Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:58 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Yes, I used to live in minocqua, it's very similar to the brainerd area in my opinion. Brainerd is a little bigger in the off season, but same kinda thing!
Good to get that confirmation, thanks for adding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 11:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I haven't actually been to the area directly before, but many other areas of the Northwoods nearby. Brainerd/Baxter micropolitan area is over 75K with demographics tilted toward retirees over younger people. True, not as many good paying jobs in the area based on my research. I have an IT, GIS, and Engineering background. I assume the closest match to Brainerd Lakes area that I'm quite familiar with would be the Northwoods of Wisconsin if you're familiar with Minocqua/Woodruff or Eagle River areas. Vilas County, WI has around 1,300 smaller lakes, Crow Wing County seems to have larger sized lakes, but somewhat less lakes in total. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the interview next week!
Good luck to us all, you could be our forever modder.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:54 PM

250 posts, read 182,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
It has been said before and I will reiterate. If you consider wintertime (and everything about it) a bad thing, you are not really built for Minnesota. You have to love it. It doesn't mean that you have to be in shorts and a t-shirt when it is 10 out, but you have to have a love and appreciation for winter and the cold. I really think people who hate it should leave. Why suffer and drag the rest of us who love it down?

I hated southern California's climate. It just wasn't for me. Duluth fits me well and I love every moment of it.
This. I lived in SoCal for 50 effin years and I am so glad I now live on the East Coast. I love Winter. Snow, to me, it's glorious. I hated the dry 100+ degree days that never ended. Coupled with fires, the dreaded Santa Anas, the traffic. I'm thriving now. My son is too. ETA: I'm 52 now.

Last edited by piperdiva; 12-05-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Even the rain seems to presents problems for the people of Southern California.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...129-story.html
Lived in San Diego for 17 years. This is what happens when oil from cars pile up on the roads and is not repeatedly washed away. And stupid people driving too fast.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Oh, chill out. I thought it was obvious that what was considered by the press in San Diego to be a weather-related catastrophe paled in comparison to a snowstorm here. I guess it wasn’t that obvious...at least not to you.

Still, their wildfires and mudslides beat ours hands down!

And thanks for the nomination for lamest post of the week! I’ll return the favor by nominating you for biggest overreaction!
Don't forget the earthquakes! Been thru 9 of them.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
whenever the grip of winter starts getting to be too much, grab your scraper and shovel and go out and clear off some snow...down to the pavement.
Snow blower and salt! Unless you are trying to get your Fitbit steps in....

Old 12-05-2018, 04:26 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
how 'bout them Packers!
A RARE bad season!
But the Vikings are STILL the NFL's
Lord of the Ringless!
Still
Keep
On
Losing

Better get a ground game vikes!
My cat averages more yards doing his catnip zoomies, than the Vikings average per game!!

Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Can't move. Envy my brother in California not having to put up with this. If he wants his fix of cold weather it's a two hour drive to mountains. Seriously, have we lost are minds. All other seasons are glorious. I go through this every winter though and it's barely started. How do the rest of you keep your sanity?
Izzie, it’s only November! You a native? Well, if necessary, you can jump onto I-35 and take it south to the end of the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post

(Snip)

*Feet still cold after an hour of being indoors and wearing two pairs of thermal socks and thick boots*
Me: Uh huh.

".
Pshh, you can still feel your feet?

(Although loss of sensation in all extremities does come in handy when you’re sitting on an upturned bucket, ice-fishing.)

In all seriousness, try inserting a couple heating packets into your Thinsulate socks, within your Thinsulate boots.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:05 PM

225 posts, read 211,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Pshh, you can still feel your feet?
Hi mingna. Long time, no see!

I know... That may not be the case in a short while, the way my feet keep freezing and thawing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
In all seriousness, try inserting a couple heating packets into your Thinsulate socks, within your Thinsulate boots.
I was hoping someone would offer tips on keeping feet warm. Thank you, thank you...I will do this. I know that if I can make it through cold feet, I can make it through anything.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:56 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Can't move. Envy my brother in California not having to put up with this. If he wants his fix of cold weather it's a two hour drive to mountains. Seriously, have we lost are minds. All other seasons are glorious. I go through this every winter though and it's barely started. How do the rest of you keep your sanity?

I hear you. I actually appreciate the cooling down period from a hot summer if its gradual. The contrast of the season helps you appreciate each season. My problem with Minnesota winters is that they are too long. They seem to be milder, on average, than when I first moved here from Michigan. The one thing I do appreciate about Minnesota winters is that the sun shines a lot more than it does in Michigan winters. I love sunny days in the winter.....however, that sun usually means that its going to get really cold at night with the clear sky.

I have visited many different places and lived in 3 other states and Minnesota is a pretty good place to live. I had to finally stop and smell the roses. This is a nice place, even though my heart is in Detroit. I hate the cold but I like this place and you can't have one without the other. I think if this place was a lot warmer in the winter that it would not be the same place that I like so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota