Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:31 PM

6 posts, read 30,736 times

Advertisements

Meriwether...inave's quote may be the most important reason of all. Actually Iuka sounds lovely. I had tried to find some realtors...even did one of those search engines containing what I am looking forward to finding. So far, the only thing I've been able to find is in Pickwick Pines? I really wasn't thinking SUBDIVISION and certainly not all crammed together like they look! If any of you come up with some suggestions, please leave them here. I will come back and look periodically. Is there anywhere IN Iuka to stay if I decide to drive up that way and just look around in person?

Last edited by brgator; 03-18-2007 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: incomplete information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 AM

Default Nearly 2 years later...

Wow! No one has left any suggestions. Just thought I'd bump this back up...STILL think Iuka sounds like a haven from the madding crowd!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM

43 posts, read 166,627 times
I used to live in Iuka, a great small town in the mid-south. Tishomingo County is the prettiest county in North Ms I think. If you like to fish and golf it is heaven, when I lived there we would usually go to Florence Tupelo and Memphis shopping. I really enjoyed it.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:10 PM

28 posts, read 100,606 times
Just wondering how you liked Mississippi after your move?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,146 times
Iuka is a lovely small southern town and Pickwick Lake is a beautiful resort area. However, Pickwick Pines Resort is a total disaster. The MS Attorney General is investigating for possible fraud violations from the builder David McMeans,because he has raised the "fees" 260% in five years and says he can charge whatever he wants. The MS Health Dept is investigating overbuilding as he only had permission for 50 but build 265. Homes that have been paid for are not being completed. Some homeowners had to pave their own roads and driveways. It would be a terrible investment and it is really awful for the people that trusted this man and bought a home there.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 8,117 times
Default Iuka info

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgator View Post
Wow! No one has left any suggestions. Just thought I'd bump this back up...STILL think Iuka sounds like a haven from the madding crowd!!!
My husband & I plan on moving to Iuka sometime this year. My dad was born there & I'm related to quite a few people either there or in Muscle Shoals, where my grandmother was born. There's 2 or 3 hotels in Iuka (from your previous message). Victorian Inn is on Hwy 72. You could also get a cabin (if your the outdoorsy type) at J.P. Coleman State Park (about 5 minutes from Iuka). Great scenery and you could stay longer for less out of pocket.
We're moving there because the cost of living is lower and my husband is tired of hurricane evacuations (we live near New Orleans right now). It's a quieter pace than the city but we're at the point now that we're looking forward to it.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:08 PM

Thanks for your input, rjack. I'm also considering leaving Louisiana. Baton Rouge was devastated last year during/after Gustav and I'm also tired of dodging 'canes.

I'll have to look into that state park cabin, which sounds lovely. Thanks again...

I do have one concern...tornadoes...I've looked at the stats, but they don't really tell me that much. Would anyone up there like to fill me in? thx

Last edited by brgator; 03-21-2009 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: wanted to add a question

Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgator View Post
I do have one concern...tornadoes...I've looked at the stats, but they don't really tell me that much. Would anyone up there like to fill me in? thx
My cousins tell me that there is the usual concern up there, but I guess since my house flooded from Hurricane Katrina - I know weather can be a problem anywhere and believe it or not, the gulf coast is nicknamed the Dixie Tornado Alley. I'm originally from Dallas and a few tornadoes hit around there every year. A tornado touched down in Tangipahoa Parish (LA) just about a week ago. Perhaps a home with a basement or with a storm cellar if it's your only concern. I didn't notice too many homes with storm cellars though. I'm not downplaying your concerns. It's a concern I have too, but I think no town is safe from everything. Some real estate companies there are ablesrealestate.com, gracelongrealestate.com & magnoliarealestate.com. Hope everything works out whatever you decide to do.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 AM

Thanks again rjack...I realize every area has its risks, but I'm particularly concerned with wind damage. I'm a collector of old fragile china/pottery and am trying to find a location that isn't so volatile! Just last week I had a 30' tree branch from one of my old elms come crashing down just behind my car w/no forewarning. I was very lucky it didn't fall a different direction! Tornadoes are like that. At least when a hurricane is headed this direction, I can take a day and bubblewrap and pack most of it away. I hate living in constant fear! But I also hate living in a city that is turning into one big ghetto!!! I was thinking that a nice small quiet town sounds perfect...lots of variables to consider. thx again!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,546 times
Thumbs up A transplanted memphis in iuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack View Post
My husband & I plan on moving to Iuka sometime this year. My dad was born there & I'm related to quite a few people either there or in Muscle Shoals, where my grandmother was born. There's 2 or 3 hotels in Iuka (from your previous message). Victorian Inn is on Hwy 72. You could also get a cabin (if your the outdoorsy type) at J.P. Coleman State Park (about 5 minutes from Iuka). Great scenery and you could stay longer for less out of pocket.
We're moving there because the cost of living is lower and my husband is tired of hurricane evacuations (we live near New Orleans right now). It's a quieter pace than the city but we're at the point now that we're looking forward to it.
I would advise anyone that is looking for a safe place to live, Iuka is it. We may not have the "NIGHTLIFE" that a lot of other places have, but we do have plenty to do.

Since I lived in Memphis all my life I was used to tornado watching and warnings all the time. It does not seem to be as bad here and I do not regret the move at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi