Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiK View Post
Still, my main concern about teachers having guns is the security of the weapon within a classroom. As someone formerly employed in public schools I know it's hard to keep things secure and kids tend to wander and explore whatever is at hand. The potential for a gun getting into the wrong hands would be one consideration.
As mentioned earlier, IWB (In the WaistBand) holster. Just take a look at the first minute of this video. The woman in it is definitely not wearing something school appropriate but you still can't see the firearm on her. I have a family member who is former city police and he has to ask if I'm carrying.

Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster (female review & demo) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiK View Post
Still, my main concern about teachers having guns is the security of the weapon within a classroom. As someone formerly employed in public schools I know it's hard to keep things secure and kids tend to wander and explore whatever is at hand. The potential for a gun getting into the wrong hands would be one consideration. Another problem would be that a gun secured sufficiently to prevent theft or exploration might not be available quickly enough to do any good.
There is zero chance of the gun getting into the wrong hands unless the student has his hands in the teachers wasteband or other intimate area (and even then it's difficult)...and if that happense then we have other issues beyond the scope of this thread. Obviously a carry permit means you physically carry the weapon, and yes, with one in the pipe. Otherwise you are carrying a useless brick.

Now I am not aware of this law but I would assume the teacher would get the standard enhanced carry permit that is available to the public and allows anyone with this permit to carry a weapon in school - so that means fingerprinting, photographing, FBI check, local law enforcement check, and mandatory weapons training including legal use of force, how to carry a weapon, how not to carry a weapon, etc. Nothing wrong with that at all - the more good guys have weapons the better.

Last edited by Dd714; 03-05-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There is zero chance of the gun getting into the wrong hands unless the student has his hands in the teachers wasteband or other intimate area (and even then it's difficult)...and if that happense then we have other issues beyond the scope of this thread. Obviously a carry permit means you physically carry the weapon, and yes, with one in the pipe. Otherwise you are carrying a useless brick.

Now I am not aware of this law but I would assume the teacher would get the standard enhanced carry permit that is available to the public and allows anyone with this permit to carry a weapon in school - so that means fingerprinting, photographing, FBI check, local law enforcement check, and mandatory weapons training including legal use of force, how to carry a weapon, how not to carry a weapon, etc. Nothing wrong with that at all - the more good guys have weapons the better.
One simple precaution would be to carry an automatic concealed but unloaded, with the magazine(s) concealed elsewhere on the body in case a student has studied who is likely carrying and where on the body. Naturally this policy should not be publicized.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Actually, when you look at the term of the Mississippi concealed Carry License, it appears to me that individuals already have the right to be armed in class. Doesn't matter whether you are a teacher or not. The idea that school boards suddenly have this big decision to make is not true at all. Is it?

Firearms Permit Vs Enhanced Carry Permits

Firearms Permit
CAN NOT carry in a Courtroom or Law Enforcement Office or detention center.
CAN NOT carry in Polling Place or meeting of the Government.
CAN NOT carry at any School, College or Athletic Event.
CAN NOT carry at establishment or portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises primarily devoted to such purpose
CAN NOT carry inside the passenger terminal of any airport
CAN NOT carry in any church or other place of
worship.
CAN NOT carry any place prohibited by federal
law.
CAN NOT carry where Private Business displays “NO FIREARMS” signage
CAN NOT carry in Parades where permits are required.

Enhanced Carry Permit
CAN NOT carry in courtrooms during a judicial proceeding
CAN NOT carry in any
police, sheriff or highway patrol station or any detention facility, prison or jail.
CAN NOT carry any place prohibited by federal
law.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,754 times
Crossbreed Supertucks are very good but like any other holster you can be made if you wear the wrong clothes. I know this from firsthand experience.

Now if Crossbreed made a retention holster, that would be the answer!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
One simple precaution would be to carry an automatic concealed but unloaded, with the magazine(s) concealed elsewhere on the body in case a student has studied who is likely carrying and where on the body. Naturally this policy should not be publicized.
Excuse me Mr. School Shooter. I need some time to load my pistol and chamber a rounds.

You carry or you don't.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Excuse me Mr. School Shooter. I need some time to load my pistol and chamber a rounds.

You carry or you don't.
It takes maybe two seconds to take a magazine from its place of concealment on the body and insert it.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
It takes maybe two seconds to take a magazine from its place of concealment on the body and insert it.
You have to move your clothes with your off-hand and draw. Then with your off-hand draw the magazine. In your workspace, insert your mag on a closed bolt. Don't forget you have to rack the slide also. By then, you are already 10 seconds (probably more) behind the bad guy.

I can draw and deliver 2 rounds center mass (as measured in training) in 1.7 seconds.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Noooo, well you can, but I do not recommend that at all....for the reasons I listed (you are otherwise carrying a useless brick) - keep it loaded with one loaded in the chamber (for semi-automatics). That 5 seconds or more may be the difference between life or death...and the simplists steps you have between drawing and firing is the best. It's also ironically the safest, as muscle memory will be better to adapt to simply pointing, acquiring the target, and firing. Rather than fumbling through your other pocket for your magazine and loading it, then pulling it back to load.

I've heard good things about the crossbreed supertuck, particularly for comfort. I work from home but over the weekend I wore my weapon out for like 15 hours straight and I swear I have a permanent gun imprint now behind my right hip. Otherwise, people are so oblivious and self absorbed that I can wear my weapon on top of my head and I swear no one will notice.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I've heard good things about the crossbreed supertuck, particularly for comfort. I work from home but over the weekend I wore my weapon out for like 15 hours straight and I swear I have a permanent gun imprint now behind my right hip. Otherwise, people are so oblivious and self absorbed that I can wear my weapon on top of my head and I swear no one will notice.
I work from home as well and carry all day long in a Crossbreed holster. A new one takes a day or two to break in and conform to your shape but it's not uncomfortable during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi