Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 AM

538 posts, read 1,521,784 times

Advertisements

Simple, we are all Scandinavian descendants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
There seems to be a culture here of being closed off and not open with your feelings. I think this breeds emotional coldness and distance between people. I don't know whether this is a good thing, bad thing, or neutral thing, but it's certainly different from where I come from. What do you native or long-time Minnesotans think? Would you prefer to live in a place where people talked more candidly about personal matters, or is it fine living in a more reserved way?
I like the Scandinavian culture in MN. I have never once wished that the people of MN were more like Italian descendants in New Jersey or Long Island.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
I'm a quiet person, so I'm completely fine with not sharing my emotions with the world. There are plenty of Minnesotans who feel like sharing their emotions directly - I see it all the time.

I like the reserved, Scandinavian culture. The "direct" Italian-influenced attitude is a bit of a turn-off. I've watched real people from the East Coast "share their emotions" - and to my surprise, it's all exactly like Jersey Shore! It's all about getting up in someone's face for "not being real".

To say that Minnesotans are emotionally repressed might be a bit of a compliment - emotional control is a sign of maturity.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:19 PM

987 posts, read 3,818,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
Simple, we are all Scandinavian descendants.
Or at least the ones who aren't open with their feelings.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 PM

164 posts, read 256,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
To say that Minnesotans are emotionally repressed might be a bit of a compliment - emotional control is a sign of maturity.
The problem with suppressing your feelings is that you don't resolve them. They sit inside you, and you find yourself feeling angrier at others. Day by day. And then you snap.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
The problem with suppressing your feelings is that you don't resolve them. They sit inside you, and you find yourself feeling angrier at others. Day by day. And then you snap.
And shouting about how your friends aren't "being real" (something I've really seen!), a behavior seen primarily from people on the coast, seems to be quite damaging to their relationships. It seems every person who was worried about "being real" was always having problems with people because they have strained their relationships.

I don't think Minnesotans really repress their emotions. I don't need to get into a gripe about every problem I have with somebody. One can vent just as well alone or rationalize the problem with others most of the time.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM

37 posts, read 106,074 times
I think most of us think others dont really care for our feelings so we dont want to bore them or bother bringing it up

Also just wanted to say Ohio is not the most boring state to drive through. I had a great time driving through Cincinnati on my way to South Carolina and the state (like every other state) does have boring areas to drive through. Even Minnesota has a few boring areas to drive through (I-90 SW MN) (I-35 South of Owatonna)

Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,737 times
I think it's kind of hilarious how people think Minnesota is mostly Lutherans. Yes, they make up a big portion of our religion here but there are plenty of Catholics too.

Wiki

"The majority of Minnesotans are Protestants, including a significant Lutheran affiliation owing to the state's largely Northern European ethnic makeup, though Roman Catholics make up the largest single Christian denomination."

I honestly don't know anyone personally who's Lutheran. It's mostly Catholics, Evangical, and Methodist.

And also, 'GuyFromCleveland' I don't know who you think you are to analyze an entire state. I've travelled to almost every state in the U.S. but that doesn't give me the right to give my OPINION on every single thing I THINK is wrong with that particular state. Just so you know you won't be welcome here if you continue the attitude that you have. If you have problems with this state then move. Keep on being a downer and have your little pity parties, instead of getting out there and meeting all the wonderful people there are in this state. Maybe being the way you are is attracting all these people without feelings. You're probably one of the hundreds of @ssholes who move here and bash this state online but then don't have the b@lls to actually say it upfront. I've found people from other states love to put on a fake show for you. They end up looking like dumb@sses. Why do you need me to show my feelings? Cause you need entertainment? Well there are millions of better ways to get it. You seem to have some unnatural obsession with this state. It seems a lot of people do. And you get your cues from TV and Movies, so you're obviously a genius.

There I shared my feelings with you!!!

Last edited by Mandyx91; 06-15-2011 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandyx91 View Post
I think it's kind of hilarious how people think Minnesota is mostly Lutherans. Yes, they make up a big portion of our religion here but there are plenty of Catholics too.

Wiki

"The majority of Minnesotans are Protestants, including a significant Lutheran affiliation owing to the state's largely Northern European ethnic makeup, though Roman Catholics make up the largest single Christian denomination."

I honestly don't know anyone personally who's Lutheran. It's mostly Catholics, Evangical, and Methodist.
It might depend on where you live. I have heard the St. Paul side is more Catholic, but not sure if it is really true or not. The area in the suburbs where I grew up has 4 Lutheran churches out of 7 total churches. The Catholic one is the only church that compares in size to the Lutheran churches. Almost everybody that I know was raised Lutheran with the exception of a couple Catholic.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I think it would be very difficult to live for long in Minnesota and not know any Lutherans. There are Lutherans everywhere, and practically a Lutheran church on every corner! That said, Minnesotans aren't generally very talkative about their religion, so you could know someone for years and not know if they are affiliated with a specific religion or denomination. Also, while Lutherans make up a huge portion of Minnesotans, they don't attend church regularly as often as do Catholics. Ask around, and I bet you discover that there are at least a few Lutherans in your circle of friends or acquaintances, even if they only actually attend services sporadically or during holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota