Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieJD View Post
Baudette
Duluth
Walker
Remer
Bemidji
Roseau
Warrod
Grand Rapids
Hibbing
Virginia
no Ely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 05:07 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
10. St. Vincent, Minnesota....Pop. 96... minnesota - Google Maps

9. Ellsworth, Minnesota ....Pop. 517... minnesota - Google Maps

8. Ceylon, Minnesota ....Pop. 368... minnesota - Google Maps

7. Northome, Minnesota ....Pop. 205... minnesota - Google Maps

6. Vining, Minnesota ....Pop. 66... minnesota - Google Maps

5. Eitzen, Minnesota ....Pop. 230... minnesota - Google Maps

4. Climax, Minnesota .... Pop. 235... minnesota - Google Maps

3. New Auburn, Minnesota .... Pop. 501... minnesota - Google Maps

2. Clearbrook, Minnesota .... Pop. 531... minnesota - Google Maps

1. Kerrick, Minnesota .... Pop. 71.... minnesota - Google Maps

Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Rochester, Mankato, St Cloud.. just personal preference here. I like small sized cities that are within commute distance of bigger ones if needed. Would never want to live in the middle of a densely packed metropolitan area (I want to drive 10 minutes and be in open country) , and though I could tolerate living out in the sticks (Marshall) I'd rather not do that either. I prefer the driftless area topography over the flatness of the west side, but they both have their nice aspects. I prefer South and East to North and West, like Rochester. After 5 years where I work I can transfer to other 3M plants assuming they are hiring. There is one in Hutchinson, MN where we frequently send product too.. looks like a good choice too. Even better, their Cottage Grove location is in a very appealing area, outside the dense metro area with plenty of countryside nearby. I think I see it there in google maps along the Mississippi west of the gulf course. Not even in the town itself. Sweet location there.

Last edited by sholomar; 02-20-2011 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 06:54 PM

256 posts, read 664,236 times
In no particular order:

Stillwater
Red Wing
Rochester
Granite Falls
Mankato
Lanesboro
Minneapolis
St. Paul
New Ulm
Alexandria

Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM

21 posts, read 51,983 times
No particular order:

Stillwater
Redwing
Lake City
Hastings
Owatonna
Waseca
New Ulm
Grand Marais
Wabasha

Old 02-22-2011, 09:41 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Here are my "Top 10":

Metro area:
1. Minneapolis- Northside of course- favorite micro-areas of the northside that we would potentially consider "moving up" to (as in bigger house if we decided not to add on to our current home): 4100-4500 blocks of Washburn and Xerxes Ave N (Victory), blocks directly across the street from Webber Park (Webber-Camden), and the Homewood area bordering Theo Wirth Parkway (Willard-Homewood).
2. Robbinsdale- great small town feel right next to the city, great downtown area, nice people and parks.
3. St. Paul.

Outstate (and/or boderline exurban):
4. Lake City (or towns close by- esp. Old Frontenac- beautiful area/ views of Mississippi/Lake Pepin)
5. Duluth (views of Lake Superior, great city).
6. Spicer (many beautiful lakes and towns close by, close to Willmar).
7. Virginia (we took a trip out this way last year and just really liked this town).
8. Winsted (am fascinated by this thriving little town not on a major highway or railroad)- also like the neighboring towns of Waverly and Howard Lake in the same school district.
9. Bayport- enjoys the same benefits as Stillwater, but not as yuppie/pretentious.
10. Tie- Glenwood, Morris, Northfield (all are in or close by great small liberal arts universities, and nice little towns in their own right- edge to Glenwood as it's on Lake Minnewaska)

Honorable mentions to Granite Falls area and surrounding towns (Montevideo, Clara City, etc.)- have always enjoyed these towns and surrounding Minnesota River valley; Winona (beautiful town/area); and Lanesboro (same).

*Has anyone mentioned any of the suburbs that have been high up on the "best places to live" lists in recent years?

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 02-22-2011 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Conspicuous in their absence: Eden Prairie, Chaska, Chanhassen...

Eden Prairie has that nice bluff area, which IMO is wasted by planting a series of chain stores and ugly corporate office buildings thereon. Too bad...

Chaska never had much going for it - but it still has a bit of local character in the old downtown. The town fathers may be able to hold onto that in the face of developer cash... just like pigs will learn to fly.

I'd have put Chanhassen on the "best of" list 25 years ago, but thanks to a series of shortsighted decisions by the town bosses, that beautiful little town was converted into yet another ugly vinylville/industrial park/strip mall. Way to go, Chan!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM

150 posts, read 405,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
no Ely?
How could I forget Ely? Wolf Center and Hockey Hall of Fame?

Susie

Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
*Has anyone mentioned any of the suburbs that have been high up on the "best places to live" lists in recent years?
Doesn't really look like it, well I mentioned Rochester(obviously not a suburb lol) used to be in Money Magazine a lot. Found this at Wikipedia: The city had long been a fixture on Money magazine's "Best Places to Live" index, and was ranked number 67 on the 2006 list, and in the top 3, including number one multiple times, from 1993-1997

Mankato(again not a suburb :P) does have quite a bit of awards, I have mentioned it, and Kazoopilot, can't remember if anyone else did.
City of Mankato, Minnesota: City of Mankato Awards

But I don't think Eden Prairie or Plymouth was really mentioned yet, and those were at the top of Money Magazine 2 different years, lol. Yuck, well they aren't bad, just bland and generic. I'd say Eden Prairie is better then Plymouth, but both are pretty, meh.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL2751730.html
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL2718116.html

Chaska is a very pretty town, but meh, nothing special, just my opinion, though I do think it's very pretty.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
I think those "Money" lists are out of touch with what most people want. The big burbs make the lists because of yuppie amenities, good schools and low crime. That's it. It's hard to imagine a place in this state more bland or boring than Plymouth or Eagan.

I do think there are some good Twin Cities suburbs, like St. Paul Park, Stillwater and Dayton. Those places wouldn't be my first choices, but if I had to live in the Cities for some reason those areas would be at the top of the list.

Northern Minnesota is beautiful, but I don't have much experience with that part of the state. The furthest north I've been in MN is Big Lake (lol). I was going to visit the North Shore at one point, but I had to work. I've been all over the southern 1/3 of the state though, from Winona to Beaver Creek.

Southeast Minnesota is nice -- reminds me of my (original) home state of Michigan (Minnesota is my home now). Lots of trees and lakes mixed with the farmland. My favorite towns in that part of the state are Northfield and Winona. Rochester is nice, but a little bland for my tastes.

However, my heart lies in Southern Minnesota, especially Southwest Minnesota. Anything from just west of Mankato to the SD border is almost like paradise -- idyllic towns, open skies, beautiful farmland and prairie grasses and stunning sunsets. Awesome in every way (except the blowing snow). Sometimes I think Southwest MN gets lost in the shuffle among people from other regions of the state -- they just don't think about it. It's good, in a way, as it keeps the touristy types out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota