Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 35,842 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job in Memphis and we were looking at Hernando for a place to live but I had a few questions about it.
Are all areas of Hernando good? What about the schools? Is this a small town? Or is it like the country? Does it get floods? Tornado's?
Is there any shopping (walmart, Target) Restaurants? And I know this might sound really stupid of me but I'm from the city so I really have no clue but do you get High Speed Internet out there ?

Thanks so much to whomever answers It really is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofadivaX2 View Post
Are all areas of Hernando good? What about the schools?
From what I read in the paper, it is all safe. There may be some petty crime or a crime of opportunity (leaving your car unlocked and having some CD's stolen). Nothing major that I can remember.

Quote:
What about the schools?
Yes, they have schools. A family member just moved there and she is almost finished with her teaching degree so she knows about all of the local schools. The Desoto county school district is one of the highest scoring districts in the state.

Quote:
Is this a small town? Or is it like the country?
That is a very subjective question. I grew up in a town of 5,000 which can be considered small. I tease my wife about being a 'city boy' since she grew up in a town of 400. My opinion of Hernando, it does have a small town feel. And there are rural/farm parts of it as well.

Quote:
Does it get floods? Tornado's?
There were some county roads south of town that were under water last spring. But those roads run through a very rural area. Flooding when the MS river is high? No. Hernando isn't in the river delta. That is a few miles west. Tornados? Absolutely. This is the South. But everyone lives with them. Last spring I watched a wall cloud go over the top of my house. Not much I could do. That same storm spawned a tornado that hit Southaven and bounced into Memphis. My old office took a direct hit.

Quote:
Is there any shopping (walmart, Target) Restaurants?
There is a Wal-Mart and a few smaller national stores. There are also a lot of locally owned shops. Same with restaurants. You have some of the national chains. But I make it a point of only eat at locally owned restaurants. When you get down there, try the chili cheese tater tots from The Spot. They are fat free (they don't charge for the fat). It is a 15 minute drive north to Southaven which has even a larger selection of stores/restaurants including Target, Kohls and JC Penny. You have to go into Memphis for Macy's.

Quote:
And I know this might sound really stupid of me but I'm from the city so I really have no clue but do you get High Speed Internet out there ?
You get it the same way you get it in any city. You call the local provider and order. My family in Hernando uses the AT&T bundle which includes DSL. You can also get your internet from Comcast. I use that because it is faster but I work from home and need as much speed as possible. If you end up in a rural section of town, you may use services from CenturyTel (a rural phone company based in Monroe, La.). They have DSL as well. Southaven has a city based wireless system. We aren't as backwards as some people think.

-Robert

Old 10-27-2008, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 35,842 times
Default Very good information

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions I dont think you missed anything.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:00 PM

33 posts, read 136,710 times
Hernando is a great place to live and raise a family. As with any town, there are safer areas than others. I think it would be very hard to find a place with absolutely no crime. The school system is very good. Do a google search for Desoto County Mississippi schools. They have an excellent website.

Last year, the population of Hernando was estimated to be around 13,700. I don't think flooding would be a major concern unless you lived in a low-lying area with a creek on the property. As with all areas in east Arkansas, west TN, and north MS, storms with tornados are possible.

Hernando has an "in-town" area that has a suburban feel and outlying areas that are definitely rural. As Robert stated, there are plenty of shopping places. High speed interent is going to depend on where you live. It might not be available if you live in an out-lying rural area.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:47 AM

78 posts, read 394,558 times
The previous posters have about covered it all. As far a tornadoes. Of course anywhere in the area you are subject to them, but we have lived in Hernando for over 35 years & only one has touched down here...in town.. & it hit a garage or shed on the west side of town.
When I came the population was 2,000, now it is closer to 16,000 because the city is adding to new Wards for next year city election & you have to be over 15,000 to do that.
Lot of empty houses for sale. Many bought that really couldn't afford a mini mansion & have lost them
We have a pretty lax police dept as for monor things, car tags, fireworks & such but they seem to do o k as far as keeping major crime down

Old 11-07-2008, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,519 times
Hi there ... we have lived here almost five years and love it. It was much more small town when we first moved here. But is still very much a small time feel. When you get past I-55 which crosses one of the main roads in Hernando, it is more of a city feel where we have shopping and restaurants, Walmart etc. The area I live in is close to the "square" where the courthouse is, very small town feel. The schools are great here and I feel very safe.

HTH !

Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 PM

10 posts, read 41,161 times
I've lived in Hernando for 2 years now and I absolutely love it! It's smaller than southaven and Olive Branch, but yet big enough to not have to leave to go shopping or get groceries. There isn't much crime, the schools are awesome, and we even have our very own Walmart

Old 12-04-2008, 06:11 PM

16 posts, read 65,363 times
Default Love It In Hernando!

Hi! My husband, little boy, and I moved to Hernando at the end of May. We are here on a temporary work assignment...maybe 18 months...but now after almost 6 months I don't know if I ever want to leave! The only thing I don't like is that I think Hernando might be doomed due to Memphis leaking out to the surrounding areas. I had a huge awakening after moving here and realizing that the city I thought was all about Jazz and BBQ is crime ridden and full of thugs...ahhh...seriously everyday on the news someone has been killed...and it usually multiple people...unreal and quite the culture shock!

With that being said...I have never felt unsafe in Hernando (or Memphis...but I will only go during daylight hours) It is such a cute, quaint place. You have the old day charm up by the Square and the new, chic feel across the Interstate. The 6 months I have been here Hernando has gotten a Taco Bell, KFC, Arby's, and Wal-Greens. We also have Wal-Mart, Kroger, Fred's, Family Dollar, and Dollar Tree....plenty of options to get groceries, gifts, toys, etc....but if you want more options just hop on the Interstate for a short jaunt to Southaven where your store and restaurant options open up considerably...we go to Southaven often for Home Depot and Sam's Club and Target...and Chuck E. Cheese (my son's favorite place) You also have to go to Southaven to see a movie too...no theater in Hernando...but the drive is hardly anything and I don't feel left out...I always like leaving Southaven and coming back to Hernando where it isn't as crowded....although Commerce Street is always soo busy...I can't figure out where all the traffice is coming and going!!

The Hernando Library is great and is part of the First Regional Library where you can check out books from any participating libraries...so if Hernando doesn't have a book....they will just get if for you from another library. They also have activities for the kids.

My son is not in school so I can't tell you much except for that I have heard they are great!

I wish there were more sit down restaurants here though...too much fast food...there are some nice local places...but still not a lot of options. On a previous post someone mention tator tots from the "The Spot"...but it is called "The Dip" or "Velvet Cream"....just in case you get confused.

Despite the negatives I have said about Memphis...it really has been fun having it close by...lots to see and do. We like to go to the Children's Museum. We still have a lot we need to go see and explore.

Hernando has a couple great parks too.

Can you tell I like it here?!?! If you have any other questions please ask. I know I haven't been here very long...but I like talking about it...it is a great place to live!....oh and I am typing this on high speed internet from Comcast!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,613 times
There actually IS a place called The Spot though, and it has great food! They have bands come, live trivia, and more! The Dip or Velvet Cream has been there FOREVER and is a great place for a burger and a dip cone! (or shake)

Old 03-05-2011, 05:29 PM

105 posts, read 273,837 times
As I posted earlier, I have been in Hernando a long time & for the most part it is a nice place to live. I had 3 girls to graduate from Hernando High that went on to college & are doing well.
We live in an older neighborhood of modest houses. No $200K houses & we have never had a problem with anything more than a dog running loose or a kid riding a 4 wheeler down the street.
There is a small house on my street for sale now that would be ideal for a couple with one child or a single mom or single person.
I suspect I will be here the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi