Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:20 AM

383 posts, read 901,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
UMMMMMMMMM, after you made the post saying that you and your girlfriend call st paul volcano city because houses explode there, you lost all your credibility and I can't take you seriously. Besides, uptown is nothing like you described it as.
It's called satire. But I am kind of serious though about Uptowners being a target for muggers because they're percieved as being "rich". But hey, after all, you know more about what muggers say behind white people's backs than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:46 AM

628 posts, read 1,439,101 times
It is true. My good friend was robbed in Uptown, another friend's best friend was jumped in Uptown, a coworker's friend was jumped in Uptown and hurt so badly that she needed reconstructive surgery.

All of these these things happened 2-3 years ago, though.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:52 AM

383 posts, read 901,819 times
Toldja.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,762,094 times
Where in Uptown? And what time at night? Sometimes people use a very broad definition of "Uptown". Also, a few incidents don't mean that a neighborhood is a dangerous place. It's a busy neighborhood, has a lot of people, and sometimes people do get mugged or robbed. The same could be said of a lot of other places, including those that no one thinks of as having crime problems. Most of Uptown's muggings (not all, but most) seem to take place late at night and seem to target the bar crowd. It's an urban neighborhood; pepole are out walking on the street and sometimes they get mugged. It's not a major issue, though, and while I don't want the neighborhoods and police to just ignore the potential for crime (and they're not), this false impresssion that you're creating that somehow Uptown is some sort of dangerous neighborhood where people are getting robbed or attacked left and right is simply not true. It's really not that common. Take out the bar closing muggings around the busiest spots and the numbers go down even more. It's going to have more crime than some really quiet neighborhood with no one on the streets or not much going on, but it's not a dangerous or crime-ridden area.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
this false impresssion that you're creating that somehow Uptown is some sort of dangerous neighborhood where people are getting robbed or attacked left and right is simply not true.
Are you directing this towards me?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,762,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Are you directing this towards me?
No, it was sort of a general statement, but really it's mostly geared towards ColdRedRain. There are some muggings and it's not like its entirely crime-free (but where is, really?), but the "you will get robbed" statements and such are extremely exaggerated. Everyone is entitled to his or her personal opinion, of course, but it seems unfair to blow things way out of proportion for some potential new resident who doesn't know the area and is probably now thinking that people in Uptown are (or should be) afraid to step out of their front doors. Most people would agree that that just isn't the Uptown we know.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 03-15-2010 at 02:08 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,346,812 times
I have to agree with Uptown Urb, I've spent a lot of time in Uptown and have never felt threatened in Uptown. That said, I'm typically there in the evening hours before 10:00 pm. My sisters husband had a friend who was mugged in Uptown several years ago, but I never felt that Uptown was a dangerous place.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 PM

All of the stuff that happened to the people I know happened a couple years ago and everyone knows that the crime rate has come down an incredible amount since then.
I always thought of Uptown as an extremely safe neighborhood.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,069,787 times
I know a few people who got mugged in Waite Park, MN, but I still walk around Waite Park, and it definitely isn't a dangerous area. I even knew someone who got mugged in Annandale, MN, and I lived there for most of my life and we always left our house unlocked and everything. Just because something happens, doesn't automatically make it some extremely dangerous crime ridden dump.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 03-15-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
I don't know anyone who has personally been mugged/jumped/assaulted in Uptown or in any other Minneapolis neighborhood for that matter. I know it happens, but not to anyone I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul