Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 PM

42 posts, read 98,788 times

Advertisements

im going to be out on my ass in alittle due to personal events, im 19 my mother passed in feb and my father is very ill the doctors say they dont beleive hell make it past june-july. ive asked my guidance counselor and psychologist what i should do they told me to look into other states go out get a job and go to school start anew. im just wondering if theres any places in minnesota that would be good to do this. my guidance counselor gave me a list of places that have great schools Michigan, Illonois, Missouri, Ohio and Arizona all were on it but ive always wondered about Minnesota. Can anyone tell me if and where the good areas are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty122 View Post
im going to be out on my ass in alittle due to personal events, im 19 my mother passed in feb and my father is very ill the doctors say they dont beleive hell make it past june-july. ive asked my guidance counselor and psychologist what i should do they told me to look into other states go out get a job and go to school start anew. im just wondering if theres any places in minnesota that would be good to do this. my guidance counselor gave me a list of places that have great schools Michigan, Illonois, Missouri, Ohio and Arizona all were on it but ive always wondered about Minnesota. Can anyone tell me if and where the good areas are.
Sorry to hear about your situation Matty.
Is there anything else in particular that you are looking at in a state, weather, types of job interest, culture, activities etc.? Where are you coming from?
Minnesota has several great schools both private and public. You could look at being in a large metro area or rural school, northern or southern Minnesota. Give me some specifics and I can probably name a few places.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation Matty.
Is there anything else in particular that you are looking at in a state, weather, types of job interest, culture, activities etc.? Where are you coming from?
Minnesota has several great schools both private and public. You could look at being in a large metro area or rural school, northern or southern Minnesota. Give me some specifics and I can probably name a few places.
i pretty much would like to go into social work, maybe psychology later in life. but i like the seasons. im coming from connecticut, massachusets border.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 PM

336 posts, read 927,531 times
The University of MN has a very good social work program, not a lot of small colleges have them. I'm very sorry too about your situation. Are your grades decent? Is there money for school, etc, or will you need loans?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
The University of MN has a very good social work program, not a lot of small colleges have them. I'm very sorry too about your situation. Are your grades decent? Is there money for school, etc, or will you need loans?
i will most likely need loans, my grades werent amazing Ds and Cs mostly i wasnt in school alot the last 4 years have been very hectic and i had to help them out before i could take myself into consideration unfortunatly.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Given your situation you will most likely get your schooling paid for at 100%, part of which will be loans. If you want to start over and have a sense of community to help you through a rough time I would suggest looking at St. John's/St. Ben's (I don't know if you are male or female). They have a great social work program there and the sense of community is outstanding. They are also beautiful campuses and Minnesota typically has a good job market for graduates. You are going to have to score well on the ACT to get into these schools though unless you are able to pull your grades up some but if you had good grades in the past and your counselor can put a letter into your application information about what has been going on in the last year, that may help.

If you can't get into St. Ben's or St. John's, I would suggest looking at some of the smaller state schools so you don't just become a number like you would at the U of M. Morris, Bemidji and Southwest Minnesota State would be the 3 I would look into first-in that order. Admission standards aren't as tough as St. Ben's/St. Johns but they are good schools.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:44 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Why will your situation be different in MN than it is where your at. The common factor in your life experience is you. Why not get your education where your at?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Given your situation you will most likely get your schooling paid for at 100%, part of which will be loans. If you want to start over and have a sense of community to help you through a rough time I would suggest looking at St. John's/St. Ben's
Keep in mind the $30k/yr tuition. Social workers don't make much money and it's tough to start adult life with tons of debt.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Keep in mind the $30k/yr tuition. Social workers don't make much money and it's tough to start adult life with tons of debt.
He won't pay anything to go there, financial aid will take care of his need given his home situation.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:00 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
He won't pay anything to go there, financial aid will take care of his need given his home situation.
don't you think he'll need loans? or do you think grants and scholarships will cover expenses? keep in mind we are not talking about one of gagliardi's football players
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota