Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:23 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times

Advertisements

Is anyone going to stay away from the Mall of America cause of the threat?

Al Shabaab calls for attack on Mall of America in new video | Fox News
Al Shabaab calls for attack on Mall of America in new video

A new video from Al Shabaab purportedly shows the terror group calling for an attack on Mall of America, in Bloomington, Minn.

According to Fox 9, the mall is one of three similar targets the terror group specifically names, including West Edmonton Mall in Canada and the Oxford Street shopping area in London.
The video purportedly shows 6 minutes of graphic images and the terrorists celebrating the 2013 Westgate Mall attack in Nairobi, Kenya, that killed more than 60 people.

He ended the video by calling on Muslim men to attack other shopping malls in Western countries.

An image of the Mall of America is shown in the video, alongside its GPS coordinates. The mall says it is ramping up its security in response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
damn! if only they hadn't revealed the GPS coordinates

Old 02-24-2015, 08:15 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
A new video from Al Shabaab purportedly shows the terror group calling for an attack on Mall of America, in Bloomington, Minn.
And?
So?

Al-Shabaab is an affiliate of al-Qaeda. These groups have been calling for attacks against western targets for decades.

It can hardly come as a surprise to any paying attention that the group would like to target the most-visited mall on the planet, not to mention the largest mall in North America (the West Edmonton Mall was also mentioned in the video) and the busiest shopping street in all of Europe (also mentioned). I would guess that all three are on al-Qaeda's target wish-list.

But it is one thing to call for and to want to attack certain targets - carrying out such plans are a whole 'nother thing.

Finally, I can do basic math. The odds of al-Shabaab or someone inspired by them...
1) Putting down the cell-phone and logging off of YouTube and deciding to try and carry out the attack, and
2) Actually getting into the United States, and
3) Not being foiled by law enforcement in the planning stage, and
4) Carrying out the attack on the day I happen to be there, and
5) At the time I happen to be there, and
6) Actually targetting me (hint: the mall sees about 100k visitors/day and is enormous)

...are probably less than the odds of dying in the highway en route to the mall.

So, I maybe go to the mall maybe all of twice a year, but I'm certainly not avoiding it out of fear of being whacked by a terrorist.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:39 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
I avoid the M.O.A. on principle.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Is anyone going to stay away from the Mall of America cause of the threat?

Al Shabaab calls for attack on Mall of America in new video | Fox News
Al Shabaab calls for attack on Mall of America in new video

According to Fox 9, the mall is one of three similar targets the terror group specifically names, including West Edmonton Mall in Canada and the Oxford Street shopping area in London.
The video purportedly shows 6 minutes of graphic images and the terrorists celebrating the 2013 Westgate Mall attack in Nairobi, Kenya, that killed more than 60 people.

He ended the video by calling on Muslim men to attack other shopping malls in Western countries.

An image of the Mall of America is shown in the video, alongside its GPS coordinates. The mall says it is ramping up its security in response.
Tell them, bring it pussies!

Old 02-24-2015, 07:36 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Lol since moving down to the cities back in January 2014, I been to the MOA like 2-3 times? I avoid it whenever possible, which fortunately is extremely easy.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times
I have been to the MOA a few times when it was first built, have not been back since.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:10 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Our highschool canceled their field-trip to the MOA aquariums on account of security concerns.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:24 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Our highschool canceled their field-trip to the MOA aquariums on account of security concerns.
That is what all the employees of the moa should do,

Old 02-25-2015, 08:33 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:

Who ? Shishkabob? Bring them on. No jungles to hide in hear. Just call in the local hunting club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota