Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:24 AM

8 posts, read 30,794 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I'm thinking of relocating and I'm interested in learning all about the Rochester MN area. What's Rochester like? Who are the major employers in Rochester, other than the Mayo Clinic? Is Rochester a good place to retire? What's the economy like? Are there many jobs available? What is the tax base for the area? What about the surrounding towns, what are they like?

When I think about Minnesota, I think about lots of lakes, harsh winters, and that's about it. Sorry, I've never been there. However, I have spent many years in Germany, so I know about winter and all that includes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 AM

442 posts, read 593,191 times
I lived down the road from Rochester in Austin, Minn., for 2 years (45 minutes away). Rochester is a great mid-sized town. Good restaurants, shopping, and economy seemed pretty stable. The only other major employer I know about there is IBM.

There's not a whole lot outside of Rochester, although Lanesboro is a cool, scenic little town with some fun shops. The winter can be rough. Not as cold as the northern parts of the state, but WINDY.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobulaboobula View Post
Greetings all,

I'm thinking of relocating and I'm interested in learning all about the Rochester MN area. What's Rochester like? Who are the major employers in Rochester, other than the Mayo Clinic? Is Rochester a good place to retire? What's the economy like? Are there many jobs available? What is the tax base for the area? What about the surrounding towns, what are they like?

When I think about Minnesota, I think about lots of lakes, harsh winters, and that's about it. Sorry, I've never been there. However, I have spent many years in Germany, so I know about winter and all that includes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Rochester is a rapidly growing city. In the last 20 years, the population has increased dramatically, roughly 30,000 people. Some of the major employers would be the city, the county, Olmsted Medical Center, the public schools. IBM's numbers having been steadily dropping. A lot of the blue buildings (where IBM is located) are empty or now being used by companies other than IBM. The hospitality industry is growing as the number of hotels continues to increase.

I don't know about retiring in Roch. Most of the people I know are still working, so I can't help you with that one.

The economy is good. There are jobs. Unemployment in Roch tends to be lower than the state average; however, I have not paid attention to the numbers recently. Hate tax stuff so I can't help on that tax base info either.

The surrounding towns are plenty. IMO they aren't very exciting but some are cute. Stewartville, Byron and Pine Island are pretty popular. There's Eyota, Elgin, Plainview, St. Charles, Chatfield, Oronoco, Kasson, Mantorville, Dodge Center, Zumbro Falls, etc. It all depends on what you are looking for in a small town and how far you want to be from Roch. There is bus service from the surrounding communities into downtown Roch, so if one were looking at small town living and working in Roch downtown, that'd save you gas and wear and tear on your vehicle. (Commuter Bus | Charter Bus | Rochester City Lines | Rochester MN)

Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
It's flat prairie - pretty if you like that sort of thing. Very green in the summer. Nearby is the area the glaciers missed - lovely high bluffs and rivers. Canoeing and trout fishing. Good restaurants. Outlying towns are friendly and tidy. Historic area. Near the Mississippi River and all it has to offer.

Good health care.

Every sick person in the world who can afford it comes to Rochester. Eek! (Sorry. I can't help but think that every time I'm in town.)

Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 30,794 times
That's precisely why I want to move to the Rochester area. You could say that about any medical center of excellence where people go to get well. It was certainly the case for me when I was diagnosed with Leukemia and I went to MD Anderson in Houston Texas for treatment. Four rounds of chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant and I'm back living my life again. Recovery is a long journey, and there are still some things I cannot do, but it is what it is, and it's better than the alternative.

Thanks again.

Last edited by scoobulaboobula; 07-28-2015 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
East and south of Rochester is an area that is among the most beautiful places in America.

Weathers aren't rough at all compared to other places in Minnesota and the Upper Midwest and the Upper Mid-Atlantic Region and Upper New Enland. Threads on CD about people obsessively worrying about the weather and snow in Rochester are just funny.

Rochester has a very healthy economy. Most neighborhoods are very well kept up and the city is clean.

It has an excellent county museum and a very very good city library.

Downtown has some interesting buildings and a "skyway" - you can walk between many of the downtown buildings in a climate controlled walkway if you want to.

Other than that Rochester is just a typical smaller city.

The only reason I ever felt the need to go there from the countryside was to shop at Trader Joe's and to go to a great little fabric store which is downtown.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:15 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobulaboobula View Post
That's precisely why I want to move to the Rochester area. You could say that about any medical center of excellence where people go to get well. It was certainly the case for me when I was diagnosed with Leukemia and I went to MD Anderson in Houston Texas for treatment. Four rounds of chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant and I'm back living my life again. Recovery is a long journey, and there are still some things I cannot do, but it is what it is, and it's better than the alternative.

Thanks again.
Well, they can work miracles over there. Last year they brought a classmate back from death's door. No one gave her a chance. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's flat prairie - pretty if you like that sort of thing. Very green in the summer. Nearby is the area the glaciers missed - lovely high bluffs and rivers. Canoeing and trout fishing. Good restaurants. Outlying towns are friendly and tidy. Historic area. Near the Mississippi River and all it has to offer.

Good health care.

Every sick person in the world who can afford it comes to Rochester. Eek! (Sorry. I can't help but think that every time I'm in town.)
It isn't flat...

Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Rochester is poised to boom and we are already starting to see it.. Sie würden wahrscheinlich willkommen hier! Immer noch viele Leute um Deutsch!
The Mayo Clinic and Jobs

Destination Medical Center (DMC) is a $5 billion plan to expand the Mayo Clinic’s Rochester campus and further enhance the region’s position as a global destination for health care services. Mayo officials estimate the expansion will create between 25,000 and 30,000 direct jobs, another 10,000 to 15,000 indirect jobs, and 1,800 to 2,200 construction jobs over the next 20 years. In all, Mayo officials estimate 35,000 to 45,000 jobs will be added in the region, plus significant new tax revenue.
RochesterDMC | Destination Medical Center Information Portal

Destination Medical Center, Rochester, Minn. - About Us - Mayo Clinic

Last edited by my54ford; 07-29-2015 at 07:14 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It isn't flat...
^^^^^This!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota