really think that the Iowan mess was the full reason behind the U's decision not to serve alcohol. It's the best idea...But there is a fine line in trying to protect people and stopping people from having fun..

My mom and I had this discussion not too long ago...She said when she grew up they had leaded paint, drove bikes without helmets, drank water from hoses, legally drank when she was 19, and didnt even have seat belts in her first 2 vehicles...

The U is going to saddened when they have this nice stadium and no college atmosphere, kids will just stick to drinking inside at parties

Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
I don't really think that the Iowan mess was the full reason behind the U's decision not to serve alcohol.
Go back to my post and read it carefully. I didn't say full reason, I said "partially."

Going back to the blame leftys comment, I pulled this from one of the original articles about the decision:

Lawmakers and Gov. Tim Pawlenty hemmed the university in by attaching conditions to a liquor license for the football stadium. They said the school could sell alcohol stadium-wide or not at all. They also blocked the university from serving free alcohol to fans in premium seating areas, such as luxury boxes and club rooms.

Minnesota may ban booze at campus sporting events - Big Ten Network (http://www.bigtennetwork.com/sports/football/story.asp?list_id=1&story_id=3282849 - broken link)

So there you go, it was your righty governor along with the other lawmakers who intervened.

Quote:
The U is going to saddened when they have this nice stadium and no college atmosphere, kids will just stick to drinking inside at parties
This isn't the end of the world for college students who want to party, they can drink plenty before and after the game, and nobody is going to stop them from ducking out at half-time, downing a few, and then going back into the stadium. That's what they do at Michigan and Penn State and nobody is complaining about the lack of partying at either of those two schools.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
I don't really think that the Iowan mess was the full reason behind the U's decision not to serve alcohol. It's the best idea...But there is a fine line in trying to protect people and stopping people from having fun..

My mom and I had this discussion not too long ago...She said when she grew up they had leaded paint, drove bikes without helmets, drank water from hoses, legally drank when she was 19, and didnt even have seat belts in her first 2 vehicles...

Most colleges do NOT allow alcohol sales in their sports venues. Furthermore, check out a Gophers game at the stadium sometime: the stands are FILLED with college students. I'd say it's got a pretty good college atmosphere.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:46 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Go back to my post and read it carefully. I didn't say full reason, I said "partially."

Going back to the blame leftys comment, I pulled this from one of the original articles about the decision:

Lawmakers and Gov. Tim Pawlenty hemmed the university in by attaching conditions to a liquor license for the football stadium. They said the school could sell alcohol stadium-wide or not at all. They also blocked the university from serving free alcohol to fans in premium seating areas, such as luxury boxes and club rooms.

Minnesota may ban booze at campus sporting events - Big Ten Network (http://www.bigtennetwork.com/sports/football/story.asp?list_id=1&story_id=3282849 - broken link)

So there you go, it was your righty governor along with the other lawmakers who intervened.

This isn't the end of the world for college students who want to party, they can drink plenty before and after the game, and nobody is going to stop them from ducking out at half-time, downing a few, and then going back into the stadium. That's what they do at Michigan and Penn State and nobody is complaining about the lack of partying at either of those two schools.
That made me angry, I was going to get a suite for one game a year with some friends. But when they said no booze in the suites I said screw it. MN fun police strike again. If people want to get drunk and hump in the bathrooms thats their own business. Way to party Iowa

Old 12-13-2009, 02:52 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,808 times
Am I the only one who wouldn't want an outdoor stadium? I love the Vikings but if it was 8 for the high I don't think I'd go.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:23 PM

30 posts, read 86,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
Am I the only one who wouldn't want an outdoor stadium? I love the Vikings but if it was 8 for the high I don't think I'd go.
It depends on who the stadium is being built for. If its built for the Vikes, then I understand an outdoor stadium. If its built for the community, then it should probably be multi purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul