Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM

7 posts, read 8,196 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need all advise & info :

I got an offer to work at Faribault, MN. We are moving from Toronto, Canada. We need following info.

1. Considering I drive daily to work, what is the best place to live so that my son can have good public transit connction to go to U of MN & back(minneapolis/St paul) and good high school & district for my daughter?

2. If I come on L1 & family on L2, do I need to pay tuition fees for high scholl?

3. Is it my son (L2) have to pay more tuition fees at University? Can he work part time? Can he do voluntary or unpaid research jobs?

4. Any website to refer for transfer of credits and procedure for admission for U/G science course at U of MN

4. Any other specific added family living cost ,if coming there on L1 visa

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:13 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,158 times
Fairbault is about 50 miles from Minneapolis. You're not going to find a public transport option for your son.

Info about transferring to the U of M can be found here
Transfer Admission

Old 01-18-2010, 02:26 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
Fairbault is about 50 miles from Minneapolis. You're not going to find a public transport option for your son.

Info about transferring to the U of M can be found here
Transfer Admission
Yeah, but he could move to someplace like Lakeville and his commute would be only 25-30 miles (just a guess). For his son, I'm guessing that Lakeville has direct commuter buses to the U campus, as so many other suburbs do. Worth checking out, anyway.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:39 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Any chance your son could just live at school? I know people are willing to do long commutes, but your life would be easier if you could live closer to your work, and he'll get far more out of his school experience if he lives closer to campus. There are the dorms, of course, but lots of students get roommates, and you would both save yourself a LOT of commuting and stress if he lived closer in. Besides the academic aspect, he's going to have a tough time making friends if he's tightly tied to a commuter bus schedule (the commuter buses to the U, especially those to the suburbs, tend to be more for employees rather than students, and run mostly during rush hour).

If it's a must that you all live together I agree with Ben Around's suggestion to check the commuter buses. They go out as at least as far as Apple Valley. The problem will be that those outer routes are generally designed for park-and-ride riders, so you if you wanted your son to be able to get to and from the bus stop without you having to drop him off and pick him up you'd be pretty limited on where you could live.

I don't know about the visa details, but if he's a student he should be eligible to work.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Thanks a lot to all those replied

Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot for all replied
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul