Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 06:16 AM

4 posts, read 6,827 times

Advertisements

Hi -- We are a small family with a 2.5 yr old. Moving to Minneapolis from Toronto -- will be working at Univ of Minnesota at Minneapolis campus. We are looking for a place to rent for the first year of our stay there. Wondering what neighbourhoods would be the best for us. We have several constraints --it should be a safe neighbourhood, with shops and restaurants within walking distance, near public transit for commute daily to the university, and child friendly (parks, pres-schools etc.).
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:53 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Check out the St. Anthony neighborhood of St. Paul -- it's next to the St. Paul campus (there's a formal U shuttle bus, as well as city buses, connecting the Mpls and St. Paul campuses, and it's a very quick ride), and has a nice core commercial district. Lots of parks, families, and I know at least some preschools. It's very toddler friendly.

If you're looking for more bustling feel with more things to do (St. Anthony has things going on and restaurants and shops, but is more of a smaller town feel) you might want to consider Uptown; great transit to the U, lots of nice parks, easy access to the lakes, preschools, etc. My son loves watching the boats on Lake Calhoun.

There are a lot of other great neighborhoods out there that meet your basic list, too, (in Minneapolis, St. Paul, and suburbs) but I'll leave others to jump in with their own personal suggestions. Do you have any budget restrictions? Any other wish list items?

Old 05-22-2010, 09:38 AM

Default RE: Moving with toddler from Toronto

Thank you very much, uptown_urbanist! This is exactly the kind of advice that I am looking for. As far as budget is concerned, around $2000 per month, but willing to pay a bit more depending upon facilities. Uptown sounds better given what you described, but will have to check it out from the point of view of my son. Do you know if that area has ample child-care / pre-school options. Also, childrens park/ play area etc.
Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:39 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Yes, lots of preschools and parks, and you will be more than set with $2,000/month. I'm not sure which preschools or daycares have openings, but there are a number around; Grace Nursery School on 28th and Hennepin, Joyce (bilingual Spanish-English preschool) on 31st and Fremont, Grandma's House at 31st and Lyndale (daycare), and some in-home family daycares plus probably some other preschools that I can't think of off-hand (plus lots more within relatively close proximity). The area is pretty well served by playgrounds. The Walker Library has a toddler storytime during the week. It's not as family-dense as some neighborhoods, but there are still a lot of kids around (including many toddlers).

Linden Hills has fewer things (in terms of quantity) than Uptown, but is an extremely family-friendly neighborhood that would still be relatively convenient to the U; it's right by Lake Harriet, has a toystore, one of the county's best children's bookstores (the Wild Rumpus), an ice cream place, bakery, library (with kids programs), park/playground, and easy access to the lakes. You could find something nice there in your budget. A litte farther out (but not far) is the 50th and France area; it's the border of Edina and Minneapolis, and while I think it's less charming or kid-oriented than Linden Hills, it has more stuff (not a library, though.) If you were somewhere like the Fulton neighborhood of Minneapolis you'd be within walking distance to both Linden Hills and 50th and France, depending on exact location (50th itself has some other intersections with a lot of commercial activity) The area is filled to the brim with kids.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:15 PM

134 posts, read 338,831 times
In addition to St. Anthony, look at either side of the Mississippi River going south from campus.
I live in Highland Park and have a number of neighbors that bike commute to the U every day (yes, even winter!). It's a easy and safe bike commute because you can get on and stay on the bike path nearly the entire way. There are many bus options and it's easy to get to light rail from here as well. We have a very walkable neighborhood, with everything you need in Highland Village. It's very family-oriented area, with many daycare and preschool options. We have a great neighborhood public elementary as well. Although Uptown is a great option, it draws a large young crowd- especially on the weekends and Highland doesn't.
In addition to bike trails, just across the Ford Parkway bridge is a kiddie wading pool that's great on a warm summer day. The library is also right in Highland Village as well.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:32 PM

thanks a lot! great suggestions..provides me with a good starting point as I begin my search..please feel free to add more if anything else comes to mind

Old 05-25-2010, 03:22 PM

what do you guys think of "Excelsior and Grand" neighborhood (walkability, transit, for kids etc.). Showed up in my search and looked appealing at least on the face of it.
comments on the falls/pinnacle development in the st anthony area are also welcome.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 6,615 times
Default Excelsior & Grand

You can't go wrong with this area call the Highland area. You might also want to check out northeast Minneapolis. It would be an easy commute to downtown.

The Longfellow neighborhood of South Minneapolis is nice too. It is close to the river and an easy commute to the U of MN.

Have you thought about renting a home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul