Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 13,374 times

Advertisements

Hello,I just moved to Columbus from Fl. Can anyone tell me what there is to do here, what are some good Restaurants, anything fun to do here with young kids (2 yr. old), like going to the parks? If so, where is there a nice one? It is very different here then where I am from, I have been here 2 weeks and I LOVE it already, just wondering if I picked a good area to live. Where are the good and bad areas of town? We rented a place off of Main st. right up the road from Downtown. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 PM

19 posts, read 44,976 times
Default Welcome to MS

Hi,

My husband and I just moved this summer to Starkville, which is nearby to Columbus. We really like it! Starkville has quite a few good restaurants that we've discovered. We like Restaurant Tyler, Zorba's, The Veranda, and Little Dooey's (BBQ). There is a dog park in town here that's great for our dog to run and stretch her legs. Mississippi State University has places to walk and bike, and of course, football games to watch. I'm not very familiar with Columbus, since we're fairly new to MS too, but just wanted to mention Starkville! We're enjoying it so far, and have made quite a few friends already. People are very friendly! Good luck!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:38 PM

185 posts, read 405,596 times
Amanda, your best bet would probably be to get involved in one of the larger churches here; there, you would find other moms of young children and they could get you up to speed on things to do in Columbus. We don't have as many varied and cool restaurants as Starkville, but there are some good ones downtown; Harvey's, Huck's, and J. Broussard. If you have a FB account, there is also a Columbus Facebook Watch page with about 4000 members. The main reason for the page is to keep people aware of criminal activity in the area, but you could probably find plenty of young mothers there to network with.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
I grew in the Golden Triangle area, but I recently discovered a great Korean restaurant in Columbus. It's a bit far out, but it was really good. I have been missing Korean food. This place is called Hana Korean Restaurant & Market and it's off of Hwy 373. If you are up for a little adventure, you should definitely try it. The owners are Korean and American, and the food is authentic. Good stuff.

I also really like La Fiesta Brava on Hwy 45 by WalMart. IMO, it's good food. There used to be a Greek restaurant, but I don't know if it's still there.

Other than that, I have no comments. I don't know about parks or restaurants much anymore (moved away 12 years ago). After living in large metro areas, I'm not wild about the options in the area, but I'm glad you like it.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
Amanda, your best bet would probably be to get involved in one of the larger churches here; there, you would find other moms of young children and they could get you up to speed on things to do in Columbus. We don't have as many varied and cool restaurants as Starkville, but there are some good ones downtown; Harvey's, Huck's, and J. Broussard. If you have a FB account, there is also a Columbus Facebook Watch page with about 4000 members. The main reason for the page is to keep people aware of criminal activity in the area, but you could probably find plenty of young mothers there to network with.
Love the Church idea, there are a lot around here, I think it would be nice I have a fb, I just requested to join the group. Thanks!!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 AM

513 posts, read 897,173 times
if you or your husband like steak, check out Old Hickory Steak House on 45. We used to have an office in Columbus and i ate there everytime i was in town. Took my wife once, and still 10 years later she will ask me if we can make the short 4 hour drive over there from Greenville to eat!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
if you or your husband like steak, check out Old Hickory Steak House on 45. We used to have an office in Columbus and i ate there everytime i was in town. Took my wife once, and still 10 years later she will ask me if we can make the short 4 hour drive over there from Greenville to eat!
We will definitely stop in there, thanks!!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 PM

513 posts, read 897,173 times
it's not much to look at, and the only entree is steak, but believe me it is worth it.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 AM

15 posts, read 36,526 times
Default Why did you move to Columbus, MS?

I am wonder why people live there? I am considering moving there because of a career move but I am coming from near Austin, TX. It concerns me. Job is awesome though. I am teetering on it right now.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 36,526 times
Amanda, it has been two years since your post and I wonder how it went and how your are doing now? I am considering moving to the area with a career move. So I will be relocated by a company that is there and have a job in place already. great advantage but I would be moving from near Austin, TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi