Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 AM

761 posts, read 3,416,144 times

Advertisements

Agreed on the mentor part, but I think just having Sage watch him from his own sideline he can gather some information..

Lets see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Default Tarkenton doesn't like Favre!

Brave Sir Francis seems to think the Favre signing is a mistake. Given Tarkenton's reputation as a major primo donna and hardly a guy to pal around with his team-mates, his comments seem a bit shallow and envious to me. Perhaps he thinks he will no longer be invited to the all-time Viking team reunions anymore after this year.

I also recall he said he had no use for mentoring Tommy Kramer when it became evident that Kramer would be the heir apparent. Pot-Kettle.

Former Viking Fran Tarkenton Still Doesn't Like Brett Favre -- NFL FanHouse

from an earlier May hissy fit...

Tarkenton: Favre's actions 'despicable' | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/46303367.html?elr=KArksUUUU - broken link)

Old 08-20-2009, 04:09 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,512 times
I can't wait for the NFL season to start now. I've grown up as a Vikings fan (my parents are from S. Dakota), and I've grown up hating the Packers/Favre. Yet despite all that, I've always been the lone Viking fan among my friends because I've lived pretty much everywhere besides the Midwest. However.... I will be attending the U of M as a freshman this year and I leave in a few days. So to be moving to the heart of the Twin Cities as a lifetime Vikings fan in the most anticipated season of my (short) lifetime, I don't care how much of a drama-queen Favre is, I'm excited!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I love it. The Vikes have gone from a basement team to a contender.
The Vikes have a great roster with or without Farve.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 PM

137 posts, read 331,741 times
You guys will sell out every home game now. Done deal. If he would have signed up in Detroit, we would also have sold out every home game. That is what the owners want and that is what the fans want....excitement on the field. Good luck and enjoy the season.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:13 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,849 times
Not a total football junkie but I love the game. This will be awesome to watch this season. Rivalries don't turn tables like this every day. It's fantastic attention.

I'm trying to move near Tampa so I kinda wish he had signed with the Buc's. Nevertheless, it's super cool and I'm proud of his enthusiasm & talent for the game. He doesn't have to be the best to provide great football.

those of you who are knocking it, just sit back with a drink and enjoy the moment.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--" win a super bowl "--

They had better teams in the past( yes, even if Favre is the quarterback this year ) that went to a superbowl, but failed to win a superbowl.

Did the NY Jets win the superbowl last year ?
The Vikings team the Cowboys beat at the Met back in 75 or whenever was probably the best one. The one where the ref was beaned by a bottle after swallowing his whistle. Sir Francis Tarkington, Foreman, a very strong defense, etc.

I had just turned 13 at the time, and I cried so hard.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
I've watched pretty much every Vikings game since week 1 of 1989 and by far the best team I saw was the 1998 team. I don't think I've ever been so upset in my life than I was when we lost to the Falcons in the NFC Championship game.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:53 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
3 minutes to go and the Vikes just give up a field goal to go down 24-20. 4th quarter, 3 minutes left the Vikes get the kickoff and will start from their own 20.

Ok, this is a normal occurance for the VIkings: finding themselves in this same situation

WHO do YOU want on the team? Tavaris leading the Vikes down the field, when the team KNOWS you HAVE to score a TD, not just get to the defense's 30 for a field goal? You want Sage? Sagey to push the Vikes down the field when the D KNOWS you cannot go to AP and expect him to push the ball 80 yards?

These situations are what Farve is going to deliver. He knows EXACTLY everything that could, should, would, and might happen.

Situations dont even have to be this intense... It may be a drive where the difference is between a field goal (from Tjack or Sagey) and a TD with Farve... Or, the difference between a punt (Sagey and Tjack) or a field goal with Farve...

Over the length of the season, Farve isnt going to deliver 100 more awesome plays, hes not going to thrown 45 touchdowns, and he PROBABLY will throw over 15 interceptions. BUT the little tiny things that may even be wearing down the D more that will factor in in the Fourth quarter, to getting a field goal whereas a punt would have happened, to even he gets a TD instead of a field goal

If youre a Vikings fan, you understand the term "A day late and a dollar short"

Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I've watched pretty much every Vikings game since week 1 of 1989 and by far the best team I saw was the 1998 team. I don't think I've ever been so upset in my life than I was when we lost to the Falcons in the NFC Championship game.

the 2000 team was pretty doggone good too. They got to the Championship game as well.. But, if you remember they lost 41-0. ouch.

What about Darren Nelson in 88'? Dropped touchdown catch that would have secured a Super Bowl appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota