Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 PM

14 posts, read 18,949 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out if moorehead/fargo is a good place to relocate my family. I am on disability for my MS so I need high humidity and damp weather it would be nice to have nice sunny summer days too. I have a sister there in that area who really wants me to move there, I'm just not sure I want to do that I am currently living in Montana and have been for the last twenty years, but the humidity is low here in the summer and it affects my MS not sure if I want to move to another state with where they get alot of snow, how is housing there would need to rent an apt. also how is the job market my husband is in the automotive field and what about the school's we have a wonderul twelve year old that is in middle school..... If I could get some input that would be awesome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,006,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartinez View Post
I am trying to figure out if moorehead/fargo is a good place to relocate my family. I am on disability for my MS so I need high humidity and damp weather it would be nice to have nice sunny summer days too. I have a sister there in that area who really wants me to move there, I'm just not sure I want to do that I am currently living in Montana and have been for the last twenty years, but the humidity is low here in the summer and it affects my MS not sure if I want to move to another state with where they get alot of snow, how is housing there would need to rent an apt. also how is the job market my husband is in the automotive field and what about the school's we have a wonderul twelve year old that is in middle school..... If I could get some input that would be awesome
Hi

You might try posting this on the North Dakota forum as several folks from Fargo post there. I live about an hour north of the FM area and also work in the weather field.

In terms of humidity...the FM area is definitely more humid than Montana. Of course in the winter it is colder than Montana....and it is often a dry cold. But in the warm months our humidity is quite a bit more than Montana and areas west of the Missouri river in western ND. Job market in FM area is pretty good. Fargo is the by far the bigger of the two and would have more job opportunities there....but it is easy to live in Moorhead and work in Fargo...most do. There is tax reciprocity btwn MN and ND...so if you live in MN and work in ND you still only pay one state's income tax. In this case you pay where you live. Schools are all great in the area....there is one middle school for Moorhead and one high school. Fargo would have several. South Fargo is the newer area and so is the city of West Fargo. North Dakota has less issues now with school funding than Minnesota does.

As for crime....both cities have low rates of violent crime. Most are petty...but you do have your random stuff like any other growing population center. Murders are very rare.

I dont know about how apartment rents would compare to where you live. But Fargo in particular has many many apartments of all price ranges. Someone on the ND forum may help you out there.

In terms of weather....yeah our winters can be tough with a lot of wind and cold and some snow....but so are most places in the region.

I hope this helps some...

Dan

Old 03-13-2010, 05:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
MN is surprisingly humid. I did not know that a humid climate is good for MS. I know my mom had a medical condition that was activated by humidity and often had issues here in the Twin Cities.

It might be worth looking closer to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area mainly for job opportunities and having more medical options for you but the Fargo/Moorhead area is a nice area with a lot going for it.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 PM

14 posts, read 18,949 times
Yea unfortunately it is, people with MS can not tolerate dry heat or low humidity, hot tubs, hot showers etc... it makes us impossible to get are legs working properly and trust me it is very miserable don't get me wrong if the weather changes drastically hot one day snow the next. I can end up using my walker that day. anyway's thanks for your advice I will check into it

Old 03-13-2010, 03:10 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,630 times
Quote:
Yea unfortunately it is, people with MS can not tolerate dry heat or low humidity, hot tubs, hot showers etc... it makes us impossible to get are legs working properly and trust me it is very miserable don't get me wrong if the weather changes drastically hot one day snow the next. I can end up using my walker that day. anyway's thanks for your advice I will check into it
If you want humidity, then go further West. Just over the hump into the Swan Valley - Missoula, north to the border - plenty of humidity - in fact - too much. And, it's cold too.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 AM

865 posts, read 2,502,366 times
Quote:
Hard to give good advice as this post seems to contradict itself. A hot shower is not "dry heat" as it raises the humidity in the "microclimate" of the bathroom considerably!

FM area will be humid in the summer (though not excessively so and not as bad as the Twin Cities). But it can also be quite dry and windy in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota