Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:50 PM

58 posts, read 137,699 times

Advertisements

It's a big decision, and I'm kinda unsure.

I like cold weather, love it actually, and I don't care for the summer.

I love hockey, and I just think that the state will benefit me.

My work experience is minimal, I'm waiting for that oppurtunity.

I am very interested in Kinesisology, major or minor in that.

any schools in the area have that?

would it be wise to move there?

My fiance has a bach. degree, and she's been at a bank for 2 years, a well known big bank too.

I don't want a big town enviroment, but something close to a good school, that would have some sort of prestige in the sports field, or therapy field

thanks a lot.

(I grew up in Indiana, and have live in KY, and TN the past 5 years.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:17 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,661,176 times
I think you are making the wrong assumption if you are picking Minnesota because you love cold weather and don't like the summer (southern Minn. especially). You will probaly want to look 700 miles further north, up past the arctic circle in the NW Territories of Canada. Although they do have some warm summer days up there to.
Hockey is usually much more popular in Northern Minn than Southern Minn at the high school level IMO. Southern Minn. is more about highschool football.
I know MNSU Mankato is a smaller city and has sports theropy. Also alot of hockey fans there. I'm not sure about St. Cloud, but they have a university there as well.
Overall, Minnesota is a great state. Northern is more the woods and lakes and cooler summers. Southern has more employment and school options but is more corn fields and warm/hot, humid summers and a few good lakes.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:25 PM

Thanks for your comments. I'm not basing anything off the weather or anything.

Mainly it would be the feel of the area (i'd have to visit it) and the education system/job oppurtunities.

I would love to get a degree in therapy or something and work for a hockey program (high school or college).

I'm just tired of this 90-95 degree humid heat in the summer. And I'm sick of people freaking out when we get 4 inches of snow here in TN. It's so stupid.

thanks

Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
A few areas come to mind, Bemidji-good high school and university sports there, Marshall, same good high school sports and University sports-although no college hockey but lots of high school and rec league stuff or St. Peter-there are a couple colleges/universities in and close to St. Peter (Gustavus, Mankato, DMLC and even over into New Ulm) and ok high school sports. Gustavus has a very good athletic training program and kinesiology will work into that fairly well.

Marshall also has a large division of US Bank that is one of the major employers in town.

All these towns are nice, smaller towns with a lot of amenities. You are still going to have some hot and humid summer days but it won't be endless like you have now.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM

yeah bemidji i've heard of.

i'm also afraid of having a small school on my resume and no one knowing it or not taking it into account...

thanks for your help

Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 PM

540 posts, read 1,097,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcynd View Post
I'm just tired of this 90-95 degree humid heat in the summer. And I'm sick of people freaking out when we get 4 inches of snow here in TN. It's so stupid.
FYI, the weather does get that hot and humid here in the summer.

And people freak out a lot about the weather here also, probably a lot due to the local news over-hyping small storms into major "weather events".

Old 05-03-2010, 04:56 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,661,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
FYI, the weather does get that hot and humid here in the summer.

And people freak out a lot about the weather here also, probably a lot due to the local news over-hyping small storms into major "weather events".

Very true. Minnesota winters aren't even what they used to be 30 years ago (which I consider a good thing). People freak out especially if there is ice in the winter storm (but not as bad as they do in the south).
Summers do get hot and humid here, but we do get a few cooler breaks unlike one would in Tennessee.

Have you ever thought about the University of Alaska Fairbanks or Anchorage Rob? Check out the gang on the Alaska forum. They have some REAL winters and serious hockey up there (plus mountains). Although Minnesota is an awesome state as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,978 times
In this economic climate, I think the critical factors here will be (1) can the wife transfer to another branch of the same bank, (2) what schools have good kinesisology and sports medicine programs, and (3) availability of friends/relatives on either side of the family who can help you out (especially when you have a baby) - at your age you're going to have ups and downs, and the downs could be pretty devastating because you won't have much of a cushion to fall back on such as savings or a 401K fund you can tap.

Starting out, you might have to move to get a job in your field (I don't know what Kinesisology is like - some fields are harder to find local jobs for than others, and some fields you can stay in any given city and grow in the field while other fields require you to be fairly mobile until you are more professionally established). Look at the help wanted ads for the kinesisology field to get a feel for when you'll be able to jump from a first job if its in someplace you don't like (do most employers want 2 years experience or 5? Are the licensing requirements state by state or are they uniform? What extras are most in demand besides kinesisology?).

If you're lucky you can combine that with a cold climate and a decent hockey program, but you may have to defer that for a few years. I'm not a professional, but I do think your priorities need to be on the career and the money side for the moment.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 PM

well thank you for your input, well put sir.

Yeah all those things need to be in perspective.

I'm just wanting to do something different, somewhere else.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcynd View Post
yeah bemidji i've heard of.

i'm also afraid of having a small school on my resume and no one knowing it or not taking it into account...

thanks for your help
Bemidji State Hockey has made the Frozen 4 a year ago and made the final 8 this season. In the Upper Midwest, Gustavus is a pretty well known and people in the sports world for Division III will know Gustavus. I wouldn't worry too much about having a "small" school on your resume to start. It is next to impossible to get a job in sports training at a major school without that background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota