Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 PM

327 posts, read 595,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaknife View Post
Funny how both of you folks from the west called Minnesota "out" there/here.

"I heard studs and chains are not allowed out there."
and: ......."looking to move back after being out here for 26 years."

The WEST, is "out there".

(Just havin' some fun.)
Hahaha :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 PM

O! I did want to ask you all something else.

I've read through the forums and it seems that you guys aren't too fond of transplants. Just curious as to how come. I'm happy to share my beautiful state with transplants. Do the ones that move there try to change things? Rude?

Sorry, but I was just curious about is all. Don't want to offend anyone by asking

Old 11-24-2011, 09:48 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,032,681 times
I think you'll find that nobody hates transplants for the most part. What you do have, however, is a lot of people who don't move out of the state, so they still have tight-knit bonds with friends that can span over years and years. Obviously, that means some people need to work to get new friends, but overall I doubt you're going to find most Minnesotans don't want new blood. We're perhaps, just set in our ways.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,113,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
I live near Seattle and we don't get much snow. So this is probably a dumb question, but do they have drivers courses in the winter to help you learn how to drive right in it? Hahaha I feel weird asking, but hey! You never know unless you ask, right? :P
I'm not sure. One thing you can do, though, is (slowly, gradually, not in a hurry) drive to an empty parking lot after the first slow sticks and drive around a little to get a feel for your car braking and such on snow.

The main thing is to not steer, brake, or accelerate suddenly. You want your tires to roll on the surface, not slide...

Quote:
That's cool that the car washes wash the underside. My car is a little over 3 years old, so hopefully it wouldn't rust like my family keeps telling me about...lol.
My 94 Accord spent its first 10 years up there, and it doesn't have that much rust on it. A little, sure.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,113,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
O! I did want to ask you all something else.

I've read through the forums and it seems that you guys aren't too fond of transplants. Just curious as to how come. I'm happy to share my beautiful state with transplants. Do the ones that move there try to change things? Rude?

Sorry, but I was just curious about is all. Don't want to offend anyone by asking
I think I was fairly typical of folks in the Twin Cities suburbs ... I grew up in MN, made some friends in high school, made a lot more friends in college, and kept in touch with most of them after I graduated. Then I got a job and met even more friends through work, etc.

It's not like transplants are an issue. They aren't. My schedule was quite full up there, tho, and most of the time I did social stuff with existing friends, coworkers, and others who managed to meet someone in the circle and were brought in for various reasons. We just didn't have time to look for new folks to do stuff with.

The Atlanta suburbs (where I live now) seem to be a little more accepting to transplants, but that's because most of the people in the suburbs down here are transplants themselves and are actively looking for more friends. So we have lots of new friends, not so many old ones, and are looking for more all the time.

Up there, I have a few dozen friends I've known for 20 or 30 years.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:43 PM

988 posts, read 1,831,245 times
I echo the comments on the "rudeness", or perception of. I don't think people will be rude to you, but you may find social circles "pre-set" more so than other areas. Minnesota has seemed to traditionally had a higher percentage of "lifers" here (people born here and always lived here), which I guess is a compliment to ourselves that it's nice enough to not want to leave. However, as mentioned we more likely made our friends in school so don't as much tend to go outside that circle.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 AM

Sweet! Thanks for the replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota